Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tell us about funny or odd things your cat(s) do

Tell us about funny or odd things your cat(s) do
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2012, 11:41 PM

This white cat that adopted us has turned out to be a damn weirdo, he's afraid of everything, likes to get oily underneath our cars, and likes to climb on top of the roof via a route he has discovered involving our BBQ. We even hear him on top of the roof late at night sometimes.

Tell us about your cats!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2012, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
This white cat that adopted us has turned out to be a damn weirdo

MUST. HOLD. BACK.

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2012, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

MUST. HOLD. BACK.

-t
You're weird.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2012, 06:00 AM

I don't have a cat. My dog sleeps on his back though. It's awesome.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2012, 06:56 AM

Please create another thread about dogs, this thread is about cats.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 23, 2012, 07:20 AM

Our youngest cat likes to play fetch with crinkly wrappers*. He'll chase them down and trot back to us, then drop the wrapper in front of us and turn in the direction he expects us to throw them. He's very good at it, too.

*Wrappers for granola bars are his favorite. We twist them up and tie them into a knot (more compact that way) that allows them to be thrown and carried easily.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Our youngest cat likes to play fetch with crinkly wrappers*. He'll chase them down and trot back to us, then drop the wrapper in front of us and turn in the direction he expects us to throw them. He's very good at it, too.

*Wrappers for granola bars are his favorite. We twist them up and tie them into a knot (more compact that way) that allows them to be thrown and carried easily.
Our cat does the same thing, except with hair ties. She's a much better fetcher than either of our dogs.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Thorzdad
Jan 23, 2012, 09:29 AM

Our cat does the same thing with the lid rings from milk jugs (the piece that stays on the jug when you twist-open the lid) He loves playing fetch with them.

He's also captivated by our portable room humidifier. The tanks have clear sections where you can see the water level. Our cat sits next to the humidifier, watching the bubbles whenever the tank empties more water into the humidifier. It keeps him captivated all day.

andi*pandi
Jan 23, 2012, 11:52 AM

Our cats enjoy chasing treats. If you put a treat down in front of them they will just look at it and back to you and then reluctantly eat it, but if you toss it across the floor they will chase it and bat it around like they are mighty hunters who have just tackled the king of all mice.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2012, 12:27 PM

Our youngest cat likes to play fetch with crinkly wrappers*.
One of my cats is this way. Plastic bags from the store are her favorite, even though she'll get stuck in the hand hole and carry the bag around like a parachute.

Every few feet she'll stop and adopt the "I totally meant to do this" pose.

My other cat thinks bags are the devil, but is surprisingly okay with vacuum cleaners.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2012, 01:36 PM

My cat would fit his rotund body into a way too small shoebox so that furry fat would ooze out over the side.
A couple of times he ate tinsel - use to call him tinsel ass, because the undigested tinsel would gradually work its way out, much to the amusement of me and my brother.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2012, 08:51 PM

I have two cats. They are indoor cats, but I take them outside for exercise when it's warm. They are not permitted to cross the street and can only play on my apartment building's property and the property to the left and right. They sometimes push the boundaries, but a snap of the fingers puts them back into line. The neighbours are amazing at my cat herding skills.

Sassy washes his paws in the toilet after using the litter box. No lie.

Gitche is very emo. Right now, the neighbours upstairs are fighting (again), and he is upset. It's not the noise, it's the voices. I've seen him start growling at the sound of a woman singing.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2012, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Our cat does the same thing with the lid rings from milk jugs (the piece that stays on the jug when you twist-open the lid) He loves playing fetch with them.
Both my cats played fetch as kittens, but they grew out of it. Now they just chase anything thrown for them. But very occasionally they will bring it back.

I bought a Nerf gun the other day. Sassy was so pleased he fetched the darts until he was tired. But he hasn't been interested since.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Jan 23, 2012, 09:19 PM

My cat does that with bottle caps. I'll pick up a bottle cap and tap on it and she gets this wide eyed crazy look about her. She also has a weird obsession with the laser printer. She has to run to observe it any time it spins up.

When my 3 year old kid throws a tantrum, the cat will attack me.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2012, 01:17 PM

We spent the last week and a half away from home. When we got back, we discovered that one of our cats (Dexter) has taught himself to play fetch. We were sitting on the couch watching TV, and he came in carrying a ball that he dropped at my feet. Threw it for him maybe 5 or 6 times and he kept brining it back until eventually he got bored and decided to attack their water fountain thingy.

He's about 3 years old and has never done this before.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2012, 05:55 AM

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2012, 06:25 AM

Our cat used to wee all over the kitchen every night. Phew it was stinky each morning. It had kidney issues so we had to put it down.

I guess you had to be there?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2012, 01:32 PM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2012, 09:10 AM

I'm going to be so pissed if I find out that Doofy has been posting information about his cat to that site.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2012, 03:51 PM

I need some cat advice guys.

Our cat can never decide whether he wants to be inside or outside, he's constantly wanting in and out of the house... If we were to reside by the door at all times he'd probably go in and out 30 or more times a day.

Do you think he needs surgery?

Also, even though we put down a perfectly good water bowl, he insists on drinking out of the birdbath. Another thing for surgery?

andi*pandi
Feb 8, 2012, 03:59 PM

You might consider lobotomy, for yourself.

The cat is fine.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

The cat is fine.

I take it you've had a lobotomy and would recommend it to me? What is recovery time like?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2012, 04:03 PM

Our cat can never decide whether he wants to be inside or outside, he's constantly wanting in and out of the house... If we were to reside by the door at all times he'd probably go in and out 30 or more times a day.
Easy fix: get a second cat, abnd designate one for inside, and one for outside. There.

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2012, 04:10 PM

I need some cat advice guys.

Do you think he needs surgery?
I think he needs a cat flap.

Also, even though we put down a perfectly good water bowl, he insists on drinking out of the birdbath. Another thing for surgery?
Cats can taste all the chemicals in tap water. They often prefer rainwater from puddles, ponds or whatever is available. I knew one who would drink tap water directly from the tap by tilting his head sideways and sticking his tongue in the stream of water. Its harder to taste the chemicals if the water is moving apparently.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2012, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Easy fix: get a second cat, abnd designate one for inside, and one for outside. There.

-t
Since they'd want to swap there would have to be some way to keep track of who is who. Maybe I could make the outdoor cat wear a hat.

andi*pandi
Feb 8, 2012, 04:49 PM

I take it you've had a lobotomy and would recommend it to me? What is recovery time like?
I've not had one myself, but Jack Nicholson had great results. You should do your own research, it's your brain!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2012, 05:06 PM

I've not had one myself, but Jack Nicholson had great results. You should do your own research, it's your brain!

It's okay, I trust you. You are a seasoned esteemed MacNN moderator, there is no reason to distrust you. Please let me know if you hear anything that might be useful to pass on. Thanks!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2012, 05:17 PM

The cat is fine.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

besson's threads make me reconsider on occasion.

I'll just wander off into the kitchen now, and see whether I come back with a beer, wine, or an icepick.

andi*pandi
Feb 8, 2012, 05:21 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules