Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.2.2 not getting IP from DHCP

9.2.2 not getting IP from DHCP
camera punk
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2002, 02:34 PM

earlier today, the cable modem went out. I switched the TCP/IP control panel to a dial up config so I could send some email, and then switched the control panel back to the config I use for my cable modem. Since then, I haven't been able to get a valid IP from the DHCP server. all I get is an 169.*.*.* or 0.0.*.* address.

I know it works, since my Powerbook can get an IP from the server.

I checked all my cables, and they're good. I hooked the G4 directly to the cable modem, and it still returned a 169.*.*.* address. The G4 is on the network, and I can use file sharing and all that, so I'm pretty sure it's not my network.

I'm reinstalling OS 9 right now, since I suspect an Open Transport problem. IPnetmonitor reported that something was screwy with it, but the reinstall didn't fix it.

Anyone have any insight? this has been driving me up the wall all night.

sorry if this is considered off topic, I thought it was an OS problem as much as a internet problem.

poocat
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 05:56 AM

hey.

here's my favorite workaround when this happens:

turn off the comp.
unplug the cable modem.
give it about 2 min (don't know why, don't care)

plug in cable modem again.
let it boot (important step)

start g4.

good luck.

pcat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2002, 06:30 PM

Good advice poocat,

Although on the back of my RCA Modem there's a recessed button switch that can be used to momentarily turn the power off and then, when it powers back up, it reloads the IP Address, etc. and things are hokay again.

Matt

MikeyMoves
Feb 14, 2002, 04:10 AM

Since then, I haven't been able to get a valid IP from the DHCP server. all I get is an 169.*.*.* or 0.0.*.* address.

Let me ask you, are you connected to another computer or router and sharing a line? If so, the problem could be that both computers are trying to act as hosts for your IP. The 169x address is some wierd apple defaul address. I had this problem and it just kinda went away. What I would do in the meantime is I would first delete my TCP/IP preference. Then I would reset my PRAM. Then reset my router. Then I would dial into my router and reconnect though PPPOE. I guess you could follow something along those lines.

Hope I could help.
933 Quicksilver SUPERMACHINE!
iMac DV SE 500
Vic 20

Camelot
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2002, 05:52 AM

Originally posted by MikeyMoves:
<STRONG>The 169x address is some wierd apple defaul address</STRONG>
Actually, 169.254.x.x is defined by IANA (Internet Assigned Number Authority) and the DHCP specification as the network range a host should use if no DHCP server responds to a DHCP request.

This is so that you can put several hosts on a network without a DHCP server and they'll be able to communicate since they'll all come up in the same subnet - the fact that it's a class B network means there's 65535 possible addresses the system could take, so the chances of two systems taking the same address is low.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

MikeyMoves
Feb 14, 2002, 02:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Camelot:
[QB]

Actually, 169.254.x.x is defined by IANA (Internet Assigned Number Authority) and the DHCP specification as the network range a host should use if no DHCP server responds to a DHCP request.

Then apple tech support aren't as bright as they once seemed!(sarcasm, in case you missed it) That is what they told me, practically verbatim. I assumed it to be true. They said that my ISP might not support 2 computers with one address, whereas my router said otherwise. I figured it out myself. The stupid router company don't have Mac support!!
933 Quicksilver SUPERMACHINE!
iMac DV SE 500
Vic 20

Forum Links
Forum Rules