Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The official OS X 10.10 Yosemite thread

The official OS X 10.10 Yosemite thread (Page 2)
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2014, 09:16 AM

I like it so far. My external Thunderbolt/USB3 JBOD array seems to be noticeably more stable.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 24, 2014, 09:02 AM

Regarding the long shut-down delay... I still see it occasionally. I may have to post a "normal shutdown" log and a "long shutdown" log from the Console to compare.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Oct 26, 2014 at 09:14 AM. )

Jeff75
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2014, 12:38 PM

The upgrade to OS X 10.10 was flawless for me. I backed up to Time Machine and did a Carbon Copy Clone, but they weren't needed. In the course of one evening I updated:
  1. Parallels to v10
  2. 1Password to v5
  3. Carbon Copy Cloner to Yosemite-friendly
  4. all three iWork apps on my Mac
  5. MS Office 2011 security upgrade to latest
  6. iPhone 5S to iOS8.1
  7. all three iWork apps on my iPhone
  8. OS X from 10.9 to 10.10 on my 2011 MBP 17" with a Crucial 512Gb SSD drive

I'm up and running today, at work, in a Windoze corporate offie using my Mac for everything like I usually do.
Kudos to the whole Apple team - this was SO painless.
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

Ham Sandwich
Oct 24, 2014, 03:04 PM

Is anybody able to load this webpage and not have Safari totally freak the hell out?!

Microscope Lens submited images | Pic2Fly

I just tried twice and Safari seems to go into these infinite loops and gets hot

bigpoppa206
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2014, 05:19 PM

Screwed up my late 2009 iMac (A1311.) System came with nvidia 9400m graphics, now after a clean install of Yosemite (USB flash drive) it says I have an ATI Radeon 4670. WTF?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 24, 2014, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by bigpoppa206 View Post
Screwed up my late 2009 iMac (A1311.) System came with nvidia 9400m graphics, now after a clean install of Yosemite (USB flash drive) it says I have an ATI Radeon 4670. WTF?
You didn't get the 21.5-inch model with the 4670? Odd coincidence if you didn't, and its misidentifying the card in the machine.

bigpoppa206
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
You didn't get the 21.5-inch model with the 4670? Odd coincidence if you didn't, and its misidentifying the card in the machine.
No I am using this machine for DJ work and specifically wanted it with the nvidia system for compatibility with the software I am using. PS, not odd as the nvidia 9400m was the default system on the BTO machines and the ATI had to be requested. Purchased this machine directly from Apple as a refurb.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 24, 2014, 06:43 PM

Huh. That's funky. Haven't seen that one before.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2014, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Is anybody able to load this webpage and not have Safari totally freak the hell out?!

Microscope Lens submited images | Pic2Fly

I just tried twice and Safari seems to go into these infinite loops and gets hot
Safari doesn't freak out for me but the pics don't load either!
They load fine in Firefox though!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2014, 11:34 AM

That page has several javascript errors, a few 404s, a connect to server error, and massive cross origin errors so that is probably why its having problems. 77 errors on load total.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2014, 07:42 PM

Does anyone know how to get the timestamp to show for all messages at all times in the new Messages in Yosemite?

Ham Sandwich
Oct 26, 2014, 02:45 PM

Alright ever since using Yosemite I notice that gigabytes of my hard drive space will vanish after like a week of use. I already flushed the Safari cache and restarted my computer and didn't install anything except for a few small apps and downloaded some pics (combined about 400 MB), but in the last week I went from 72 GB to 69 GB on a clean install, so what's going on?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2014, 05:47 PM

Probably local Time Machine snapshots.

At least, that's what it's been since Lion, IIRC.

Also the most likely explanation for why people were seeing several gb of extra free space directly after installation.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2014, 06:18 AM

Is anybody using Dark Mode?
Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Yes, why?
I'll ask again - was there a specific reason why you asked?

Because I would now be interested if anybody who is using dark mode can confirm some weird behaviour I have discovered:

- on my MacBook Pro (late 2011) I found a small graphics bug in dark mode that I also reported to Apple in the beta test but it was not fixed! In drop-down menus from the Menu-Bar, the large letters (upper case, "l" etc.) shift their size a little when selected! It is hardly noticable.
- this does not happen on my new Mac mini with Yosemite in dark mode!
- my MacBook Pro starts up with a dark Apple on a bright background - my Mac mini starts with a bright Apple on a dark background!
Anybody know why?

Ham Sandwich
Oct 28, 2014, 09:57 AM

I'll ask again - was there a specific reason why you asked?
Doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Probably local Time Machine snapshots.

At least, that's what it's been since Lion, IIRC.

Also the most likely explanation for why people were seeing several gb of extra free space directly after installation.
I'm confused. If my Time Machine snapshot is only 1 GB, then how come 4 GB of space vanished in a week and a half when I haven't downloaded more than 1 GB of stuff (and deleted much of it) and when App Store isn't downloading anything?

I'd really like to go in and delete some stuff to free up hard drive space.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2014, 04:22 PM

- on my MacBook Pro (late 2011) I found a small graphics bug in dark mode that I also reported to Apple in the beta test but it was not fixed! In drop-down menus from the Menu-Bar, the large letters (upper case, "l" etc.) shift their size a little when selected! It is hardly noticable.
I now found out that it only happens when LCD font smoothing is turned on!
- this does not happen on my new Mac mini with Yosemite in dark mode!
I was wrong - it's also on the new Mac mini with LCD font smoothing!

Maybe Apple should listen to my bug reports...

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2014, 04:44 PM

Yosemite has rendered all Kodak printers useless, including mine. Plenty of threads on the Apple support forums.

Posters that have contacted Kodak have been told a fix is in the works.
( Last edited by Chongo; Oct 28, 2014 at 05:28 PM. )
45/47

mindwaves
Oct 30, 2014, 01:44 AM

Yosemite has given me no problems with my printer drivers and my VirtualBox. However, it cannot keep remembering the Notification preferences, which searching online, seems to be a widespread issue.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 3, 2014, 11:14 AM

How do I force Safari to download a PDF in a fancy webpage where it shows up as a document within a frame in a browser? This is a library webpage so I can't just give you a link and I can't separate the frame with the link to the PDF from the frame with everything else. But if I try to use Download Link, it will sometimes download an HTML file, but other times (depending on the journal) it will work normally. If I use the Download Linked File As... option, it will just sit there saying "Preparing to download" and then it will tell me "Zero KB of ? - The request timed out." If I just click on the link, it loads within the window, but then there is no way for me to save the PDF if it's in a frame. If I try "Save As..." then it'll save the webpage but not the PDF within the frame within the webpage.

Isn't there a way to disable the built-in ? Every time I come back to this issue I can never find where that option is or I find it and it doesn't work and I have to disable some other checkbox somewhere and I have to do something different each time this issue pops up. I just want, every time I click on any like to any PDF, Safari automatically downloads it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2014, 03:56 PM

You mean you're trying to circumvent webpages designed specifically to make difficult/impossible what you're trying to do.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2014, 03:59 PM

I'm confused. If my Time Machine snapshot is only 1 GB, then how come 4 GB of space vanished in a week and a half when I haven't downloaded more than 1 GB of stuff (and deleted much of it) and when App Store isn't downloading anything?
How do you figure that your Time Machine snapshot is only 1 GB?

Ham Sandwich
Dec 3, 2014, 11:40 PM

You mean you're trying to circumvent webpages designed specifically to make difficult/impossible what you're trying to do.
Isn't there a way to disable PDF plugins like in Firefox?

How do you figure that your Time Machine snapshot is only 1 GB?
Say I plug in my external hard drive, it'll say it tries to backup 1 GB of data to it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2014, 01:55 PM

Isn't there a way to disable PDF plugins like in Firefox?
There is for plugins, which is in the Security preference pane of the Safari preferences, or to just remove them from the Internet Plug-ins folder.
PDF isn't a plug-in; it's a system framework.

And disabling it would just mean that the content weren't displayed at all.

How about this extension?
Schubert|it PDF Browser Plugin

First hit in Google search for "pdf downloader extension safari". Sounds like it should fit the bill…?

Ham Sandwich
Dec 5, 2014, 09:04 AM

Library > Internet Plug-Ins ?

I don't see anything from Adobe or PDFs there, or in security preferences.

Oh wait a minute, that reminds me, when I used to have Adobe installed, that's when Safari's behavior changed. But I refreshed my OS so there's no Adobe.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2014, 03:20 PM

Your system is behaving the way mine always has as far as I can remember, and I've never had Adobe's Reader plug-in installed, ever.

If you read what I wrote, you will find that the PDF viewer is not a plug-in, but a system framework.

There is a mechanism for disabling plug-ins on a per-site basis in Safari's security preference pane, which doesn't apply to PDFs, because those aren't handled by a plug-in.

Have you tried the extension I linked to?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 6, 2014, 09:13 AM

OS X natively creates PDFs and (I believe) natively renders them too. PDF handling is deep in the innards of the OS. Browsers use the OS to render PDFs.

Now if the question is how to keep a browser from downloading inline PDFs, that's another issue completely. Some browsers will let you do that, others won't. I think Firefox lets you choose that under its page content options, but I haven't played with Firefox for quite some time so I'm not certain of that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2014, 01:27 PM

He wants the opposite: to download a PDF that is rendered within a frame.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2014, 02:35 PM

As Spheric said, Schubert|it PDF Plugin FTW.

I have been using it for probably 8 years, it's a great PDF plugin.

-t

Ham Sandwich
Dec 7, 2014, 06:54 PM

Have you tried the extension I linked to?
Well I think so, but I installed it an I don't see it anywhere under Extensions. My browser looks the same as before I installed it. Viewing a PDF is the same, and second-clicking doesn't bring up any new options for PDFs. I don't think anything got installed so I can't tell if I've tried it or not.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2014, 03:55 PM

If you go into Preview Pref's & select under PDF's "Opening for the First Time",
Show as (select) Single Page or ⌘2 this will give you scroll across instead of up/down.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 16, 2014, 09:30 PM

Where is the option to caption a picture in Preview with outlined text? I don't see that in Yosemite.

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2014, 02:58 AM

Alright ever since using Yosemite I notice that gigabytes of my hard drive space will vanish after like a week of use. I already flushed the Safari cache and restarted my computer and didn't install anything except for a few small apps and downloaded some pics (combined about 400 MB), but in the last week I went from 72 GB to 69 GB on a clean install, so what's going on?
Have a look at /var/vm which is where virtual memory files are created, and can easily amount to gigabytes depending on how you are using your Mac, over a week or two. Also sleep image files are there and they can be large also.

The virtual memory files tend to be created and released continuously so usage can go up and down.
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8
Macbook Pro Retina Display 15", 16 GB RAM, 10.7.4
iMac G5 2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.5.8
Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8

ff11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2015, 11:07 AM

How do I force Safari to download a PDF in a fancy webpage where it shows up as a document within a frame in a browser? This is a library webpage so I can't just give you a link and I can't separate the frame with the link to the PDF from the frame with everything else. But if I try to use Download Link, it will sometimes download an HTML file, but other times (depending on the journal) it will work normally. If I use the Download Linked File As... option, it will just sit there saying "Preparing to download" and then it will tell me "Zero KB of ? - The request timed out." If I just click on the link, it loads within the window, but then there is no way for me to save the PDF if it's in a frame. If I try "Save As..." then it'll save the webpage but not the PDF within the frame within the webpage.

Isn't there a way to disable the built-in ? Every time I come back to this issue I can never find where that option is or I find it and it doesn't work and I have to disable some other checkbox somewhere and I have to do something different each time this issue pops up. I just want, every time I click on any like to any PDF, Safari automatically downloads it.
I think the PDFs are opening through the Adobe plug in. You should be able to save them by using the controls within the plug-in. You should see disc, printer, mail etc. icons on the upper left, inside the Safari window. Clicking on the disc icon should save the PDF. On some pages, if you hover the cursor over the page, you will see the icon bar pop up towards the bottom of the screen.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 5, 2015, 01:48 PM

I don't think that I have the Adobe PDF plug-in installed.

P
Jan 5, 2015, 02:56 PM

It could be that the library renders the PDF in Javascript precisely so you will not be able to download it. In that case, there is no setting you can do on the Mac to circumvent that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 11, 2015, 01:54 PM

Found the culprit. About 1.5 GB of iPod software updates were being stored in

~/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates

and since the Library folder is invisible I wasn't thinking of checking it. I already updated my iPod anyway, so I just deleted the 1.5 GB and I'm all set.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 12, 2015, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
It could be that the library renders the PDF in Javascript precisely so you will not be able to download it. In that case, there is no setting you can do on the Mac to circumvent that.
Alright here's the code that causes it:
Code:
<frameset rows="65,*"> <frame src="/content/6/1/35.full.pdf+html?frame=header" name="HeaderLinks" title="Header Links Frame" scrolling="no" /> <frameset cols="*,240"> <frame src="/content/6/1/35.full.pdf" name="ContentsPage" title="Contents Frame" /> <frame src="/content/6/1/35.full.pdf+html?frame=sidebar" name="SidebarLinks" title="Sidebar Links Frame" /> </frameset> <noframes> <body></body> </noframes> </frameset>
Basically if the PDF *IS* a frame, then what happens when I control-click on the PDF frame is I get a contextual menu with no Download option. Instead, the options that I get are:

Search in Spotlight
Search in Bing
Look Up in Dictionary
Copy
Open with Preview
Automatically Resize
Zoom In
Zoom Out
Actual Size
Single Page
Single Page Continuous
Two Pages
Two Pages Continuous

but no Download option, and no option to open that frame as a new tab.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2015, 03:51 PM

I guess this is standard for new users...

OMGOMGOMG! SO UGLY! MAKE IT STOP!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2015, 05:26 PM

You just upgraded? It's like iOS 7. In about ten days, older versions will seem tacky and quaint.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2015, 07:09 PM

New Mini, so forced upgrade.

I recall being halfway okay with iOS 7. This seems far worse.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 23, 2015, 08:01 AM

The interface is different, but I don't think it's "ugly." I'm not happy with the flattened style of the app icons, but they do seem to be a bit clearer (2007 iMac) than they were before.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ham Sandwich
Jan 23, 2015, 10:08 AM

oops, I had a 10.1 Aqua nostalgia moment.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2015, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The interface is different, but I don't think it's "ugly." I'm not happy with the flattened style of the app icons, but they do seem to be a bit clearer (2007 iMac) than they were before.
Excluding the Finder icon, which is just a shit sandwich, I feel like the problem is it's designed for a retina display...

Which I don't have, and Apple does not offer for a Mini.

Edit: what's worse is if an ACD looks under-rezzed, I'm worried it's really going to look like crap on a 50" TV, which is where this Mac is going.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 23, 2015 at 01:05 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2015, 02:04 PM

I knew this time would come... they made it so I can't pick dotmac for my Apple mail account.

And it chose dotme, which is the most obnoxious of the three options.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 23, 2015, 02:33 PM

They could replace the high-on-speed Finder face icon with an icon of your computer, tailored to whatever machine you use. And while they're at it, they could replace "Finder" in the menu bar with (insert your product name, e.g., "Macbook Pro")

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2015, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I knew this time would come... they made it so I can't pick dotmac for my Apple mail account.

And it chose dotme, which is the most obnoxious of the three options.
You can still select your @mac.com address as "from" address, if that's what you mean.

I've never used the "@me" addresses, and none of my devices has ever sent mail from that address.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2015, 12:43 AM

Where do you even select the from address?

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2015, 04:29 AM

In Mail>Pref>Acc>Acc-Info then click the Alias to select what email address you want.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2015, 02:40 AM

D'oh!

Thank you!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2015, 01:14 PM

I'm a little surprised. Looks much better on a TV than an ACD (ATD).

Forum Links
Forum Rules