Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Power Mac 8500 and connecting to internet

Power Mac 8500 and connecting to internet
reutersong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 04:13 PM

Hi all -

I have a Power Mac 8500/132 that I just bought on eBay (I'm addicted to old macs , and it is running OS 8.1, with a US Robotics 28.8 modem (v.34) connected to it. For some reason, I cannot get a web page to load or anything. It is connecting to the internet fine (dialing, and connecting to my service provider), but when I go to browse the internet, nothing comes up. I have tried both Internet Explorer 5.1.5 (it just hangs there) and Netscape Navigator 4.78 (which freezes all together). I have tried playing with TCP settings - make sure it was set on PPP connection, and then trying all of the different PPP connections (PPP Server, BootP Server, DHCP Server), but nothing happens -- it just hangs. I'm thinking that perhaps it is the modem script that is no good -- I have it set to "US Robotics Universal" in the Modem control panel, but I'm not sure... I know the modem works because I just had it connected to another mac, and I was able to get onto the internet...Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!
Quicksilver G4/733; 1GB RAM; 60GB HD; Lite-On CD-R/W 48x24x48; Mac OS X 10.2.4
Blue & White G3/300; 512MB RAM; 40GB HD; Que CD-R/W Firewire 32x10x40; Mac OS X 10.2.4
Power Macintosh 7600 G3/500; 384MB RAM; 2GB HD; Mac OS 9.1

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 12, 2003, 08:24 PM

Try checking your DNS questions.
This is actually a OS8 question, but no one checks the classic forum, so I'll leave it here so you actually get an answer, if mine doesn't work.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Raymate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2003, 06:38 PM

8.1 is a pain to get on to the net, if you have 8.6 this is better, 8500 will run 9.1

You say it conects to the net, can you send/get email with outlook?

If you go down the update the OS route make sure you have generic installers, dont try to load installer discs you may have for other Macs.

And do a clean install.

www.macannex.co.uk
MaBook 1.83 (100 gig - 2 gig)
17" PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz HD screen (100 gig - 2 gig)
G4 1.25Ghz Duel (2 gb - 160 gig RAID S - 200 gig RAID M - OS 9 BOOT version)

http://www.applemk.co.uk

booboo
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 08:59 AM

You might need to stick some numbers in the DNS in TCP/IP

You get these numbers from your ISP

booboo
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 09:02 AM

Addicted to old Mac's, eh? Well I have a Centris and a Mac IIsi - they're much more of a challenge. Want them? Starmax anyone?

The 8500 will accept a G3 or G4 card and with only a little prodding, run Jag...

I'm pretty sure it is that a DNS entry is required - it's a 'feature'...

And, as it stands, I'd say Mac OS 8.6 is the best System for your Mac... not too much of a memory hog, and fairly stable....

Raymate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2003, 03:22 PM

Agree with booboo, 8.6 will be best but, open transport is much better in 9.1 thus handles the net better, but it does have a bigger memory hog than 8.6 but if you have RAM then i would go 9.1 and stick a G3 card in it.

Most ISP give out DNS dynamically, but some may need you to enter them. Check with your ISP.

Old kit i have a colour classic, duo dock and a LC475 all networked and working on the net (the colour classic does struggle fro web browsing but email if fine)
MaBook 1.83 (100 gig - 2 gig)
17" PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz HD screen (100 gig - 2 gig)
G4 1.25Ghz Duel (2 gb - 160 gig RAID S - 200 gig RAID M - OS 9 BOOT version)

http://www.applemk.co.uk

Forum Links
Forum Rules