Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > superdrive

superdrive
halki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2003, 11:54 AM

hi
can i backup my dvd collection with my superdrive? . i have just ordered a new powerbook which is my first apple.
thanks

tr
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 12:00 PM

http://www.dvd2one.com/

you're going to have to rip the DVD first, though. do a search in the Digital Video and Audio forums

tr

halki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2003, 12:12 PM

is there no software that justs makes a clone of the dvd so its just like backing up an audio cd

ta

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 7, 2003, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by halki:
is there no software that justs makes a clone of the dvd so its just like backing up an audio cd
That is not usually possible.

1) DVDs are encrypted.
2) Many DVDs use dual-layer discs. Won't fit on a single DVD-R.

There are some commercial non-encrypted single-layer discs out there, but they are few and far between. Toast works fine for those.

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2003, 01:08 PM

Why would you want to back up your DVD collection anyway?

If you lose or damage a disc buy a new one, it would be cheaper, most are less than $20 now. Plus current DVD's hold around 60 Minutes, when was the last time you saw a 60 minute movie. So you would need 2 Discs and then your at $8-10 in blanks, throw in another $10 and you have your original again.

But if your backing up Home Videos thats a different story.

tr
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by thirsty:
Why would you want to back up your DVD collection anyway?

If you lose or damage a disc buy a new one, it would be cheaper, most are less than $20 now. Plus current DVD's hold around 60 Minutes, when was the last time you saw a 60 minute movie. So you would need 2 Discs and then your at $8-10 in blanks, throw in another $10 and you have your original again.

But if your backing up Home Videos thats a different story.
ummm...that's why i posted that link in the second comment:

http://www.dvd2one.com/

while most studio DVD's are dual layer, and larger than 4.7 GB, you can back them up to one DVD-R with programs like this. and where'd you get $8 for blanks? even apple's own brand of DVD-R's are only $3 each. you can get cheap stuff for $1 or less.

tr

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 11:43 PM

Its possible.. using DVD2onex etc.

However.. realistically the time involved is just overwhelming.

You'll end up spending many many hours per dvd doing the filters, ripping, burning etc.

Then.. the final product will be of lower quality. Most movies don't fit on the 4.7 gig DVD-4 so you have to lower the quality which DVD2onex does automatically. Its pretty minor, but it is lower quality.. sorta like Video quality I'd say.

Also.. be very careful ....on some movies for some reason whole chapters get lost...so before you burn make sure everything in the movie is there!

For what DVD's cost in stores I'd say its not worth it.... thats my own humble opinion though.

I was just at a Wal-Mart super center and they were selling DVD's for under 6 bucks. (ok..has-been titles..but still). (I picked up Arnold Swarzenegger in Last Action Hero for under 6 bucks... kinda topical only...seeing if Gray Davis is in there somewhere.

Some good stuff for 9 bucks and almost everything else at 14.99.

Thank you for Shopping Wal-Mart.

hunkhuang
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2003, 02:20 AM

i agree !!

17" widescreen LCD, 1GHz PowerPC G4,
1GB DDR266 SDRAM, 80GB Ultra ATA HD,
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, 64MB DDR video memory

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2003, 02:38 AM

Just thinking, it would be an idea to backup multiple movie DVDs to large harddisks. A 120G HD could hold... about 12 movies or more. I'm not sure of the current costs of HDs though, although they reliably become cheaper all the time.

Another idea would be to look for places where your scratched DVDs could be "cleaned" or "polished". Some DVD rental places have those, and might help.

Just some thoughts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules