Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbook owners got screwed!

New Powerbook owners got screwed!
eScrib
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 09:11 AM

Looks like for those of us that wanted to get our hands on the latest PB revisions got the door slammed in our faces by Apple.

We'll have to all pay FULL price ($129) for Panther if you purchased your new AlBook prior to today. But yet all G5 owners, regardless of purchase date will get it for just the shipping & handling charge?

Does this make ANY sense???

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 09:17 AM

My Albook should be shipping 10/10/03

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 09:18 AM

Seems like an absolute joke to me... typical Apple.

If I were a new PB owner, I would be firing off complaints immediately...

I bought my Ti in September and still feel a bit pissed.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 09:19 AM

That does suck, luckily ADC members will get a free copy of Panther.

hazelnutcoffeeg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 09:22 AM

i'll just cancel my order and reorder it.

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 09:23 AM

If my pb has not shippped yet, can i cancel the order??

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by StevenWRX:
Yes, as long as they haven't ship it yet, you can cancel your order anytime before it.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

legacyb4
Mac Elite

Picked up my PB 12" last Friday (October 3)... I could have waited another week, I suppose but the local store had some limited stock and didn't want to get screwed by being on a waiting list.

Guess I got screwed anyway...

Originally posted by eScrib:
Looks like for those of us that wanted to get our hands on the latest PB revisions got the door slammed in our faces by Apple.

We'll have to all pay FULL price ($129) for Panther if you purchased your new AlBook prior to today. But yet all G5 owners, regardless of purchase date will get it for just the shipping & handling charge?

Does this make ANY sense???

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster

Yep think so, as long as it hasn't gone through on your credit card...

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 09:27 AM

What do you guys think??? cancel it? or pay the $69 for Panther through the edu discount??

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 09:29 AM

Then again, I've got a dual 1.25 G4 on backorder for work which is estimated not to ship for another 2-3 weeks due to BTO options.

Wonder if they will ship it with Panther at this point?

Cheers.

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Seems like an absolute joke to me... typical Apple.

If I were a new PB owner, I would be firing off complaints immediately...

I bought my Ti in September and still feel a bit pissed.

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 09:32 AM

I'm on the phone right now with Apple.

It doesn't seem like they're going to do squat. I'm having a hard time containing my anger here at work.

This is complete and TOTAL garbage.

Update: They won't do a DAMN thing.

I'm mad.

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 09:33 AM

They wont do anything as in.... a free upgrade?

Im ten min away from getting with apple and canceling mine too...

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 09:37 AM

They wont do anything as in.... a free upgrade?

Im ten min away from getting with apple and canceling mine too...

Won't do a damn thing... "Sorry sir, but the terms and conditions are clearly defined. You'll have to pay the $129 price."

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer

Just curious as to where they are saying the G5's are getting a free upgrade. Couldn't find it browsing the site.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

nobitacu
Mac Elite

What do you guys think??? cancel it? or pay the $69 for Panther through the edu discount??
Well... let's look at it this way... if you cancel it and, you might have to wait up to 2 weeks after Panther is out for those new Powerbooks to come with Panther loaded. Unless they are fast on this this time and have Powerbooks also loaded with Panther already on the 24th. You might also get on a waiting list, because there are a lot of people waiting for this day to order their powerbooks, so... you might be on the back of the list... a month wait even. I would just pay the $69 anyways... it's not as bad as $129. But of course... it's up to you... You might just get lucky and not have to wait at all... Call them and ask them how long will it take for them to ship out your Powerbook if you choose to cancel your current one and have one with Panther loaded. Maybe they will give you a break and just ship yours with a free Panther Box if you cancel and reorder your Powerbook today.

Ming

bonk

I knew Apple would do something like this. It's just like the FCP4 upgrade. I purchased FCP3 just before version 4 was announced ... sigh.
Dual 500 G4 :: 576mb :: 180gb (120+40+20)
17" PB G4 1.33 gHz :: 1gb :: 80 gb @ 5400rpm

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 09:39 AM

As much as I want *need* 10.3, I will hold of on ordering it until this is resolved.

Not good PR on Apple's part, especially since the G5'rs can get and we can't ??

BS
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

EvanV
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 09:39 AM

WTF? I would cancel myn right now, but I have that iPod rebate w/ printer so I don't want to lose out on that. I phoned them yesterday, and they haven't even started building myn yet and I ordered 9/26/03. Said it would ship on 10/03/03, but status was on Open so I decided to see what's up and after like an hour wait on the phone, she took 20 seconds to say they haven't even started to build it yet.

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 09:41 AM

Well.... I guess im going to just keep my order and get Panther when the .1 update comes out...or if people begin to report that 10.3 is running without problems...

Who knows...$69 isnt too bad..

But I will be canceling the order if it does not ship by the 10th..

pinkjelly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 09:44 AM

(hi, i'm new here btw)

i'm in the same boat as you... ordered pb12, expected to ship 10/10.
personally i'd rather have my pb sooner and pay the edu discount $69... but that's just me.

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 09:49 AM

is your order still saying "open"?

damn, this is getting really frustrating... Apple, just hurry up and ship ours!

Porco
Oct 8, 2003, 09:56 AM

I am with you guys, bought my AL just recently and they screwed me? Screw them! I am running Panther now!!! This is definitely bad PR on their part.

PLin
Oct 8, 2003, 09:56 AM

For those of you who are thinking of cancelling your existing orders and placing new ones to get Panther for the Up-To-Date price of $19.95, don't forget that last time, Apple only provided Upgrade CD's that weren't capable of doing a fresh install onto a formatted hard drive.

Perhaps you should wait until the PowerBooks are definitely shipping with Panther to get the full install CD's and save $19.95.

For those who qualify for academic pricing, I think paying $50 more for the full install CD's is well worth it, so I wouldn't waste the $19.95 for the Upgrade CD's even if I had ordered my PowerBook today.

madhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 10:01 AM

I am from INDIA, I would be picking up a PB 12" by this month...i am waiting fro some paper work for easy pay...that should fall through by next week....but the dealer out here has stock..so i guess it would be with Jaguar and not Panther...can I request for Panther instead???
12" AlPowerBook, 40GB, 758 MBRAM....waiting for a iPod :-)

jersey
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 10:02 AM

so i have had my powerbook almost a year. when it arrived there were green coupons labeled "software upgrade" or something like that. does anyone know what i'm talking about or am i alone here? if thats in fact what they are couldnt you use it to upgrade to panther?

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 10:07 AM

What does the coupon say? How come it doesn't have you free Panther? I remember before they did...

Ming

EvanV
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 10:07 AM

is your order still saying "open"?

damn, this is getting really frustrating... Apple, just hurry up and ship ours!
Myn has been open for like 2 weeks. Well since 9/26/03. Making me so mad.

jojobe99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 10:23 AM

Does any one halve a link to this announcement?
A: So what do you do for a living?
B: I fix computers.
A: Can you fix mine?
B: Probably, what is it?
A: a Mac
B:YIKES!
A:What do you have against Macs?
B:Nothing, it's just I have never seen one break.

jersey
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
What does the coupon say? How come it doesn't have you free Panther? I remember before they did...

Ming
I dont have it in front of me...next time I leave my studio I'll look for it at home. But as far as I can recall it says "Software Update" or something like that. There were 3 of them included.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 10:33 AM

Here's the policy,

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

they left some gray area by saying purchased rather than ordered.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 10:39 AM

Do ADC members for CERTAIN get a free copy mailed to them in their monthly mailings? I got Jaguar for free, Panther would be nice!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

janmc
Oct 8, 2003, 10:44 AM

what does adc stand for?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by janmc:
what does adc stand for?
Apple Developer Connection...just "Search" for a post w/ ADC in the text and use my username as another search guide and you'll find out all about it
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 10:53 AM

Whas the scoop with ADC? I want to be in the club. This really sucks man- what's so special about G5's? My powerbook cost $400 more than the high end G5 and yet I don't get the upgrade? I bought mine in August =(
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle."

Nessie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 10:54 AM

I don't know, there has to be a cut off point sometime. I needed my PB as soon as possible and couldn't wait for Panther. $69 for an upgrade doesn't sound unreasonable to me. It is, after all, for a good cause--Apple. How bad are things in the PC world, with lousy technology, viruses, extortionary software licenses, etc.? I'll consider my $69 as a tax to free of all that.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Do ADC members for CERTAIN get a free copy mailed to them in their monthly mailings? I got Jaguar for free, Panther would be nice!
Yes, I think people specifically said usually a month after it's been out, so probably in November/December's monthly mailing. I don't mind waiting as I'd rather wait with a new OS update to see if there are any issues and subsequent point updates. The $99 fee has already paid itself off

madhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 10:57 AM

Hi....could someone please tel me what is an ADC? (excuse my asking a silly question if it sounds so...new to Mac)....and how can we become a member...??

xGrape
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:02 AM

Bleh, this is ridiculus.

One thing would be that you had to order today, or later - but letting all G5 owners get it, regardless of purchase date? Why? The PowerBooks were released like 2 weeks ago, the G5s like 2 months ago. There is no logic in this!

Anyone care to setup a petition? Yes I know, its useless and yadi yadi... but still?
12" PowerBook, 1GHz, 1.25 GB RAM, 60 GB HD, Dell 20" Widescreen

madhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:08 AM

Hey there Assassyn...howd??? well..i got a ques....i have decided on that 12" Al.PB. Waiting for some paper work for the easey pay scheme this dealer has to offer...it should clear by next week. but this dealer has ready stock....so does that mean that it would not ship with Panther but it would be only Jaguar??? can I ask them for a replacement OS?

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2003, 11:12 AM

All I can say is TREAT EVERYONE EQUALLY, APPLE! Set a cutoff date and make everyone pay if they purchased before that date.

What sense does it make to treat PowerBook purchasers and others as second-class citizens compared to G5 purchasers, particularly in the case of PowerBooks where the purchase price is the same? It's just plain stupid.

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 11:22 AM

All this bellyachin' is pointless. Everyone in this forum knew Panther was coming. Everyone knew it was close to completion. All of you could have waited until you knew for sure what the upgrade paths were. As I remember, before the Powerbooks were released everyone was mad cause they weren't out yet. Then everyone ordered them and was mad they hadn't shipped yet. Now everyone is mad cause they don't get Panther for free. Are people in these forums ever satisfied?

Just remember, Apple spends a lot of money on OS upgrades and R&D. If we all want Apple to succeed, we need to support $129 upgrades to the OS. It is not *that* much money. And most people on here are students and will get a reduced rate anyway.

I for one am happy to pay for Panther. I don't expect Apple to hand out software just because I purchased my Powerbook last month. That is ridiculous.

-b

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 11:23 AM

ADC is a group of Apple Developers that get great benefits upon joining, and although joining is expensive for most, you can get these benefits for only $99 if you're enrolled in a college even part time, regardless of class load or class scheduling. One of the greatest benefits is a one-time 20% off discount on the purchase of an Apple computer & Apple accessories. Here's how you can join:

"Just go to http://connect.apple.com and select "Join" to purchase a Student Membership. Put a Student Membership in your cart and "Check-Out". Pay your $99, fill out all the info. it asks (including your Student ID [many universities, including my own, simply use your Social Security # as your ID, so if you're unsure, check into it first] at your college, this is very important), and order it. You'll then be instantly ready to purchase via the Student Discount. You do so by heading HERE and click that banner that says "ADC Hardware Purchase Program" to enter the ADC Store. Wowww look at the pretty prices!

Okay, after you're through gawking, get to ordering! Just put whatever you want in your cart, and make absolute *SURE!* you get everything you need, because once the order is placed, that discount is FOREVER gone, regardless of what you "forgot" to order at the time of purchase. Too, many things in accessories won't be discounted, as it's the Apple-made hardware that's discounted. For instance, a Microsoft mouse will be the same price through the ADC store as the normal one, so don't be shocked, only Apple stuff is discounted, but even the small things like Power Adapters, batteries, etc. are discounted if made by Apple.

Then, place your order, give them your name, shipping info., credit card info., etc. and you're set! Things will begin to ship as they become available. In about a week or two you'll get an email from Apple requesting a FAX from you to them with your College letter of Acceptance (original, no copies) OR your current Class Schedule from your University, PLUS your Student ID card or Driver's License. Also, if you want to type out a page stating your full name, address, and your ADC Membership Confirmation Number (that'll be included in the email they'll send you after you've paid your $99 to confirm that you're in) and fax that page too, it speeds up there confirmation process. Once that's in to Apple, they won't email you telling you it's done, but keep a check on your account at connect.apple.com, and you'll see your Assets (ADC Student Membership and ADC Mailings) become updated w/ a current date, which will be the date they confirmed you after your faxes. This confirmation of faxes allows them to start sending your monthly mailings of free code, free info., free t-shirts, free programs, etc. for a one-year period (very cool stuff!). After that one-year, you can renew for $99 for another year, and you'll continue to get all your monthly goodies, but you will NOT ever receive another 20% discount, even with renewing. That discount is for joiners only, unfortunately, so use it very wisely!"
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by madhu:
Hey there Assassyn...howd??? well..i got a ques....i have decided on that 12" Al.PB. Waiting for some paper work for the easey pay scheme this dealer has to offer...it should clear by next week. but this dealer has ready stock....so does that mean that it would not ship with Panther but it would be only Jaguar??? can I ask them for a replacement OS?

It'll ship w/ Jaguar, so you'll sadly hafta pay the upgrade costs to Panther.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

madhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:31 AM

oh shoot!!!!!....if I book the order by next week, then do i have a chance of having Panther??? though the dealer informed me that he has a beta version of Panther, he would provide me with that....will that be ok??? or s hould I insist the Panther itself since I will be placing the order only by next week?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 11:33 AM

If you order it today or later, you'll get Panther for only a $20 upgrade fee.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

madhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:36 AM

If you order it today or later, you'll get Panther for only a $20 upgrade fee.
Oh, so it still would not ship with Panther, but i'll get a upgrade for $20??? sounds better than paying for the complete installation....

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by madhu:
Oh, so it still would not ship with Panther, but i'll get a upgrade for $20??? sounds better than paying for the complete installation....
Exactly, it'll come w/ jag, but you'll get panther for $20.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

madhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:40 AM

Exactly, it'll come w/ jag, but you'll get panther for $20.
But you suggest that it is better than the Beta version which is available now right??? even I felt the same...

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 11:42 AM

O.k., is it just me, or...

When I look at this page:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

It says that people who purchased a machine AFTER October 8 can upgrade for $19.95. The new Powerbooks are listed in the "Qualifying new Macintosh" section, for example this is the code for the 15" Superdrive model:

M8981LL/A

So, anyone who bought a machine after the 8th WILL qualify for the cheap upgrade fee.

For the people who bought a machine say, in September, you didn't get screwed...that's life!

If I buy a 2003 truck from Ford or Chevy, then a month later the 2004 trucks come out I certainly can't go into the dealership and have a temper tantrum about it. I knew that new ones were coming, I chose to purchase when I did. My choice, my bed to lie in.

I don't get, however, why the G5 people get the cheap upgrade regardless of purchase date...that seems like a joke. As mentioned above, one rule for everyone!

Forum Links
Forum Rules