Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sleeping During Recording

Sleeping During Recording
tavilach
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 03:56 AM

I have a Plextor TV tuner (works with EyeTV software) with hardware encoding. There is an option to record while asleep, which actually seems to work. I've only tried it for a minute, but that minute worked. How much processor power does it take when I'm using a device that does its own encoding? I don't want to burn my screen, which I know I can: Last week, something went wrong with my computer and it stayed on all night with the lid closed. There are now two burns on my screen.

Would this cause that, too? Why would they include the feature if it did?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2005, 04:28 AM

Whoops. I guess it doesn't work, after all. It goes back to sleep, even when the monitor is open, as I have a password protected sleep mode.

How would I get around this, other than taking the password away? That's not an option.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2005, 06:49 PM

Help!

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2005, 07:35 PM

Well, I don't know much about TV tuner software, but it is good if you just hold down your brightness until it gets to it's lowest setting but after hours and hours it still starts to burn; the best solution: start recording, open iTunes and put the settings to repeat all and start playing any thing, turn on the visulizer (that is always moving so it's all good), and turn of your sound. That way your the safest, that is what I do to protect my display when I turn the screen saver off so I can download really big bittorrent files over many hours without having to worry.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2005, 03:32 PM

Why not set your monitor to sleep, but not the computer?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules