Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX freezing up 2-3 times a day

OSX freezing up 2-3 times a day
Kissargi
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2003, 05:07 PM

I bought a 1 ghz power mac about just over 1 month ago then i upgraded to 10.2.5 about 2 days later, since then ive had osx freezing up completely, 1-2 times a week at first, but now its 2-3 times a day.

Ive updated to 10.2.6 and if anything the problem seems worse, ive tried reinstalling, repairing permissions b4 and after, and still 2 crashes today.

i never had this problem running 10.2.0 on my old 350 imac, what am i doing wrong? I would be so gratefull if anyone can help me, i feel like im running windows with all these crashes. thx

Deestar
Jun 6, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Kissargi:
I bought a 1 ghz power mac about just over 1 month ago then i upgraded to 10.2.5 about 2 days later, since then ive had osx freezing up completely, 1-2 times a week at first, but now its 2-3 times a day.

Ive updated to 10.2.6 and if anything the problem seems worse, ive tried reinstalling, repairing permissions b4 and after, and still 2 crashes today.

i never had this problem running 10.2.0 on my old 350 imac, what am i doing wrong? I would be so gratefull if anyone can help me, i feel like im running windows with all these crashes. thx
Sounds like a ram problem, 10.2.6 seems to be even more temperamental when it comes to ram.
Where there's a will
there's a way..

Kissargi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2003, 05:41 PM

the extra 256 ram was fitted by macwarhouse too. thx for help.

Deestar
Jun 6, 2003, 05:58 PM

the extra 256 ram was fitted by macwarhouse too. thx for help.
No problem mate, I would take it out to see if it makes it stable.
Where there's a will
there's a way..

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2003, 08:22 PM

And if that doesnt work, it would be a good idea to format and reinstall OSX.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 12:37 PM

I had similar issues with my 12" PB. The freezes always involved iTunes or Quicktime. I just backed up my data, zeroed the drive and reinstalled OSX. I used the combo updater and updated using software update to ensure everything installed in the proper order. (which was iSync, iCal, Java 1.4.1, iMovie 3.0.2, iPod 1.3, Quicktime 6.2, itunes4, SafariUpdate, 10.2.6 Combo update ->Restart. Airport Update)
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 02:35 PM

Are you running any USB peripherals? If so, unplug any hubs and plug the mouse and keyboard directly into your Mac and see if that fixes the problem. There are issues with 10.2.6 and USB.

Kissargi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2003, 06:59 PM

I only have my mouse, keyboard, printer and palm cradle attached to my mac permanantly, ill try that tho. Ill see if i can aviod zeroing my hdd for now, ive been running 10.2.3 today and no freezes yet. maybe i can survive on this untill panther.

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2003, 01:19 AM

10.2.6 is also not a stellar release on my clamshell iBook. I've had at least two weird system freezes, which basically means a 100% increase in problems since I didn't have them before 10.2.6. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw. At the same time, I'm still baffled how Apple managed to fix the "no modem dialing sound" with 10.2, but then managed to lose it again with the incremental updates.

Weird.

"Psssst..."

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 01:24 AM

I only have my mouse, keyboard, printer and palm cradle attached to my mac permanantly, ill try that tho. Ill see if i can aviod zeroing my hdd for now, ive been running 10.2.3 today and no freezes yet. maybe i can survive on this untill panther.
If it works, then keep it that way.

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 05:36 PM

I recommend www.crucial.com for PowerMacs. I used to get KPs etc. all the time. Crucial gave me stability.

harleylord
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2003, 12:28 AM

Ok, 1 thing that could be a problem, is RAM. I have 512 MB of RAM in my 350 MHz G4 Yikes board (PCI graphics) and am running 10.2.6 . If it's not RAM, I would run Norton and Tech Tool Pro on it.. see if you can find the problem there. If not, then zero out your harddrive after you back up your info, reinstall X.

Forum Links
Forum Rules