Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Disk Warrior & Mac OS 9

Disk Warrior & Mac OS 9
Daryl
Oct 18, 1999, 06:15 AM

Does anyone know if the current version of the Disk Warrior CD works OK with Mac OS 9?
Is there a new version planned for release any time soon?

madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 1999, 06:21 AM

I asked Alsoft the same question and this is their reply:

DiskWarrior 1.0.4 is completely compatible with Mac OS 9. However, we will be issuing an update that will allow DiskWarrior to take advantage of new features in Mac OS 9. This update will be free to all DiskWarrior owners. We expect to post the update on our web site before Mac OS 9 ships.
Power Mac Quad G5 2.5GHz, OS X 10.4.10
===
Aluminum 23" HD Cinema Display
===
Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4 w/Superdrive
===
iPhone 8GB

Daryl  (op)
Oct 18, 1999, 06:37 AM

As an iMac user,
an updated bootable CD would be more useful than an update download.
Isn't Disk Warrior best used by booting from
the CD?
Please vorrect me if I'm mistaken

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 1999, 01:36 PM

Daryl, DW can be run from anything other than the disk you are trying to scan/fix... even a floppy.

MacDiver
Oct 18, 1999, 05:17 PM

There will be a new DiskWarrior CD that will be able to boot the new iMacs, the iBook, and the new G4s. The new CD should be available before the end of October.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 1999, 03:13 PM

If necessary - can you create a RAM Disk if booted from another CD? - boot from any CD and put a copy of DW on ram disk... of course, you DO have a backup?

I don't trust and seems like expecting USB to support disk drives is too much - lot of message about problems - one area Apple hurt iMac owners - FireWire should help - but Alsoft charged just cost of shipping when I needed CD.

With bugs fixed in DFA and improved security Directory under OS 9.0 hopefully crashes and repairs will be less irksome.

Greg

whquaint
Oct 22, 1999, 02:14 PM

I'd like to know when Disk Express Pro is going to take advantage of new features in MacOS 8.1. Like, say, HFS+!!! What a crazy idea! The day I got DEP as a gift, it wouldn't run on my machine because I had already upgraded to 8.1. 6-9 months later, they finally came out with a version that will run under 8.1+. But it still only optimizes HFS disks. Then I upgraded my HD from 1.2 GB to 15 GB. Do you think I'm going to format this new drive as HFS? Not! So now DEP is again unusable on my machine. It may have the best optimization logic in the world, but it is worthless to most users.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 1999, 04:48 PM

whquaint, you have a legitimate beef...

Alsoft has been lagging seriously with their HFS+ update to Disk Express Pro and I have complained several times (heatedly) to Alsoft about it.

Further, when HFS+ became a MacOS 'standard' of sorts, Alsoft RELEASED NEW UTILITIES which worked with HFS+ and of course, Disk Express Pro was 'put aside' as far as I am concerned and I can not be convinced otherwise.

So Disk Express Pro owners were left with a useless utility while Alsoft made money on their new utilities, like PlusOptimizer, Plus Maker, etc... ALL of which work WELL, but we Disk Express Pro owners were ABANDONED.

Not nice, even given the fact that Alsoft has spun PR mightily with their free widgets and "Ask Al" column... making nice nice... yeah, well UNTIL the time they see fit to release an update to Disk Express Pro, it is all jive as far as I care. Disk Express Pro was NOT cheap and I got to use it for maybe 6 months before it was obsolesced by Alsoft.

BobbyG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 1999, 02:17 PM

I've used D.E. since its birth in the late 80's (still have the original floppies) and have sworn by it and recommended it over Speed Disk and other 'comes-with' optimizers. But AlSoft has really pulled a number on DE II/Pro owners for OVER TWO YEARS. It seems to have become a ritual of my journey to MacWorld SF that I approach their booth, inquire about DE & HFS+, am told "Real Soon," then steered toward their other products (which didn't exist when DE Pro was derailed by 8.1/HFS+). These folks know their low-level disk stuff: if they can make Plus Maker/Optimizer work with MacOS Extended, DE should be a walk in the park. So there's something else going on. Bait & Switch?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 1999, 03:08 PM

Bingo, BobbyG... you are correct as far as I am concerned. Bait and Switch, more or less.

And since MOST people seem to have 'discovered' Alsoft AFTER DiskExpressPro, nobody seems to think anything is WRONG HERE!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules