Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > $70 a month! Activate in store!

$70 a month! Activate in store!
ibook_steve
Jun 9, 2008, 09:14 PM

These are the things that get me the most about iPhone 3G, making it difficult for me to say yes. 7/11 is going to be insane with 10-12 minutes per activation in-store only!

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Cold Warrior
Jun 9, 2008, 09:23 PM

$70 is painful, not to mention the outrageous taxes and fees telephone service has (including cell service).

Ryanhdd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2008, 10:10 PM

yeah not to mention the 35.00 bucks a month for the 3g service and 5 for only a measly 200 text mess. at&t sucks they are getting every penny back and then some. i hate at&t thats really the worst thing about the iphone. but the iphone does have its flaws.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2008, 10:20 PM

The rate hike was probably the deal breaker for me unfortunately. In reality there is no real "deal" on the price drop. My wife and I text a lot, thousands a month. This would be $20 a person. We both would like internet. This is $30 a person. Throw in the cheapest $45 plan per person, and about $30 in tax for both of us, and the price is just unacceptable. And before someone comes in saying "if you cannot afford it is not for you", that is not the point here. In my situation at least, we could afford it no problem. But that doesn't change the fact that it is simply coming off of a lot of money. Too bad, I really wanted an iphone.

Ryanhdd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2008, 10:24 PM

geofries i am in the same boat. it just does not make sense to spend that kind of money for a phone.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2008, 10:25 PM

I'm hoping people drop the prices to about 150 on their unlocked 2g iphones and I'll snag a couple to use on tmobile.

jlemons
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2008, 10:32 PM

I am with you Geofries and Ryanhdd. I am really down. My wife and I have been waiting for this day and now AT&T has blown it for us. Yes, we can afford it but I don't want to afford it. I believe it is poor business on AT&Ts part. They charge for a service that is not in all areas. I don't even live within 2 hours of a 3G network. Also, they give you 200 off the price of the phone. But, over the 2 year contract with the higher rate, they make that back plus interest. It is crazy.

Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2008, 10:54 PM

Do you HAVE to get the $70 plan, or could I opt to get just voice for $40?

jlemons
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2008, 11:04 PM

Well now, that is the question I just came to ask. Are they going to require one to purchase the data plan? They shouldn't. Then I could get the voice plan and just use the internet with wifi. I would still have use of the GPS which would be nice. Does anyone know the answer to this question. Will you have to purchase a data plan?

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2008, 11:27 PM

I read that the data plan is now optional, so that makes it a bit more acceptable to those of us who aren't interested in texting and 3G.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 9, 2008, 11:32 PM

i also dont like the $9.99 per application.
... you can just jailbreak right now and get them all for free
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2008, 11:42 PM

I'm truly disappointed as this makes it impossible for those of us in countries that will probably never see the iPhone.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 01:25 AM

What about the family plans? Apple used to have one for $109. WIll this now be $119 or $129?

I wonder when we will have all of these nitty gritty details.

If I have two phones synced to one computer, do they share apps or will I have to pay for them twice???

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

moep
Senior User
Jun 10, 2008, 02:08 AM

Someone posted the whole confidential AT&T briefing for the iPhone 3G launch over at macrumors:

Mac Forums - View Single Post - AT&T and Apple Tightening Policies to Reduce iPhone Unlocking

They are really cracking down on unlocked iPhones, big time.
I don't care though, that just makes the challenge of getting one more fun.
Wonder what they are going to do in France where law requires an unlocked iPhone to be available.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
According to AT&T you will need to get add a data plan to the voice plan in order to activate the iPhone 3G.

Data Pricing will be as follows:

Consumer Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):
$30 - Unlimited Data (E-mail/Web), includes Visual Voicemail

Enterprise Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):
$45 – Unlimited Data with personal and corporate e-mail, web, includes Visual Voicemail

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by mkerr64 View Post
Or, you could just download the ones that are free and NOT buy the applications that are $9.99 (and that aren't available for the jailbroken iPhones, either).

k2director
Senior User
Jun 10, 2008, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by mkerr64 View Post
You're kidding, right? I hope so, because if developers can't make any money for their work, they're not going to end up developing a lot of cool applications.

Sheesh.

k2director
Senior User
Jun 10, 2008, 05:38 AM

I don't get it. First people complain that the $399 iPhone uses a slow EDGE connection ($20 a month), then Apple gives them a $199 3G iPhone a year later, and they complain about spending $10 more a month for much faster 3G service.

Wake up, people. $30 a month is a great deal with 3G unlimited service. And $199 is an amazing price for the iPhone. Time to appreciate what you have....

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 06:49 AM

Actually the iPhone is neither really cheaper nor is the data plan much more expensive. What has changed is how you pay for it.

24x($30-$20) = $240
$399-$199 = $200

Basically this can be considered the result of the new revenue sharing agreement between Apple and AT&T. The truth is you're paying $40 over the entire 24 months for faster data transfer rates. If you use data, not such a bad deal IMHO.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 07:13 AM

The higher monthly fees are what is causing me to ponder if the iPhone is for me. I'm paying under hundred for two phones now. My wife doesn't want an iphone but still. Having to pay for a package that includes enough minutes for both of us and all the other iphone specific stuff means some serious $$$

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 07:14 AM

So it's $10/mo more for faster data speeds. Big deal. I'm already paying an extra $20/mo for faster DSL speeds.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2008, 07:21 AM

I still have 25% discount off for monthly service charge from my company so it's still reasonable.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 08:24 AM

Data Pricing will be as follows:

Consumer Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):
$30 - Unlimited Data (E-mail/Web), includes Visual Voicemail

Enterprise Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):
$45 – Unlimited Data with personal and corporate e-mail, web, includes Visual Voicemail
Does anyone know what the difference between the two is? I hope they don't expect people to spend an extra $15 a month to be able to connect their iPhone to Exchange.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2008, 08:48 AM

For a non ATT customer it's the overall price plan that is hard to swallow. All ATT has to do is allow that $30 a month to include unlimited texting. Do this and I'm sold, as that creates real value. But $30 for the net, and an additional $20 for messaging is beyond screwing a person over.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 09:00 AM

^
I'm willing to bet that MILLIONS of people are going to disagree with you.

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Actually the iPhone is neither really cheaper nor is the data plan much more expensive. What has changed is how you pay for it.

24x($30-$20) = $240
$399-$199 = $200

Basically this can be considered the result of the new revenue sharing agreement between Apple and AT&T. The truth is you're paying $40 over the entire 24 months for faster data transfer rates. If you use data, not such a bad deal IMHO.
It's also going to be a lot more usable

Edge really is miserable...

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 09:21 AM

There's usually a lot of whining after a Jobs' keynote, but this is ridiculous.

What is it with people who feel entitled to MORE features, FASTER speeds, and a BETTER phone for LESS or EQUAL money than they are paying now?

I don't think some of you would be happy unless Apple decided to give the 3G iPhone to you for free, it was unlocked for use with any carrier, and all voice and data plans were subsidized by Apple so you don't have to pay anything.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post

What is it with people who feel entitled to MORE features, FASTER speeds, and a BETTER phone for LESS or EQUAL money than they are paying now?

I don't think some of you would be happy unless Apple decided to give the 3G iPhone to you for free, it was unlocked for use with any carrier, and all voice and data plans were subsidized by Apple so you don't have to pay anything.
Try me. Go ahead - do this, and let's see if I whine.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jun 10, 2008, 10:11 AM

Does anyone know for sure that text messaging will cost extra over the $30 data fee? Also, is there another method of "instant" messaging for the iPhone that does not use SMS (besides web based IM)? (sorry, I've never used an iPhone).

If I have to add $50 per phone (wife and I) for data and txt that is a little nutty. And WAY more than it was for the prior iPhone.

Anyone know? Thanks.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 10:25 AM

Why are you surprised that there's whining. btw after you factor in the costs, its not less or equal to the money they're paying now. While the upfront purchase price is less, you're locked in to a 2 year contract that looks like is a bit more expensive then before. So don't think we're getting MORE for LESS. That's not how business works, we're getting more for more $$$. I don't have a problem with this, I'm not whining. I'm evaluating my needs against my budget to determine if the iphone is a good fit for me personally.

Unmet expectations are usually the cause for the whining. People get whipped up in a frenzy of what might be released and when it doesn't measure up - the whining begins.

Kfunk
Jun 10, 2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Geofries View Post
All ATT has to do is allow that $30 a month to include unlimited texting. Do this and I'm sold, as that creates real value.
Agreed. If the price ends up being $50 for both (data/unlimited text) then that's just robbery.

Kfunk
Jun 10, 2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Geofries View Post
All ATT has to do is allow that $30 a month to include unlimited texting. Do this and I'm sold, as that creates real value.
Agreed. If the price ends up being $50 extra for both (data/unlimited text) then that's just robbery.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2008, 10:41 AM

$30 a month for unlimited 3G isn't too bad, but if you live in an area that doesn't have 3G service (like where I live) then it's just a waste. I'm moving in six months to an area that MAY have 3G coverage, so I guess I'll reevaluate at that time. At least I'll get the new 2.0 firmware features on my current iPhone.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2008, 10:56 AM

It doesn't seem like there's much beyond the 3G... so if you don't have 3G just stick with the current iPhone! Simple as that! (in response to JasonsRX7) I have no choice as my work doesn't let me hook up my macbook to their network. So I do all my personal email on my phone. I just keep praying that we can one day tether our phones to our laptops. I did this with my old sony ericsson phones and its the one thing that makes me still want to get one.... But with 3G, it's plenty fast enough to pull my sports scores (liking the new mlb.com application!) and grab/respond to emails.

However, again with the tethering, it would be nice to update my website with an internet connection to the macbook... or send a file on the macbook via email rather than putting it on a flash drive, and taking it to my tablet comp at work, then sending it that way. (hassle!)
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

-Q-
Jun 10, 2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
However, again with the tethering, it would be nice to update my website with an internet connection to the macbook... or send a file on the macbook via email rather than putting it on a flash drive, and taking it to my tablet comp at work, then sending it that way. (hassle!)
I'll be curious to see if Apple would even consider allowing a developer to upload a tethering application to the App Store. My guess would be no while they're locked into the AT&T exclusive deal, but maybe after that's over.

I'm personally on the fence. I'd love to get a 3G capable iPhone but I'm reluctant to extend my contract for another 2 years (currently in the middle of the first iPhone plan), on top of the increased cost of that plan. Ah, decisions, decisions.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 11:12 AM

That article also hints at the possibility that current AT&T customers may have to pay more for the iPhone? that would be a serious downer. I've been an AT&T/Cingular customer for about 6 years now, and currently am in the middle of a contract with them. If they had the nerve to ask me to pay more for the iPhone then someone who walked in off the street... well, I think that would be a dealbreaker for me.

I'm just wondering about family plans. You used to be able to get 2 iPhones, with 200 shared Text messages and unlimited data for $109 a month. I wonder what the new plan will cost? Will it be $129 with no text messages at all? Would I have to pay another $20 for texting? Because if I do, they can stick it where the sun don't shine.

The iPhone is an amazing piece of tech, but I'm only paying about $65 a month now for two phones that work just fine. I would be paying a whole lot more for what basically would be a fun toy.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 11:23 AM

AT&T: Only one iPhone 3G data plan; speeds ‘much faster’ | iLounge News

Following reader comments and questions, iLounge contacted AT&T to clarify ambiguous details on iPhone 3G service plans, which will be offered starting on July 11. We asked AT&T to clarify its stance on text messaging, which presently is included in AT&T’s $20 EDGE data plans for first-generation iPhones, but is not listed as an included feature in its $30 3G data service plan for iPhone 3G. Mark Siegel, Executive Director of Media Relations with AT&T Mobility said only that the company would “discuss details of data pricing, including text messaging, closer to launch.” When asked if iPhone 3G users, such as those living outside 3G coverage areas, would be able to sign up for the prior EDGE-only data plan instead, Siegel told iLounge that “[t]here is one price for the data component,” suggesting that the $30 a month data charge will apply to all iPhone 3G users regardless of the available service in their immediate area. When asked about Apple’s claim that performance of the 3G iPhone would be roughly 3 times current EDGE speeds—significantly slower than the 3G network’s capabilities—Siegel also told us that “depending on the situation, the [3G] download speeds can be much faster than mentioned by Apple. I think they were simply being careful in what they said and not overstating a claim.” We will continue to track reader inquiries on these topics and follow up with AT&T leading up to the iPhone 3G launch.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2008, 11:43 AM

*crosses fingers that text is included*

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Originally Posted by jlemons View Post
Well now, that is the question I just came to ask. Are they going to require one to purchase the data plan? They shouldn't. Then I could get the voice plan and just use the internet with wifi. I would still have use of the GPS which would be nice. Does anyone know the answer to this question. Will you have to purchase a data plan?
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I read that the data plan is now optional, so that makes it a bit more acceptable to those of us who aren't interested in texting and 3G.
This is also my question. I have no need for 3G right now and I can't afford it anyways. I'd rather use WiFi in my house and am content to use the iPhone's other features until I can spring for the data plan.

If they make you buy the 3G plan then no dice, I simply can't afford it.

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2008, 11:53 AM

You might want to check out the 3G coverage viewer on the AT&T website before jumping on the iPhone 3G bandwagon.

AT&T Coverage Viewer

My town isn't listed. While I do work in Chicago, I can only imagine the 3G service here is as bad, or worse than the Edge service (spotty and slow at best). It's moot point anyway, when I'm in the office I have access to WiFi so I don't need 3G. But on the train home it would be nice... but alas, I might have 10 minutes of 3G access - the rest of the time it's spotty Edge service.

Too bad.

The iPhone 3G doesn't really offer anything over my current iPhone except GPS - which isn't all that important to me. It's certainly not worth paying a penalty for upgrading to AT&T because my account isn't eligible for an upgrade yet. It's also not worth paying more money per month for data services that won't be any faster the vast majority of the time or more for unlimited texting. My current plan is cheaper...

I'm more excited about the 2.0 firmware update to my current iPhone.

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2008, 01:19 PM

Agreed, 3G is only a plus for those who have it. And for those of us in the 85%-90% of the AT&T network area that does not have 3G, it's a moot point.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 02:32 PM

Looks like coverage here is good. They even have it at my parents little lake cabin, which is good news for me.

ibook_steve  (op)
Jun 10, 2008, 03:25 PM

I think the big problem here is touting how much cheaper the new iPhone is and then getting screwed in the contract:

iPhone 3G: $199 + (24 x $70) = $1879
original iPhone: $299 + (24 x $60) = $1739

not counting taxes and fees. Yes, it is true you are getting more for slightly more money, but by Apple focusing on how much cheaper the phone itself is compared to the original makes people like me and others here angry. It's almost like a bait and switch.

Steve

OSXDamon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2008, 04:30 PM

I called 1.800.MY.APPLE and was told that come July 11th, I would be able to buy the iPhone online from Apple w/o a AT&T service contract and w/o any penalty for only $199.

Some of you others call and see if you get the same response...
Regards,
OSXDamon

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I think the big problem here is touting how much cheaper the new iPhone is and then getting screwed in the contract:

not counting taxes and fees. Yes, it is true you are getting more for slightly more money, but by Apple focusing on how much cheaper the phone itself is compared to the original makes people like me and others here angry. It's almost like a bait and switch.

Steve
It also depends upon how long you plan on keeping the phone. Stretch that out to 3 years, and it gets much worse.

iPhone 3G: $199 + (36 x $70) = $2719
original iPhone: $299 + (36 x $60) = $2459

The question for me though is if I'll be satisfied with my iPhone 3G in 2010. I've had my K790 for 2 years, and I'm ready for a change.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 05:08 PM

It will probably be cheaper in two years. There will be a lot more competition between companies over these data plans and it should drive prices down. Right?

Then again, in 2 years there will probably be a 4G network that costs $50 a month.

k2director
Senior User
Jun 10, 2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post

Steve
Come on, give me a break! Bait and switch?

If you buy any 3G phone and subscribe to 3G service (from AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint), you're going to get charged a data fee that's similar if not higher than AT&T's $30 a month. There's no avoiding that if you want a 3G phone.

Somehow, I get the feeling that you complainers would have been more satisfied if Apple kept the iPhone 3G price at $399, and THEN you had to pay $30 a month for 3G speeds on top of that. At least then there wouldn't be the "hypocrisy" of claiming the new iPhone is cheaper!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 06:10 PM

Apple and AT&T are going on about cheaper iPhones but the reality is that they aren't. AT&T is subsidizing the price but they're more than making it up with the new data plans, which go on top of any extension of the service plan when you get the new phone.

In the long run, people are going to pay more for longer than the current setup.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ibook_steve  (op)
Jun 10, 2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Apple and AT&T are going on about cheaper iPhones but the reality is that they aren't. AT&T is subsidizing the price but they're more than making it up with the new data plans, which go on top of any extension of the service plan when you get the new phone.

In the long run, people are going to pay more for longer than the current setup.
To k2director, this is exactly my point. Less expensive was one of Steve's main bullet points, but we've proven here that that is simply not the case.

Steve

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2008, 07:21 PM

Does it have MMS?
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2008, 07:40 PM

I am not whining. But if AT&T makes me pay for a data plan when I don't want one, when my home is not even in their coverage area, and when there is no 3G network within an hour of my house...I'm going to be angry.

The argument that "you're getting more, stop complaining about a mere $10" does not apply to those of us wanting to get an iPhone for the first time, without a data plan. Being gouged $720 would be a deal breaker for me.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Forum Links
Forum Rules