Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > why are some jpeg Finder icons images (good!) and others just JPEG icons (bad!)?

why are some jpeg Finder icons images (good!) and others just JPEG icons (bad!)?
malcolm
Apr 26, 2005, 08:23 PM

Hi there,
I'm having to sort hundreds of photos in my home folder/Pictures, and it's easiest to do it in icon view... except that some of the photos have images as icons, which is great (I can see exactly what the photo is), and others just have the JPEG icon.
Is there any way, either within Finder, or with some 3rd-party software, to make ALL of them images?
Thanks,
Malcolm

ehunt
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm
Hi there,
I'm having to sort hundreds of photos in my home folder/Pictures, and it's easiest to do it in icon view... except that some of the photos have images as icons, which is great (I can see exactly what the photo is), and others just have the JPEG icon.
Is there any way, either within Finder, or with some 3rd-party software, to make ALL of them images?
Thanks,
Malcolm

Use the batch replace option in GraphicConverter...it'll do any folder you want and add preview icons to everything inside...I was quiet surprised when I ran it and it also added the first imagine in mpeg's, Quicktime movies etc.... an awsum app!
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2005, 09:09 PM

There are two kinds of icon previews.

One is those that the Finder makes on the fly. You can turn them on for any folder by selecting the menu View->Show View Options->Show Icon previews.

The other are custom icon resources. Programs like Photoshop and GraphicConverter create them automatically. You can also use GraphicConverter to create them for all images. There are several other programs that can do this as well.

malcolm  (op)
Apr 27, 2005, 09:22 AM

thanks so much everyone. I just did exactly what Tetanal suggested (view->Show View Options->Show Icon previews) - - worked beautifully!
Cheers,
Malcolm

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by ehunt
Use the batch replace option in GraphicConverter...it'll do any folder you want and add preview icons to everything inside...I was quiet surprised when I ran it and it also added the first imagine in mpeg's, Quicktime movies etc.... an awsum app!
Thanks for the tip!

Forum Links
Forum Rules