Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Headsets for Skype ++?

Headsets for Skype ++?
xGrape
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 06:02 PM

So I have to set up some kind of audio input for use with Skype.

Right now I have an iSight that I could use, together with a headset. I'm just not sure if the quality of what I send would be as good as it could be then. The iSight would be located quite a bit away from me. I'm talking about the mic in iSight of course, I know there's no video capabilities in Skype

I then thought about getting a headset with mic, but am I correct in that I won't be able to use any of the cheap pc headsets with my PowerBook? Because it has a line in port, and not an ordinary mic input? So it would need some kind of amp? I tried a couple cheap PC mics without luck. I do have a Griffin iMic I could use, but its just very buggy, and an overall crappy solution. And extra stuff to drag around with my otherwise portable setup.

So I guess my best bet would be a USB headset? I'm leaning towards one from Logitech right now. They're not incredibly expensive, and I hear the sound quality should be pretty good (in USB audio devices in general). Any suggestions? Other fairly cheap, good-looking USB headsets? Other solutions?
12" PowerBook, 1GHz, 1.25 GB RAM, 60 GB HD, Dell 20" Widescreen

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2004, 08:19 AM

Should be just fine with the built in mic, or iSight mic. Thats what I have been using.
If you have any problems at all with echo's or feedback, then this can be helped with plugging in some ordinary headphones. No need for a headset..
The only slight problem i have with using the built in mic on my 12" powerbook, is that it can pick up a lot of the fan noise. No such issue with the iSight mic tho.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2004, 04:58 PM

Using SKYPE beta? or did the final come out?

xGrape  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2004, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by m2bored:
Using SKYPE beta? or did the final come out?
It's still in beta.

So it looks like I will end up using a regular pair of headphones and the iSight. However, based on the results (haven't tried yet), I might purchase a Logitech USB headset.

FYI: USB headsets have been confirmed working with the Skype OSX beta - Bluetooth based headsets don't (yet).
12" PowerBook, 1GHz, 1.25 GB RAM, 60 GB HD, Dell 20" Widescreen

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 03:43 PM

Resurrecting this thread because I'm looking for a (non-Bluetooth) headset for Skype. Anyone have one to recommend? Either USB or analog would be fine.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2004, 10:15 AM

It'll probably have to be USB since line-in jacks on Macs are non-amplified and wont work with most microphones (even those on headsets) without a boost of some sort ... like an iMic.

Personally, I have a sweet pair of Sennheiser headphones that I love too dearly to replace when using Skype. So, I just bought an iMic and a inexpensive labtech directional microphone. This setup works great and sounds great.
[edit]
BTW, you know that Skype was just updated again on 12-29. It supposedly supports BT now.
( Last edited by Krusty; Dec 30, 2004 at 10:20 AM. )

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2004, 10:27 AM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2004, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by ajprice:
http://www.skype.com/products/skype/...changelog.html

Looks like it does support BT now.
Yeah, I knew that, but I'm not particularly interested in Bluetooth on my primary Mac anyways. Planning to go with the Logitech USB headset...
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules