Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 8600/200 cleanup question

8600/200 cleanup question
eyreka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2003, 11:44 AM

I was asked to wipe the drives of a Mac 8600 (200 Mhz 604e ). There is a 2 Gig system/app drive and a 9 Gig data drive. The 9 G drive had a Lacie driver. When I re-installed the OS it kept asking me to install/update the Lacie driver but as the intent was to sell a clean machine--nothing but the OS--I decided to really scrub that 9 G drive. To initialize the drive I set the low level formatting and zeroing options. Apparently a mistake as that was last Friday. It completed the low level formatting Tuesday and as of yesterday was still zeroing the drive. My question is does anyone out there know how long this should take before initialization is complete?

Raymate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 11:53 AM

A nine gig drive should low level in around 1-2 h it depend on how fast the Lacie drive is. It should not take days,you can low level a 40gig IDE in about 2-3 hours. Start it before bed and if it's still going in the morning then if it's still going then a) the drive has a srface error b) the mac has crashed.

If you have nortons let that run over the 9Gig if it freezes or hangs during the scan make a note on how far the bar got and do it again, if nortons dies again then the drive is faulty.

What OS are you running, that Mac is good for 9.1

9.1 drive setup will format any drive you give it, 8.1 or 8.5 drive setup will not like some drives
MaBook 1.83 (100 gig - 2 gig)
17" PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz HD screen (100 gig - 2 gig)
G4 1.25Ghz Duel (2 gb - 160 gig RAID S - 200 gig RAID M - OS 9 BOOT version)

http://www.applemk.co.uk

eyreka  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 12:45 AM

...What OS are you running, that Mac is good for 9.1
That machine IS running 9.1. Zeoring was still in progress Thursday and haven't been in to check since--hope to be able to get in tommorrow.

If still zeoring would interrupting damage drive beyond (full) recovery?

Someone suggested I get a copy of HardDisk Toolkit but I don't want another third party driver, the objective is to restore everything to a clean Mac only state.
( Last edited by eyreka; Mar 30, 2003 at 12:50 AM. )

Raymate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2003, 03:54 PM

Stopping a drive part way through a low level will not do any damage, all that will happen is the drive will not appear on the desktop and you will only be able to see it with drive setup.
As no directory structure will not have been finished and the Mac will not see it. The Mac could also say it needs initialising on start-up, let it do it.

Use drive setup, as this will update the driver on the drive. Using 9.1 drive setup will see any drive so you will not need a third party driver. I have used drive setup on hundred of drives over the years and found it to be the best way.

Only in the early days of Macs did you need third party formatting software for non-Apple hard drives.
MaBook 1.83 (100 gig - 2 gig)
17" PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz HD screen (100 gig - 2 gig)
G4 1.25Ghz Duel (2 gb - 160 gig RAID S - 200 gig RAID M - OS 9 BOOT version)

http://www.applemk.co.uk

Forum Links
Forum Rules