Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Issues with new mac and applcations.

Issues with new mac and applcations.
macitech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2006, 11:04 PM

Hi everyone, love my mac.

Just wondering where i can download a reigstry cleaner so i can install some programs.

I have looked all over google, cnet, zdnet and other sites and found nothing..

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Q80
Hi everyone, love my mac.

Just wondering where i can download a reigstry cleaner so i can install some programs.

I have looked all over google, cnet, zdnet and other sites and found nothing..
There is no registry with Mac OS. That's one of the nice things about it. The Windows registry is a trash heap that collects garbage and causes issues, in my opinion. Are you having a problem with installing applications? Post a little more information on the specific issue you are having.

If you want to get rid of applications, just open the Applications folder and drag the apps you want to get rid of to the Trash. A few apps recommend that you use their uninstallers, but not many at all. Also, if you are a neat-freak, like me, you can do a Spotlight search (assuming you have OS X 10.4 Tiger), for the application name. Look for files that end in ".plist" that have the same name as your application (example: com.apple.programname.plist), and trash those as well. I usually delete apps this way, so that there are no little preference files hanging around, but it's really not necessary at all, because preference files take up almost no space at all (they are just XML text files).
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

Mighty_Mike_T
Apr 9, 2006, 11:49 PM

Doesn't AppZapper do this, sort of, IIRC? It's not exactly a Registry cleaner, but I thought it offered some sort of snapshot/rollback capability...

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mighty_Mike_T
Doesn't AppZapper do this, sort of, IIRC? It's not exactly a Registry cleaner, but I thought it offered some sort of snapshot/rollback capability...
Yeah, it does that, but I can't justify spending more than $2 on software that I'll use (maybe) once a week to accomplish the same task that a simple <em>Command+F</em> in the Finder accomplishes. I don't think it does snapshots, but, according to the developer, it allows you to protect certain apps and their files, and it keeps a log of whatever you "zap", so, I presume, you can bring those files back. (Does it keep them backed up somewhere, or just keep a log so that you can say, "Yeah, I deleted that. CRAP! Now what?")
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules