Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Question re: Mac OS

Question re: Mac OS
shawnb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 1999, 10:49 PM

OK, i've been a Mac user for awhile now, and I can't figure this one out...
Say I have a cdrom and a zip drive mounted on the desktop and the computer is idle. If i start up an app (say netscape), suddenly the cdrom spins up and then the zip drive is accessed. Now suddenly the 5 secs it usually takes to launch netscape (with no external media mounted)takes 15 or more seconds. I assume this is caused by the way the mac keeps track of where files are, but is there a way around this? I figured this would be the best place to ask!

Shawn

P.S. I'm running 8.6 on a rev. b iMac.

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 1999, 06:44 PM

You're not going to like this, but the best way to stop that is to eject the disk when you are done with it.

You will notice that happens any time you go to a dialog box, such as save or place (in a graphics program) I guess is does that so that everything is available to the program.

Some of the programmers out there may have a more accurate description of this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules