Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > COD: Black Ops thread

COD: Black Ops thread (Page 19)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2011, 01:16 PM

YouTube - zWoolba - 32 kill napalm?

I, uh, I just don't know.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2011, 03:37 PM

Its been decided, Kowloon is shit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2011, 03:41 PM

I wouldn't mind hearing you review all the DLC maps. From a TDM standpoint.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2011, 07:03 PM

If I'm honest, I haven't played the new maps enough. I seem to get Discovery alot for some reason, which TBH I don't mind. Its really a rabbit warren, which means when you hear someone you just can't tell where they'll come from. I usually stick to the edges in maps but it seems that the edges have obstructions (except for that walkway) so you have to come into the map a bit to kill people. I don't think that I 'know' the map enough yet though.

Kowloon is just dumb. Its too vertically orientated. Quarry was like that in MW2 but it also had good horizontal planes of action. Except for the rooms, it seems that Kowloon is just up and down. I don't think that I've come out +ve on Kowloon yet.

I'm not sure about Stadium. It sort of reminds me of that MW2 DLC map (can't remember or find the name) where there was a balcony with a house across from it, and a parking lot and a truck that everyone blew up straight away. Damn, the old brain isn't working.

I've only played Berlin once.

Maybe I haven't played the new maps enough to judge them fairly, but of the two that I've played a bit on, I think that they're pretty good.

=====================

Now is it me or is the XBL performance FOOKIN Terrible !?!? Kicked out of games, break-up of a party, takes ages to find games, etc etc. It was so bad I slapped Borderlands in.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 14, 2011, 02:50 PM

Dammit, somewhere Jawbone implied I'd be buying the DLC no matter what and now I can't find the relevant quote rub his face in.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2011, 03:13 PM

I wouldn't put it past you to refuse to buy the maps just so you "rub (my) face in it."

(No need to prove it -- I remember saying it)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 14, 2011, 03:18 PM

Trust me, you're way down the list below Activision and Treyarch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 12:18 PM

Kotaku, the Gamer’s Guide
"I would ask you to go on to the PS3 yourself, not just read the boards, and experience it yourself on both platforms," he said.

I did, I replied, but only at launch.

"You did," he said, sounding a bit surprised.
Lamia seemed to feel that the problems that were popping up for both PC and PS3 users weren't the typical experiences for a vast majority of the people playing his game.

"Here is what I will say: We know this for a fact, that the vast, vast majority don't have these sorts of experiences and they're out there playing this game," he said. "I really do encourage you to go online and play it.
I'd love to know how they "know" this for a fact. The majority of people don't have have the interest or inclination to go online and gripe; Treyarch probably sees this as customer satisfaction.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'd love to know how they "know" this for a fact. The majority of people don't have have the interest or inclination to go online and gripe; Treyarch probably sees this as customer satisfaction.
WIth the sorts of problems PS3 users are having with the single-player, it doesn't seem like there could be "edge cases." These types of problems would have to be universal. It's not like people are using vastly different PS3 rigs.

I haven't played PS3's single-player, but I have used the multiplayer. I didn't notice anything in particular that was any worse than the 360 experience, which I don't think is great in itself. I forget how bad it is until I play a game like Killzone or Battlefield:BC2 that I realize just how lackluster Black Ops is.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2011, 01:15 PM

At launch it worked great for me on multi, but each patch it got worse. The single player I never had an issue with personally. I don't even play as much as I used to now, I go on every now and then. I just tried out the Killzone 3 beta and I think I might be there for a while. I'm pretty damn impressed with that.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I just tried out the Killzone 3 beta and I think I might be there for a while. I'm pretty damn impressed with that.
That's exactly where I'm at right now. It seems like they keep opening the gates more and more, and the experience is fantastic. I just hate I missed out on KZ2 for so long.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2011, 02:28 PM

I haven't turned on my PS3 in months. Is the Killzone 3 beta available for everyone or just PSN+ subscribers?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I haven't turned on my PS3 in months. Is the Killzone 3 beta available for everyone or just PSN+ subscribers?
I'm pretty sure it's available to everyone.

[EDIT] Tip: switch the alternate control scheme -- it's basically the CoD format.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2011, 04:23 PM

Yeah it's for everyone, I downloaded it and I don't have PSN+.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I haven't played PS3's single-player, but I have used the multiplayer. I didn't notice anything in particular that was any worse than the 360 experience
Mr. 1080p didn't notice the differences? Jesus, it seemed like every time I checked the PS3 CoD forums people were just making lists of all the differences. I'm sure some of the stuff is minor, but still, it's gotta be there, unless you think it's a mass delusion like the lag.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 04:36 PM

Mr. 1080p didn't notice the differences? Jesus, it seemed like every time I checked the PS3 CoD forums people were just making lists of all the differences. I'm sure some of the stuff is minor, but still, it's gotta be there, unless you think it's a mass delusion like the lag.
Lag/glitch-wise. I admit that I barely played it though. Maybe three matches.

And I still swear if you put me in front of FIFA running on 360 1080p and PS3 720p side-by-side, I can spot the difference within less than a second.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2011, 12:14 PM

So, another one of my buddies picked up the game so we all signed on last night and managed a crew of 8, so you know what that means... the dreaded Ground War playlist.

You might expect to hear a horror story here, but the truth is it went very, very well. We only lost one game (our first Domination) out of 10 or so games. I also ended up making a noob tube class just domination.

While I'm sure having a full crew helps, there's something perceptibly different about Domination in Black Ops. I remember MW2 drove me nuts as it was very difficult to manage where enemies would be coming from. Perhaps this is a strength of Treyarch's arguably vanilla maps or more static spawn system.

Most importantly, outside of two games lag wasn't really different from when we play Team Deathmatch. Honestly, I'd be willing to play that crap again.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2011, 04:19 PM

The rare diamond in the rough that is the COD forums.

Originally Posted by AOD Fiddl3r
Many are forgetting their history. The initial complaints about the online mechanics were very civil. Remember the original thread about being one second behind? This thread was called an example of how to use civil criticism—at least until it was taken over by fanboys and was eventually purged and locked so it would scroll off into obscurity.

In fact, as I recall virtually all complaints were civil until the powers that be expressed the opinion that it was all in our heads because the game was fine.

As to ignoring complaints that aren't expressed in a civil manner a company does so at their own peril. Censor out all the garbage in such communications and at least one valuable piece of information remains: someone is very unhappy with your product. If the number of unhappy people reaches critical mass then your company is in great danger. A 'few' such communications can safely be ignored—thousands cannot.

It is simple marketing 101—listen to your customers particularly when they are angry.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2011, 03:27 AM

Played last night for the first time in ages. Downloaded a patch straight away. I didn't go into std tdm, but in hc tdm and Barebones, the matchmaking was soooo much faster and smoother. I noticed that I was in games with people having the same sort of ping. Previously I'd see a few four bars, a few three bars and maybe two or three with two bars - if it wasn't me. Last night was good. Mostly played hc tdm.

Dakar's quote from a while ago about being easy to master is true. I got on after maybe playing 2 hours over the past few weeks and kicked arse. When I went on MW2 recently, I didn't.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2011, 10:23 AM

Funny, my party kept getting put in a lobby by ourselves last night, so matchmaking was a pain in the ass.

The other big change I've heard alluded to is another sniper denerf; We did have one guy in our lobby who seemed determined to learn how to quickscope the entire night. Predictably, her ran hot and cold, but never did all that well.

As for easy to master, blame the game's supposed balance. In MW2 there were way more counters. In MW2 you might actually die to a sniper rifle or a shotgun. In this game if you die to either of those it's rage inducing; You feel like the other person got lucky or you failed on a miserable level because neither weapon is common anymore.

---

Speaking of rage inducing, I captured an ammo care package the other day and I noticed it didn't refill my empty grenade launcher. Treyarch are a bunch of gigantic gaping pansies.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2011, 05:16 PM

Two days without a post. This game really is dying...

Continuing my tradition of posting Black Ops fails: YouTube - Jawbone54 - Black Ops Game Clip

I was mildly impressed with my tactical knife skills until...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 4, 2011, 05:27 PM

Fatty's been on New Vegas for the past two weeks (and OnLive for weeks before that). I've been on RDR for two weeks. That's everyone.

Continuing my tradition of posting Black Ops fails: YouTube - Jawbone54 - Black Ops Game Clip

I was mildly impressed with my tactical knife skills until...
I actually have to render my latest vid. Another apeshit 6 or so kills in 30 seconds dealie, on Jungle of course.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2011, 05:38 PM

It's always, always jungle.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 4, 2011, 05:45 PM

Best defensible position in the game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2011, 12:38 PM

I watched this, but I'm not sure I get it. Mostly because the names are to garbled to read at 240p.

---

I'm going throw this out there and see if anyone agrees. Occasionally I have games where it becomes impossible for me to kill people. Not that they're eating bullets, but something else entirely – like I flat-out can't aim. But since this pops up randomly n a night where I am aiming well, I need to infer like it's something extraneous. Essentially, I think it feels like the aim-assist is turned off. I usually manage to hit people, but I can never track them efficiently. So just like people think there are games where t=aim-assist pushes them off people, or aim-assist leads people through walls, I'm positing there are games where it just randomly shuts off.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2011, 05:51 PM

I'm going throw this out there and see if anyone agrees. Occasionally I have games where it becomes impossible for me to kill people. Not that they're eating bullets, but something else entirely – like I flat-out can't aim. But since this pops up randomly n a night where I am aiming well, I need to infer like it's something extraneous. Essentially, I think it feels like the aim-assist is turned off. I usually manage to hit people, but I can never track them efficiently. So just like people think there are games where t=aim-assist pushes them off people, or aim-assist leads people through walls, I'm positing there are games where it just randomly shuts off.
Treyarch's problem with numbers rearing its ugly head again. Probably something to do with the lunar calendar.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2011, 06:27 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2011, 11:56 AM

I watched this, but I'm not sure I get it. Mostly because the names are to garbled to read at 240p.
The resolution is a problem.

I was using the Tac-Knife until I unlock the crossbow again, and thought I had a nice kill.

Upon further inspection, the knife went past the knee of my target straight into the head of the guy lying prone (whom I was unaware of). A second later, someone's grenade blew up, killing my intended target, and the guy crouching in the corner remained alive.

Long story short, I thought, "Oh, I need to replay that and see if it's upload-worthy," and was disappointed to see that I actually still suck with the Tac-Knife.

I can't offer an opinion on this, as I don't use aim-assist. This might explain my accuracy numbers.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2011, 12:02 PM

The resolution is a problem.

I was using the Tac-Knife until I unlock the crossbow again, and thought I had a nice kill.

Upon further inspection, the knife went past the knee of my target straight into the head of the guy lying prone (whom I was unaware of). A second later, someone's grenade blew up, killing my intended target, and the guy crouching in the corner remained alive.
Now I understand.

I can't offer an opinion on this, as I don't use aim-assist. This might explain my accuracy numbers.
Dude... why? There's no fame or honor in playing without aim assist. And as much as people like to complain that it screws them up, I think they'd be hard pressed to show it does anywhere close to more harm than good.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2011, 12:17 PM

Dude... why? There's no fame or honor in playing without aim assist. And as much as people like to complain that it screws them up, I think they'd be hard pressed to show it does anywhere close to more harm than good.
I'm usually already moving to the target. By the time auto-assist takes control, I'm still pushing in the direction I was going, and I overshoot.

I actually turned it on yesterday after I saw your post, but I only played two games with it. It still feels crazy to use. I'm aware two games don't allow for me to get used to it though.

I've never played with it on. Not on single-player or multi. Not on MW2, either.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2011, 12:25 PM

I'm usually already moving to the target. By the time auto-assist takes control, I'm still pushing in the direction I was going, and I overshoot.
That's not exactly how it works. Auto-aim is "sticky".

I actually turned it on yesterday after I saw your post, but I only played two games with it. It still feels crazy to use. I'm aware two games don't allow for me to get used to it though.
The main reason it's there (and why I notice it's "off) is to help maintain your aim once you've acquired a target. With it off, I've noticed that when I'm trying to keep up with a strafing target, I'm constantly overshooting back and forth trying to keep up with their movement.

I've never played with it on. Not on single-player or multi. Not on MW2, either.
Wait, wait, wait... you couldn't turn off aim assist on MW2.

It's on in both games by default.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2011, 12:44 PM

That's not exactly how it works. Auto-aim is "sticky".
It feels (maybe just seems) stickier in multi-player than in single-player, but it still screws me up.

The main reason it's there (and why I notice it's "off) is to help maintain your aim once you've acquired a target. With it off, I've noticed that when I'm trying to keep up with a strafing target, I'm constantly overshooting back and forth trying to keep up with their movement.
But doesn't auto-assist impede your ability to acquire headshots?

Wait, wait, wait... you couldn't turn off aim assist on MW2.

It's on in both games by default.
Whaaaaaaaaa?

Are you 100% positive about that?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2011, 12:51 PM

Just checked: you're right. I just never noticed it being so strong, I guess. Maybe it's my imagination?

I've had aim-assist off in Black Ops from the moment I played single-player and hated it.

[EDIT] A quick Google search revealed a ton of threads asking why someone would want to cut their kill count in half by turning off aim-assist.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2011, 12:53 PM

Just checked: you're right. I just never noticed it being so strong, I guess. Maybe it's my imagination?
I thought it was weaker in Black Ops (wall penetrating abilities not-withstanding; I think that's a side-effect of their paper-maché walls)

I've had aim-assist off in Black Ops from the moment I played single-player and hated it.
Hated having it off?

Is aim assist in single-player and multi tied together?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2011, 01:10 PM

Hated having it off?

Is aim assist in single-player and multi tied together?
Nope. Hated it being on.

From what I've read online, it's auto-aim in single-player that I'm hating so badly. Aim-assist in multiplayer is separate, but I turned it off too.

I'm not going to be able to clear this all up until I get home.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2011, 01:11 PM

The suspense.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2011, 01:25 PM

Oh, it's riveting. I know.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2011, 01:28 PM

I meant for you.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2011, 05:13 AM

Played a few games last night. All was good until I went into std tdm. The lag and WTF? moments are still there. Barebones still lots of fun, but there isn't that adrenaline high that I used to get from MW2. One thing that I would recommend, is if you 've had a controller for a while - get a new one. My controller used to always make me go forward, even when my thumbs were nowhere near the joysticks. Hopefully this will also help in Red Dead.

I got a 2nd hand Assassin's Creed yesterday as well.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Played a few games last night. All was good until I went into std tdm. The lag and WTF? moments are still there. Barebones still lots of fun, but there isn't that adrenaline high that I used to get from MW2. One thing that I would recommend, is if you 've had a controller for a while - get a new one. My controller used to always make me go forward, even when my thumbs were nowhere near the joysticks. Hopefully this will also help in Red Dead.
I bought a new controller for the release of MW2. It was pretty worn by the end. I almost bought one of the silver ones last week (sale), but couldn't do it. Buying a controller every few years feels like a lot of overhead.

Which one?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2011, 10:58 AM

So, another big night last night (The unexpected return of fatty!) Ground War didn't treat us very well, but once we returned to TDM things began to right themselves. After 5 games, fatty has a 6.86 k/d on the week, which is impressive. It was raining SR71s. I'm sure Jawbone thought he was in Heaven.

MM however, was awful. Don't know if it was the last patch or the full party but it refused to put people in our lobbies.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2011, 12:45 PM

MW2 killed my first controller. The one I've got is only about 9 months old, but I'm already feeling it wear down.

Looks like my brother is giving me his copies of AC and AC II. I'm sure he means a loan, but I'm claiming ownership. Anyone in here think I should skip playing the first and go straight to the sequel?

So, another big night last night (The unexpected return of fatty!) Ground War didn't treat us very well, but once we returned to TDM things began to right themselves. After 5 games, fatty has a 6.86 k/d on the week, which is impressive. It was raining SR71s. I'm sure Jawbone thought he was in Heaven.

MM however, was awful. Don't know if it was the last patch or the full party but it refused to put people in our lobbies.
Ground War was awful. I'm quiet when I play anyways, but probably all you guys heard from me were exasperated sighs. And yes...during TDM, I was experiencing pure bliss.

I always feel a bullseye on my head when matchmaking doesn't go well (due to my moderate NAT), but then again, it never goes wrong when I'm playing with my typical (bro-in-law, brother, friend) 4-man party. I'm still going to reset my NAT again tonight or tomorrow. I've got to figure out why it keeps changing back.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2011, 12:48 PM

Forgot to mention...

Yesterday I burned my left index finger on the stove. There's a two-inch burn line down the length of my finger that is currently a combination of blister and strange, dead-feeling skin.

Is was still burning, and began to hurt like crap about halfway through our session last night, but I stuck with it because TDM was going so well. Luckily, it seems to have hardened up a bit today.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2011, 12:53 PM

Looks like my brother is giving me his copies of AC and AC II. I'm sure he means a loan, but I'm claiming ownership. Anyone in here think I should skip playing the first and go straight to the sequel?
Don't do the first. I didnt play II, but I thought Brotherhood was A+

I always feel a bullseye on my head when matchmaking doesn't go well (due to my moderate NAT), but then again, it never goes wrong when I'm playing with my typical (bro-in-law, brother, friend) 4-man party. I'm still going to reset my NAT again tonight or tomorrow. I've got to figure out why it keeps changing back.
Yeah, I don't get it. What a pain in the ass.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2011, 01:01 PM

I would agree with Dakar. Skip the first Assassin's Creed, it's not as good as Assassin's Creed II. Compared to AC II, the first AC gets boring and monotonous. Doing Assassin's Creed II will train you for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. They skip alot of the training and tutourial work in ACB that AC II does (I noticed alot of questions that Dakar had that I could answer because I did AC II).
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I would agree with Dakar. Skip the first Assassin's Creed, it's not as good as Assassin's Creed II. Compared to AC II, the first AC gets boring and monotonous. Doing Assassin's Creed II will train you for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. They skip alot of the training and tutourial work in ACB that AC II does (I noticed alot of questions that Dakar had that I could answer because I did AC II).
Advice taken. I'm told that AC II was a game-of-the-year contender, while AC was too deeply flawed to be elite. I just wondered if I needed some of the backstory.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2011, 01:27 PM

Go to youtube if you want backstory.
(Also, who gives a shit. The concept of Assassin's Creed is hilariously terrible – it's all about the gameplay)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2011, 01:33 PM

Go to youtube if you want backstory.
10-4

(Also, who gives a shit. The concept of Assassin's Creed is hilariously terrible – it's all about the gameplay)
See, I know almost nothing about the concept. All I know is that time-travel, but not physical time-travel, plays a part in it? No need for anyone to try to explain -- I'll either watch on YouTube this weekend or read up on it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2011, 01:36 PM

See, I know almost nothing about the concept. All I know is that time-travel, but not physical time-travel, plays a part in it? No need for anyone to try to explain -- I'll either watch on YouTube this weekend or read up on it.
The player is in reality playing as a modern-day man named Desmond Miles, who through the use of a machine named the "Animus", is allowed the viewing and controlling of the protagonist's genetic memories of his ancestors
It's so preposterous it's laudable.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2011, 01:43 PM

Wow...

Forum Links
Forum Rules