Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Frankenbook 12"

Frankenbook 12"
x.l.r.8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2008, 07:42 PM

Like many others I have a bad video G3 500Mhz 12 iBook. i would repair it but for 2 reasons, 1) I already have another that works fine, 2) it was brought as a replacement (clearer screen) for my Pismo G3 500 Powerbook. The new machine was a major dissapointment, the Board speed being slower than my old powerbook making it a downgrade. My Pismo is with my sister who naturally loves it and I was looking at a few additions to my new new replacement (G4 Ti) and decided to have a go at building a different iBook.
Here goes, i have a good case and screen from the 500, the keyboard does not work but will donate half its buttons to make a chequerboard one for this creation. I have found by removing some of the ribbing I think I can fit a stripped down bluetooth dongle into the case hardwiring it from the usb port with an old IDE cable from a desktop. So i'm still stuck without a logicboard, I have been looking at alternitives and trying hard to match up their picture, and so far I can see that the G3 700Mhz should fit, does anyone know if anthing else will fit like a 800 or 900 from a 14 or another 12 or are they incompatible. The 700 looks to have the video in the corret place but I cannot see if the speaker plug is in the same location. Also I have read that the DVI powerbook Ti screens do not work i the earlier versions of the Ti range, would this be a problem having a later logic board mated to an early monitor or would you jsut be able to change the resolution settings to accomidate the possibly lower resoultion screen. i know this is pertaining to a different range of laptop but I don't want to find the same mistake that some have done by relacing the whole top lid only to find out not all 15 inch screens are the same?.
thats all for the moment, i'm having a break for a while so i can carry on masking up the plastic lid for painting. Then it's off to try and find the smallest bluetooth device i can find.
( Last edited by x.l.r.8; Feb 27, 2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: slight changes)
iMac G4 17" 1Ghz,
Powerbook G4 Ti 15" 1Ghz
iBook G3 12 500Mhz
Enough parts to start making Frankenbook!

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2008, 10:15 PM

Cool idea, send me the specs because i might want to try it, i just bought a puny dongle, the components are in the port tho, it might not work

Forum Links
Forum Rules