Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can't Print Finder Windows

Can't Print Finder Windows
dj
May 30, 2000, 11:34 AM

I recently tried to print the contents of my Extensions folder via the Print Window command in the File Menu. The first page comes out ok but the rest come out blank. This only happens on G4s (AGP) with OS 9.0.4 installed. (I've had the same results on 3 different machines printing to several different printers). I've also tried several different LaserWriter Drivers with the same results. I've tried rebuilding the desktop, zapping the PRAM, running NDD and TTP with no change. Anyone else having this problem? Can someone with a similar machine check this for me?

Thanks in advance.
DJ

shanepalmer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2000, 10:03 AM

I tried printing a Finder window after reading this and experienced the same problem no matter what window I try to print.

Shane

------------------
-----------------------------
Shane Palmer
Systems Analyst
Iowa State University
-----------------------------
Shane Palmer
Systems Analyst
Iowa State University

Linda
Jun 1, 2000, 10:13 AM

Yep. This has been the case ever since I went to OS 9. I've had various advice including updating my printer drivers (HP LaserJet 4000) but nothing, NOTHING, has worked.

Service bureaus hated me but now that most folks are on OS 9, they must get it a lot so the disks are just a mystery when they get them--after one page's worth of info, anyway.

I hope they find an answer.

Rey G
Jun 1, 2000, 10:46 AM

This doesn't only happen on G4's with OS 9.0.4. I've had the problem ever since I installed OS 9 on any Mac from my Wallstreet PBG3/300 to our pre and post upgraded PMac 9600/200MP (upgraded to Newer G4/400) at work. I hope Apple is working on a fix.

Shortcut
Jun 1, 2000, 11:27 AM

To force a window capture (which can then be used in a graphics program such as Photoshop):

1. Command-Shift-4
2. Enable the Caps-Lock key
(The cursor now shows as a "bull's eye")
3. Click on the window you wish to capture
(Photo shot sound conveys system action)
4. Picture file of that window is now located
on the system disk's root folder

Nathaniel

bobsie
Jun 1, 2000, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Shortcut:
To force a window capture (which can then be used in a graphics program such as Photoshop):

1. Command-Shift-4
2. Enable the Caps-Lock key
(The cursor now shows as a "bull's eye")
3. Click on the window you wish to capture
(Photo shot sound conveys system action)
4. Picture file of that window is now located
on the system disk's root folder

Nathaniel
Well sure...if your window is shorter than the screen. But I'll bet your extensions window, just like about all of us, is longer than your screen. What then?

-- bobsie

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2000, 11:56 AM

what then? another screenshot(s) for the rest of the window i would think

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2000, 01:14 PM

Or...open Apple System Profiler and list your Extensions or whatever you like and save them (or print right there) as SimpleText - print away.
I know this only is good for items listed in the Profiler, but how often do you need to print large Finder Windows?

Scott

dpileggi
Jun 1, 2000, 04:16 PM

Another option:

1) Select "Select All" from the edit menu to select all files within the window.
2) Select "Copy" from the edit menu.
3) Open SimpleText.
4) Select "Paste" from the edit menu.

All of the file names should now be in SimpleText and can be printed.

xdck
Jun 1, 2000, 06:32 PM

In my 9.0.4 G4 a poscript error (or blank pages) comes out when i try to print finder windows in list mode. If I switch to icon mode, and select small icons in preferences, everything goes ok.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2000, 08:05 PM

aha! well that makes sense as i use list mode for all finder windows

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2000, 02:01 AM

Hi all,

Just FYI, Apple does have at least one TIL article about this issue (e.g., see the related posts over in the various MacFixIt Forums, such as the Print Window - G4, OS 9.0.4 thread in the 'Troubleshooting Mac OS 9.0.X' Forum).

Some folks say that Apple has been working on this problem since mid 1999, but I'm not sure if there has been any official fix yet.

Regards,

--Paul

dj
Jun 2, 2000, 08:10 AM

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I guess this is a bigger issue than I realized. Hopefully, Apple will have this worked out in OS X, but in the meantime I'll use dpileggi's idea of copy and pasting into Simple Text to get my print out. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

dj

Forum Links
Forum Rules