Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cloned my old Hard Drive and transferred to my new iMac = some applications wont open

Cloned my old Hard Drive and transferred to my new iMac = some applications wont open
tears2040
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2010, 11:54 AM

My logic Pro, Pro Tools, FCp, Motion, etc. will all not open when I transferred them to my new iMac i3.

I created a partition on my new iMac for 200gb and cloned my old MBP with an external HD. I tried to open it from the connected external HD and it wouldn't let me. I tried transferring the files from the external hard drive to the partitioned HD on the imac and it said this operation could not be done........

Also I tried booting from the external cloned HD and can not do any functions with my iMac as the keyboard and mouse are bluetooth and it does nothing when I type........

What am I doing wrong? I have been trying to figure this out for the past couple of days and it's driving me crazy

PLEASE HELP

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2010, 12:08 PM

At least for Logic, your serial number is tied to the machine and stored here:

Library/Application Support/ProApps/Logic Studio System ID

A new machine means you need to generate a new System ID. Delete the System ID file. Have your serial number at hand.

I assume FCP will work in a similar fashion.

tears2040  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
At least for Logic, your serial number is tied to the machine and stored here:

Library/Application Support/ProApps/Logic Studio System ID

A new machine means you need to generate a new System ID. Delete the System ID file. Have your serial number at hand.

I assume FCP will work in a similar fashion.
I have all of my serial #s, but the problem is the applications can't even open. It's like the file is not even recognized by the computer.......

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by tears2040 View Post
What am I doing wrong?
Cloning.

tears2040  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Cloning.
?

Spelling mistake........

Well hopefully someone can help me out

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2010, 01:05 PM

No. Strategy mistake.

You don't clone serialized pro software onto a new machine and expect it to work.
You can try it and hope some things will work, and expect to have to reinstall everything.

Have you tried my suggestion for Logic Studio?

tears2040  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2010, 01:23 PM

No. Strategy mistake.

You don't clone serialized pro software onto a new machine and expect it to work.
You can try it and hope some things will work, and expect to have to reinstall everything.

Why?

The perfect backup is to clone your Hard Drive. Would if you lose your install disc, your cloned HD is your only perfect back up. As of now my concern is with FCP not Logic. Secondly I am trying to boot from the cloned drive but since my imacs keyboard and mouse are bluetooth it does not recognize them and there is no way for me to turn on the settings without a wired keyboard I believe.

OreoCookie
Sep 11, 2010, 01:29 PM

Some of the apps that you have registered may recorded the configuration of your computer.

You should try to start afresh and use Migration Assistant to move your data. Then re-install all apps from the supplied installation media.

One more thing: cloning is a very bad backup strategy, you should definitely use an incremental backup for your data and not rely on clones are your backup. Time Machine, for instance, makes incremental backups easy and accessible.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by tears2040 View Post
Why?

The perfect backup is to clone your Hard Drive. Would if you lose your install disc, your cloned HD is your only perfect back up. As of now my concern is with FCP not Logic. Secondly I am trying to boot from the cloned drive but since my imacs keyboard and mouse are bluetooth it does not recognize them and there is no way for me to turn on the settings without a wired keyboard I believe.
You didn't read what I wrote.

You don't clone serialized pro software ONTO A NEW MACHINE and expect it to work.
I explained above WHY:
A new machine means you need to generate a new System ID.
I don't know, but I assume that Final Cut Pro works the same way as Logic, being from Apple and all.
Well, have you?

Have a nice day.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2010, 05:26 PM

Heh, on windows you would have way more problems than that. The other thing is if the old mac was PPC you wouldn't be able to boot from the cloned drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules