Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > PowerBook + T68i as modem - disconnecting after few seonds idle

PowerBook + T68i as modem - disconnecting after few seonds idle
xGrape
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2004, 01:17 PM

Im using a 12" PowerBook and a SonyEricsson T68i as a modem for it. Using the built-in Bluetooth adapter in the PowerBook. It works, but I get disconnected after a few seconds (or perhaps like 30 seconds) of idle-time. Kinda irritating since I must tickle the connection all the time, and stupid too, since I dont pay per-the-minute with GPRS. My operator tells me there is nothing in their network that disconnects me, I cant seem to find any settings on my phone that disconnects me. And, I have turned off auto-disconnect in the Network settings preference pane. Any ideas?
12" PowerBook, 1GHz, 1.25 GB RAM, 60 GB HD, Dell 20" Widescreen

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by xGrape:
Im using a 12" PowerBook and a SonyEricsson T68i as a modem for it. Using the built-in Bluetooth adapter in the PowerBook. It works, but I get disconnected after a few seconds (or perhaps like 30 seconds) of idle-time. Kinda irritating since I must tickle the connection all the time, and stupid too, since I dont pay per-the-minute with GPRS. My operator tells me there is nothing in their network that disconnects me, I cant seem to find any settings on my phone that disconnects me. And, I have turned off auto-disconnect in the Network settings preference pane. Any ideas?
what service?
if its TMobile you might not have a proper gateway defined

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 12, 2004, 04:41 PM

Check out my thread here.

I had the same problem with my TiBook+Bluetooth with SE T610, which has now been corrected, by a "keep-alive" 3rd party function. Details in the link.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2004, 02:56 PM

um, surely you've already tried using something you already have built-in...the ping function in the Network Utility app?

I run this when connected to high-speed Net via USB on my SprintPCS phone...just pinging yahoo.com or something keeps the connection constant, ALSO reestablishes the link if you get dropped for other reasons such as signal loss...

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 10:08 AM

Question regarding the phone as a modem using bluetooth:
What modem do you select in the "bluetooth modem" tab?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
Question regarding the phone as a modem using bluetooth:
What modem do you select in the "bluetooth modem" tab?
Which phone do you have and are you using GPRS?

I'm on GPRS, and using 3rd party Sony Ericsson GPRS scripts (free) for OS X. Various GRPS scripts are here.

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2004, 01:46 PM

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Which phone do you have and are you using GPRS?

I'm on GPRS, and using 3rd party Sony Ericsson GPRS scripts (free) for OS X. Various GRPS scripts are here.
Thanks for the links guys. I'm using a P900 and OS X won't recognize it as a mobile phone yet (even tho i can send/receive files), so I keep getting a "Could not open the communication device" error.
Any ideas for a way around this?

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2004, 03:08 PM

A little off-topic:

I've got a similar setup, except mine's an iBook.

I could only get to the point where the T68i shows Connecting > Authenticating, and then it gets stuck there.

It shows Authenticating for quite some time and nothing seems to happen.

Any help?

Cheers.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules