Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Which Motherboards fit in which Macs?

Which Motherboards fit in which Macs?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2000, 12:18 AM

I have a 7500 with many upgrades, like dual 604e's, 128MBRAM, CDR, etc. I love it but i'm sick of it taking up all my desk. I have a plan, I want to buy a 8X00/9X00 case, power supply, and mother board, and transplant all of my goodies to it, so I will have a nice tower taking up little space. I also have very little cash to spend on this. I know I can pick up a tower and motherboard on ebay, but picking up mathing ones may be difficult, so i need toknow if any (or all) mother boards will fit in different models of the towers. I know 8000's and 9000's are different so probably none of thier motherboards are swappable, but what about an 8100 with an 8500? Stuff like that? Also I wouldn't want a motherboard that is slower than my 7500's, which has a bus speed of 50MHz, comapred to the 8100's motherboard's bus speed of 40MHz. But an 8500's motherbaord in an 8100 tower would be quite affordable and be a nice solution to my problems. Have I over explained it enough yet? Hope so.
Also I'd love to have a 9000 system just for all those extra PCI slots, but that would probably be too much loot unless I get lucky on ebay.

------------------
I see dead people.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2000, 12:47 AM

or even better, will my 7500 motherboard fit in any of the 8000 cases?

------------------
I see dead people.

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2000, 09:46 AM

If you go to www.everymac.com, and look up the specs of any Macintosh, you will notice a category called "form factor". This tells you what motherboards fit in what cases with no modification. For example, the SE, SE FDHD, and SE/30 all have a form factor of SE.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2000, 10:43 AM

Yes, but i need to know if any mother board from the 7500's will fit in any of the 8000 towers, which is a totally different form factor, but still might be the same size motherbaord. I know someone has done this before!

------------------
I see dead people.

The Wolfe
Jun 26, 2000, 04:11 PM

No. Your 7500 logic board will not fit inside an 8100 case. It has to do with the powersupply connector placement, and other little issues. I wouldn't suggest an 8100 case anyway.

It is very doubtful that the 7500 board will fit inside a 9500 case either, even though it's a bigger case with more room.

------------------
-Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2000, 07:56 PM

Is there any otwer that my 7500 board can fit in? Even a quadra 900? I can deal with a little modification of that's what it takes. What about PC towers, would it work in one of those (I'd just stick apple stickers all over it)?

------------------
I see dead people.

funkymonkey
Jun 27, 2000, 12:27 PM

after looking at a few diagrams that i found at www.macgurus.com it appears that a 7500/7600 motherboard is the same thing as an 8500..

Forum Links
Forum Rules