Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 74)
mrtew
Professional Poster
May 17, 2008, 09:59 AM

Yeah I think this season is really good. Voodoo's posts about how bad it is make me realize that. Of course they're going to try everything. They are desperate and being hunted and clueless. They are not sitting comfortably in their livingrooms wondering what's going to happen. They are totally freaking out as to what to do and are starting to turn on eachother. Not to mention that they've been informed that there are more Cylons in their midst.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 17, 2008, 10:05 AM

That last episode was one of the best I have seen since Eye of Jupiter. Amazingly done.

I wonder what they are doing with Hera and 6. Remember in season 1 when Headsix told Baltar that the baby in the opera house was her and baltar's child and it will be with them soon? Baltar couldn't understand how it could be his child from someone in his head.

Perhaps they are getting back to explaining that now.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
If you're so convinced the show is trash, stop watching and especially stop posting in here. I *loved* this episode.
When you learn to read, comprehend and then post, you will have explained how your own suggestion is worthless.

Note: just because I quoted only one paragraph of your post doesn't mean the rest of it made any sense, quite the contrary.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Yeah I think this season is really good. Voodoo's posts about how bad it is make me realize that. Of course they're going to try everything. They are desperate and being hunted and clueless. They are not sitting comfortably in their livingrooms wondering what's going to happen. They are totally freaking out as to what to do and are starting to turn on eachother. Not to mention that they've been informed that there are more Cylons in their midst.
That is certainly a 'glass half full' point of view. I can be sympathetic to that, it's just that I suspect the glass is in fact half full of trash.

Pacing is a mantra in moviemaking and while certainly less crucial in TV series, it is there. Excepting your Guiding Lights, your Bold and the Beautiful and your BSG. Has it ever occurred to you that more than half of your average BSG episode could and should have ended on the proverbial editing floor?

Sometimes movies are just so great and the acting so stunning that a director or producer just can't find it in himself to cut it. If only that were the case. There are very many bad actors in BSG and they get far too much screen-time.

BSG never manages to rise out of mediocracy and mostly it is the fault of editing (i.e. slow pace) and bad actors.. not to mention the plot which has fans defending it with guesswork. Well that's quality writing if ever I saw it. Oh no the other thing..
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Yeah, let's fit in finding Kara, sending the Demetrius off on a classified mission, finding a basestar, creating an alliance with the cylons, going back to the fleet, and then having the basestar jump away with half the viper squadron and the president in a single episode. Heck, we may even have room for a single line of dialog in that episode!
They've done it before, remember the "one year later..."? They cylons took over a whole planet in like 10 seconds

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Yeah I totally expected them to avoid the main plot for at least a few more episodes.

Also, here's an idea: let's go into this enemy base-ship and hook up their AI and hope nothing bad happens.. not the sharpest knives in the drawer, are they?

Had this been the first episode of season 4, I would have had some faith left in the series. This is trash. I don't mind watching it until the end, they tricked me through 3 pretty ok seasons, so I might as well. However, it's still trash.
Again: You seriously think the episodes now are less interesting on average than "33" or "Act of Contrition"? They're more ham-fisted than "Litmus"? I think you've just got your opinion still lingering from the end of last season and aren't able to see past it to realize what good TV we're getting these days.
( Last edited by Chuckit; May 17, 2008 at 12:54 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2008, 03:49 PM

Also, here's an idea: let's go into this enemy base-ship and hook up their AI and hope nothing bad happens.. not the sharpest knives in the drawer, are they?
Yeah, they should have expected that an AI whose jump capabilities had been disabled would be able to jump.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 17, 2008, 06:35 PM

When you learn to read, comprehend and then post, you will have explained how your own suggestion is worthless.

Note: just because I quoted only one paragraph of your post doesn't mean the rest of it made any sense, quite the contrary.
That is certainly a 'glass half full' point of view. I can be sympathetic to that, it's just that I suspect the glass is in fact half full of trash.

Pacing is a mantra in moviemaking and while certainly less crucial in TV series, it is there. Excepting your Guiding Lights, your Bold and the Beautiful and your BSG. Has it ever occurred to you that more than half of your average BSG episode could and should have ended on the proverbial editing floor?

Sometimes movies are just so great and the acting so stunning that a director or producer just can't find it in himself to cut it. If only that were the case. There are very many bad actors in BSG and they get far too much screen-time.

BSG never manages to rise out of mediocracy and mostly it is the fault of editing (i.e. slow pace) and bad actors.. not to mention the plot which has fans defending it with guesswork. Well that's quality writing if ever I saw it. Oh no the other thing..
Seriously, why do you even watch the show?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 17, 2008, 06:49 PM

Okay, I'm trying not to read any of the recent posts. Where The Foo is Guess What's Coming To Dinner? Neither scifi.com nor Hulu have seen fit to post it today. Grrrr.

Visnaut
Senior User
May 18, 2008, 12:01 AM

If we stop feeding the troll, he won't come back.

Anyway, last night's episode, for me, was the best since Exodus Part II, and Resurrection Ship Part I. Just the way things were set in motion was great. I totally didn't see Gina biting it.

And I'm more convinced than ever that Gaeta is the last cylon.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2008, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Fine, but like I said.. In star Trek it meant the future.
Ultimately, 'death' is the future.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 12:51 AM

Holy crap. That was an episode and a half.

edit: Gaeta is now my pick for the final cylon.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 12:54 AM

Pacing is a mantra in moviemaking. . .
Nope. It's character, dialogue, plot, in that order. Pacing is an entirely different worry as can be seen by the radically different pacing of My Dinner with Andre and Blade Runner, two radically different movies with radically different pacing.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
I totally didn't see Gina biting it.
I'm not so sure she is dead as next weeks trailer shows a woman in sick bay with an oxygen mask on her face that looks just like her.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 01:23 AM

I'm not so sure she is dead as next weeks trailer shows a woman in sick bay with an oxygen mask on her face that looks just like her.
I didn't see that either. I hope she didn't die, as she's become a very interesting character. Also gives the writers the ability to explore forgiveness.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 18, 2008, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Yeah, they should have expected that an AI whose jump capabilities had been disabled would be able to jump when it was re-enabled.
Fixed and uh yes?

“Building Better Worlds”

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2008, 12:35 PM

It wasn't the turning the AI off that disabled the ship's jump capabilities — they turned the Hybrid off because the Basestar's jump capabilities were down and needed to use the Raptor's jump drive.
Chuck
___

Visnaut
Senior User
May 18, 2008, 01:21 PM

Yep, I saw that too, but tried to forget it. The previews that Space runs up here in Canada for next week's episodes are way too spoiler-laden. You can figure out most of the episode just by watching them, which ruins the suspense that the show so carefully builds up. If it weren't for that preview, most people would have figured she had kicked the bucket.

I usually make it a habit to stop watching after the last bit, but last night my jaw was still hanging open from that ending. Brilliant stuff.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
I usually make it a habit to stop watching after the last bit. . .
I do this to, but for different reasons: I want to be completely surprised by what I see week to week, which is why I read no BG websites, only post in or read this BG thread, and make sure I don't click on it until I've seen the latest episode.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It wasn't the turning the AI off that disabled the ship's jump capabilities — they turned the Hybrid off because the Basestar's jump capabilities were down and needed to use the Raptor's jump drive.
I don't think they used to Raptor's drive. I think they used its nav system.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
I don't think they used to Raptor's drive. I think they used its nav system.
Which could have repaired itself in the mean time also.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2008, 03:08 PM

Again: You seriously think the episodes now are less interesting on average than "33" or "Act of Contrition"? They're more ham-fisted than "Litmus"? I think you've just got your opinion still lingering from the end of last season and aren't able to see past it to realize what good TV we're getting these days.
Well, BSG has definitely picked up since the beginning of this season, but I'd have to say that "33" is the best BSG episode ever.

EDIT:

Hmm... When did I become Clinically Insane?

EDIT AGAIN:

Ah. Here.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Hmm... When did I become Clinically Insane?
I'm guessing the HD-DVD thread

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 03:28 PM

Well, since NBC/SciFi were being louts, I found the episode via other means. I thought it was pretty darn good.

How many times has Sharon/Boomer/Athena shot someone point blank now?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 03:29 PM

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2008, 04:11 PM

Quoted from: The Watcher - All TV, all the time | Chicago Tribune | Blog
And it’s important to note that these proposed films won't affect the finale of "Battlestar Galactica" in any way -- that series finale will still proceed as planned. The films would be about incidents in “Battlestar Galactica’s” past. They will not take place after the time frame of the series finale. And the stories in the proposed films will depend, at least in part, on what actors are available to work on them.

By the way, at this point, it’s not known when those last 10 episodes of "Battlestar" will air. Informed sources say that a decision on that won’t get made until mid-summer, so my guess is that Sci Fi won’t the final 10 episodes until 2009.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
How many times has Sharon/Boomer/Athena shot someone point blank now?
I don't know, but I hear on the DVD they're going to have it so that Natalie shoots at her first and misses.
Chuck
___

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sourbook View Post
I like this quote from AICN better:
I’m guessing the plan being bandied about is to air the movies this autumn, before the final 10 episodes of the series finally hit NBC-Universal’s SciFi Channel.
Why the frak would they hold the episodes to 2009? Stupid TV networks...

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2008, 06:46 PM

The writer's strike delayed their production, supposedly.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2008, 06:58 PM

What the heck? If Sci-Fi wanted the series to stretch out longer, why didn't they just greenlight more episodes? I can't believe it will take them a year to film 10 episodes.

Also Tahmoh Penikett (Helo) is going to be a major character in Joss Whedon's new show this fall, so it seems like either he isn't going to have anything important to do the rest of this season of Galactica or they're going to have to film those way far in advance for 2009.
Chuck
___

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2008, 07:45 PM

If this has already been suggested, then I apologize, but has anyone thought about Starbuck's mother as being a cylon?

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 18, 2008, 07:56 PM

My prediction:

The 'last' 10 episodes will never be made, because people's attention span is hardly going to last until 2009 just to wait for ten more episodes.

They will instead make a mini-series out of the material for the episodes.

Why not end it like it began?

“Building Better Worlds”

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
The writer's strike delayed their production, supposedly.
Yeah but Moore is finishing up the finale right now. Under a normal schedule they would already be shooting the first of the episodes and they would be ready for the fall. Sci Fi is thinking about pushing it until 2009 for their own purposes, not because of the strike.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2008, 10:10 PM

Not a bad episode, although I had to do a bit of guess work since I didn't watch last weeks. I don't think finding earth will be the series finale, I think it'll be in the mid-season finale and they will find deserted or destroyed. I think the unboxing of the Xenas will set the stage for the second half of the season with the revealing of the final five and the explanation of what the hell this whole thing has been about. And I would almost say it is too obvious, but I would have to put my money on Felix for the final skin job. I also noticed in the preview for next week Romo Lamkin will be returning and I don't think he's out of the realm of possibility either. Though I still think Doc Cottle is a strong underdog candidate though.
Nemo me impune lacesset

reader50
Administrator
May 18, 2008, 11:39 PM

So how did Hera wander down into that situation? Or draw the Six? And have the whole thing metaphorically match the opera-house chase?

My answer: small children draw things they see. And go along if someone takes their hand. I think Invisible Six has been hanging around Hera a lot, while Baltar entertains Tori. Prophesies work a lot better when they have help along the way.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 11:42 PM

Also Tahmoh Penikett (Helo) is going to be a major character in Joss Whedon's new show this fall, so it seems like either he isn't going to have anything important to do the rest of this season of Galactica or they're going to have to film those way far in advance for 2009.
Just means Penikett will be working his ass off for a while.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 19, 2008, 12:19 AM

The scene where Athena flipped through Hera's coloring book was very reminiscent of the scene from The Shining where Jack's wife discovers what he's been writing the whole time. Pretty cool.

I dunno, I thought this was a pretty decent episode. Though I do think it's kind of silly how Hera has just been totally absent for the last year or so and finally they decide to put her in as though she's been there the whole time. I guess they needed time for the girl to grow up (or are they using a different girl?). But I didn't even know that Hera was with Sharon and Helo the whole time.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 12:32 PM

Major Kira did a pretty good dying woman I must say.

And I guess chemo in BSG-land rots the teeth.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 12:47 PM

Maybe she was a meth addict before she got cancer. Hard life, that one.
Chuck
___

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 19, 2008, 01:19 PM

I really hope they do more with Lee. I've been really disappointed in his character ever since he became a member of the Quorum. Hopefully since the Baystar ship jumped he'll have to return as a pilot in a search for them. He just sucks as a politician.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 19, 2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by JHromadka View Post
...Baystar ship...
That's basestar.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 19, 2008, 03:13 PM

Good episode but I could done without Gaeta turning into Tom Bombadil. Too much damn singing.

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 19, 2008, 03:37 PM

I agree. Too reminiscent of Pippin's goofy solo in Return of the King. He can be the final Cylon for all I care if he shuts the frak up.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 19, 2008, 04:10 PM

I still think it would be major lameo if Gaeta of all people is the final five. The lawyer would be much cooler.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2008, 11:56 PM

Um, so why do the humans believe the claim that the 3s can identify the final 5? Why do they even entertain that story?

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2008, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Um, so why do the humans believe the claim that the 3s can identify the final 5? Why do they even entertain that story?
Probably cuz Ms. StandsWithAFist Roslin has been somehow believing that the cylons are involved in the destiny of the humans. She's even been dreaming about the opera house with Six, Boomer, and Hera in it.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 20, 2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Probably cuz Ms. StandsWithAFist Roslin has been somehow believing that the cylons are involved in the destiny of the humans. She's even been dreaming about the opera house with Six, Boomer, and Hera in it.

What do they turn into after sexy underwear models? My vote is for puppies.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 20, 2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Probably because this isn't the first they have heard about the final 5. They first got wind of it in Eye of Jupiter.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2008, 12:25 PM

But they have to believe that the 3s actually can identify them (and the other models can't), that the 3s aren't simply raving loons, that the 6s know this (somehow), and they're being honest about it. It's a much more contrived explanation than the resurrection hub, but they second-guessed the hub and took the rest at face value ("Its all pie in the sky, gentleman, until we know what's true;" the whole thing about the hub is "pie in the sky," but the 3s knowing the big secret isn't?)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2008, 12:32 PM

The lawyer would be much cooler.
Man I hope it's Badger.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules