Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Crucial vs other memory

Crucial vs other memory
xGrape
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2005, 12:02 PM

What's you experience with memory and Macs? I'm thinking of adding a 1GB module to my 12" PB, but the prices vary a lot! Crucial is about twice the price of other brands, but I keep hearing it's the only thing one should consider...
12" PowerBook, 1GHz, 1.25 GB RAM, 60 GB HD, Dell 20" Widescreen

LORL
Mar 20, 2005, 12:21 PM

You should search for other threads, however, a 1 gig Crucial stick is a waste of money, IMO.

Unless you are looking at the 512 MB or lower, I would say forget Crucial.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2005, 12:21 PM

There are only a few makers of memory chips in the entire world. I don't know how many, but about three, four, or maybe five. It cost more than $1 billion to build a factory.

The variation in brands comes from the companies that build the memory chips onto modules. But since the chips themselves are commodities I don't think there is much room to screw up the modules. Therefore, I have never been loyal to any particular brand.

Beyond the memory, though, you might want to consider the sellers reputation and warranty. Crucial is good on both counts. But those, and familiarity are the only reasons to recommend Crucial RAM. I personally won't pay their high prices.

Just two days ago, I order this module for my 12" Powerbook. It's hard to beat $130 for a 1GB DIMM! Plus, Kingston is another company with a good reputation.

Chris

brother337
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2005, 05:13 PM

I also usually order from Crucial, but their prices for 1 gig memory are ridiculously high. I got a gig stick from newegg.com and it's worked like a charm and has a lifetime warranty. I can't remember what the brand is (Kingmax?), but it was under $150 at the time. I was nervous about not using Crucial like I usually do, but nothing's happened so far.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

Chito
Senior User
Mar 20, 2005, 05:44 PM

There have been probably a million threads on this and a million different answers. I use Crucial and only Crucial. It's worth it to me to know that I've never had an issue related to ram. Many people here have had a similar experience with other brands but I've also seen just as many who have had issues that they've traced to their ram. The choice is your's, there is no absolute answer that works for everyone. Go with what you feel comfortable with and what you can afford.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2005, 06:22 PM

I bought a Geil 1 GB PC3200 module for my Mac mini and installed it yesterday. It cost me about $135. Works perfectly.

I might have considered Crucial if I only wanted 512 MB, but let's face it, they overcharge by a HUGE amount for their 1 GB modules. They may come down eventually but for the time being they're really overpriced.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

xGrape  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2005, 07:03 PM

Thanks for all reports. I'm thinking of getting the Samsung 1 GB module from OWC. It's supposedly the same one Apple supply - and from what I heard, Crucial use Samsungs chips in their modules. So it's high quality.

It's $239 right now. Expensive you say? Well, if I tell you the equivelant is $450 over here at the moment (crazy worthless dollar), you might understand Now the $450 I mention is from Crucial, have yet to find Samsung memory in Norway. But hey - since it's basically the same module, no worries.
12" PowerBook, 1GHz, 1.25 GB RAM, 60 GB HD, Dell 20" Widescreen

Forum Links
Forum Rules