Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > why are colorsync profiles proliferating under Lion?

why are colorsync profiles proliferating under Lion?
Le Flaneur
Senior User
Feb 6, 2012, 12:46 AM

why do I have so many identically-named colorsync profiles?

It's causing problems where switching from my internal MacBook Pro (mid-2010) display and a 27" Apple Cinema Display or an LCD projector results in weird color distortions.

OreoCookie
Feb 6, 2012, 06:18 AM

Probably one of the profiles is located in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles while the other is in ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 6, 2012, 03:09 PM

Do you have dual monitors? I use a hardware color calibrator, and it always gives the same name to the calibrated profile. You can rename the profile filename through the Finder, but that doesn't change the display name in Sys Prefs.

So I calibrate each monitor, and rename the file in Finder. Then open it in ColorSync Utility to change the display name as well.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Feb 6, 2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Probably one of the profiles is located in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles while the other is in ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles.
No, it's not that simple. There's only one profile (a custom-created one) in ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles. In /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays there are, for example, 4 profiles named "Color LCD" and 2 named "LED Cinema Display". Some of these have fairly recent modification dates (for example, one for the LCD projector is dated Jan. 17, 2012), although I haven't altered them myself.

Does the system make duplicates of existing color sync profiles and modify them?

This is in Lion (10.7.2).
( Last edited by Le Flaneur; Feb 6, 2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: OS version added)

Forum Links
Forum Rules