Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Could you help an old 667 Ti please?

Could you help an old 667 Ti please?
zacharie
Feb 15, 2005, 12:33 PM

Hello,

I was given a nice old 667 tibook; the computer runs great, except from a dead firewire plug. More exactly, the firewire bus is detected, but when I plug in any firewire device, the firewire bus is missing, as if it never existed. I don't know what to do with it. Would you please have any ideas?
Do you think that if I buy a pcmcia card with firewire, I could use this high speed bus option or it is not feasible?
The titanium is loosing its color all around the edges; I put some tape around the corners to make it look good.

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 02:22 PM

Have you tried reinstalling the OS? Sounds a little drastic but the best case is that it's a software problem.

Voch

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by zacharie:
Hello,

I was given a nice old 667 tibook; the computer runs great, except from a dead firewire plug. More exactly, the firewire bus is detected, but when I plug in any firewire device, the firewire bus is missing, as if it never existed. I don't know what to do with it. Would you please have any ideas?
Do you think that if I buy a pcmcia card with firewire, I could use this high speed bus option or it is not feasible?
The titanium is loosing its color all around the edges; I put some tape around the corners to make it look good.
there are different firewire pc-cards out there, both fw400 and fw800.

The Ti-667 is very nice as a freebie (regardless of how it looks), just put some $ into the fw-400 card, and maybe even a wireless pc-card. I was absolutely disgusted with the wireless range from the internal card in my Ti-400, and was absolutely delighted with the wireless range of a $30 Buffalo airstation card (the Mac-specific model) which is supported natively in Panther.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2005, 04:30 PM

I concur with reinstalling the OS. I bought a Ti500 2 years ago for $275. CD nor firewire worked, bought Jaguar, installed and all is well. Using it atm as a backup while my 17" is in for warranty service.

If you don't want to reinstall, the only other things I can think of is see if the previous owner set up a firewire network connection, or if you have another Mac available see if you can go either way with target disk mode.

Definetely and nice gimme system.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

zacharie  (op)
Feb 16, 2005, 01:50 AM

Thank you guys for your interest in helping me.
I've re-installed OS X several times but nothing came from it. I've also booted into OS 9 to see if it would work but no results in OS 9 either...
So maybe the port is out of order?
Or do you think a clean install of os x with a pre-erase and formatted disk would do something more appropriate?

In the last case, maybe I should get a pcmcia card.
What should I do finally? erase disk and clean install or pcmcia card?

Thank you for letting me know, as I'm completely lost in this matter.
( Last edited by zacharie; Feb 16, 2005 at 07:43 AM. )

pat++
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 05:16 PM

did you try to reset the PRAM and the Power management unit?

(press command-option-P-R during startup until you hear the startup sound again to reset the PRAM)

To try to reset the Power Management unit, see apple documentation here.

zacharie  (op)
Feb 16, 2005, 11:42 PM

I've tride resetting the PRAM and the PMU bu nothing positive.
I guess I would better buy a pcmcia card with the firewire fitted on it.
Thank you for your help guys!

Forum Links
Forum Rules