Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > 128mb. 8600GT for gaming (mbp)??

128mb. 8600GT for gaming (mbp)??
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Sep 1, 2007, 09:51 PM

I plan to invest in a new base model MacBook Pro come October. I do not need the higher end models for the work I plan to do in school (programming, amature web development), however, I do want to play some newer FPS games. I have been itching to try S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and BioShock looks just plain sick. My only concern is how well equipped the MBP is out of the box.

For the sake of the thread, here's the specs:

2.2gHz Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa)
2gb. RAM
128mb. NVIDIA GeForce 8600m GT

On another note, I do have an idea that may or may not help out in this situation. Back in the day when I had my iBook G4, I used a program called ATIccelerator to overclock the GPU. Does something like this exist now that works with NVIDIA cards (OSX or Windows)?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 10:12 PM

Unfortunately, no Mac is made very well for games. Apple uses bottom-end video cards in all their machines. Don't plan on your macbook being much of a gaming machine unless you spring for the 256 MB option.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2007, 06:59 AM

There have been countless threads about this in the Macbook Pro section. Honestly, you'll be fine with the low end model as long as you boot into XP.

Here are bench mark tests looking at the difference VRAM takes into account.

MacBook Pro "Santa Rosa" - 128M vs 256M VRAM

The 9% processor difference is what is most apparent in the tests. The better MBP gets a 9% better FPS.

Oh, and the top MBP with 4 GIGs RAM and 256 VRAM gets about 30 FPS doing Bioshock with everything on high.

YouTube - BioShock on Macbook Pro 15"

Yonas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2007, 11:13 AM

I tested Colin McRae Dirt demo on my MacBook Pro 2.16Ghz 1GB with X1600 256MB. That games runs very well at 800x600 and is the most graphically intense game out right now. I'm downloading the Bioshock demo now. If my machine can handle this then the newer ones will have no problem.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Sep 2, 2007, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I have searched but I always get zero results, no matter what my search criteria is. Any other forum I am great at searching though? Anyways, I don't plan to game that much, and I am okay with lower settings, or lower resolutions. I just want to know how well titles such as that can run with the 128mb GPU. Anything I saw on YouTube was with the 256mb model.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I have searched but I always get zero results, no matter what my search criteria is. Any other forum I am great at searching though? Anyways, I don't plan to game that much, and I am okay with lower settings, or lower resolutions. I just want to know how well titles such as that can run with the 128mb GPU. Anything I saw on YouTube was with the 256mb model.
I would expect hat it would run much the same overall, just with a 9% lower frame rate. Seriously, the difference will be very little overall unless you want ULTRA settings on all your games.

Forum Links
Forum Rules