Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Make-Believe Maverick

The Make-Believe Maverick
Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2008, 10:51 AM

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/cov...l_john_mccain/

Good article showing the character of the man.

"Learn to swim"

Railroader
Banned
Oct 7, 2008, 11:18 AM

Here's the flaw with article like this. Extreme hyperbole:
Originally Posted by RS Article
In its broad strokes, McCain's life story is oddly similar to that of the current occupant of the White House. John Sidney McCain III and George Walker Bush both represent the third generation of American dynasties. Both were born into positions of privilege against which they rebelled into mediocrity. Both developed an uncanny social intelligence that allowed them to skate by with a minimum of mental exertion.
[emphasis mine] (Also, I read no further than that paragraph)

I mean, imagine what they could accomplish if they actually used their maximum mental exertion. Is Senator Obama operating at maximum mental exertion? If he is, then at his best, he is equal to McCain at his least. This is a perfect endorsement for McCain! He's just "skating by"!
( Last edited by Railroader; Oct 8, 2008 at 03:05 PM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 11:33 AM

Yeah, I read that article yesterday... it's so biased that it's hard to take seriously.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 03:40 PM

It's hard to take anything in Rolling Stone seriously.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 03:46 PM

Oh my. That's some harsh spin.

If someone were to write an article like that about Obama we'd have riots.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Railroader
Banned
Oct 8, 2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Nice pun!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2008, 03:22 PM

Yeah that was an ugly piece.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post

If someone were to write an article like that about Obama we'd have riots.

Yeah, "riots." As if 100% of McCain's advertising right now isn't basically just little nuggets of the same type of trash in that article. And as if there hadn't been a Jerome Corsi book written about Obama that is far worse than that article.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It's hard to take anything in Rolling Stone seriously.
I agree, but then I also find it hard to take anything John McCain says seriously.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
This is a perfect endorsement for McCain! He's just "skating by"!
Forget the RS article. McCain's life, like Bush II, has been a history of "failing upward". Basically, not really meeting the criteria for making it to the next level but somehow, by money and connections, continuing to do so. I say this as someone who really liked McCain in the first 6 years of the Bush administration. He WAS a "maverick" then. He DID take principled stands that crossed normal partisanship. But, in the last two years, he's pretty much had to unravel all of that and begin courting "the base" of right wing religious nuts that he used to lambast as "agents of intolerance" and the big money interests who want taxes on the wealthiest and corporations cut yet again when he had previously opposed them and called them irresponsible, unnecessary, and giving even more to the people who needed it least.

To criticize someone for "skating by" is only an endorsement if you have reason to believe they'll stop just skating by once in office. Once Bush got in office, his greatest accomplishment has been setting the record for the most vacation ever taken by a President. Perhaps McCain will set a new record for naps.

finboy
Oct 8, 2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
Forget the RS article. McCain's life, like Bush II, has been a history of "failing upward". Basically, not really meeting the criteria for making it to the next level but somehow, by money and connections, continuing to do so. I say this as someone who really liked McCain in the first 6 years of the Bush administration. He WAS a "maverick" then. He DID take principled stands that crossed normal partisanship. But, in the last two years, he's pretty much had to unravel all of that and begin courting "the base" of right wing religious nuts that he used to lambast as "agents of intolerance" and the big money interests who want taxes on the wealthiest and corporations cut yet again when he had previously opposed them and called them irresponsible, unnecessary, and giving even more to the people who needed it least.

To criticize someone for "skating by" is only an endorsement if you have reason to believe they'll stop just skating by once in office. Once Bush got in office, his greatest accomplishment has been setting the record for the most vacation ever taken by a President. Perhaps McCain will set a new record for naps.
I think I heard one of the pundits on CNN say almost exactly the same thing yesterday, and I wanted you to know that you were in good company. Great minds think alike. After all, if I heard it on CNN it must be true.

I'm amused at Obama supporters who spend time attacking McCain's credentials, success or intelligence. Aside from never having been a community organizer, the man's qualifications are amazing. All of the folks who criticized Bush for being a nobody (compared with Kerry/Gore's experience as a senator, for example) for the last 8 years got what they wanted -- a somebody running for president. On the Republican ticket. Strangely enough, many of those people are now supporting a nobody to replace the 'nobody' they had trouble with.

It's all about brainwashing and who's going to give what to whom. Most people are still turning out to be sheep.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Aside from never having been a community organizer, the man's qualifications are amazing. All of the folks who criticized Bush for being a nobody (compared with Kerry/Gore's experience as a senator, for example) for the last 8 years got what they wanted -- a somebody running for president. On the Republican ticket.
His qualifications are hardly amazing. He used his wife's money, and her daddy's connections, to get into Arizona politics, shortly after he dumped his first wife, after she had a bad car accident that left her disfigured. He is anything but a maverick; in fact he's the consummate Washington insider, who went places in the Navy solely because of his father and grandfather, who were both admirals. He co-sponsored McCain-Feingold, and is now using every trick he can to subvert it in his quest for the White House. I will give you credit for one thing, however. You are correct about the sheeple, except that in this case they're on the Republican side. FTR, BTW, I'm not a huge fan of Obama either, but he's a vastly better choice.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2008, 09:28 PM

If I needed someone to crash a plan, outside of the fictional character "Launchpad McQuack", Id go with McCain...

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2008, 09:30 PM

Was Launchpad McQuack inspired by John McCain?!?

Or vice versa?

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2008, 09:32 PM

I think McCain inspired "The Pengiun"

Forum Links
Forum Rules