Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > wired Airport Express acting as access point

wired Airport Express acting as access point
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2011, 07:03 PM

I have a first generation Airport Express (b/g only)

I am attempting to use it as an access point, in Bridge Mode, wired into a switch that is connected to the router. when I set it to Create A Wireless Network, I enter the SSID of my wifi network. however, the only options I get for Security are WEP 40bit, WEB 128bit, WPA/WPA2 Personal, WPA2 Personal, WPA/WPA2 Enterprise, and WPA2 Enterprise.

my wifi network is only WPA (don't believe it is Enterprise but I'm not sure what Enterprise means) however when I select the WPA/WPA2 Personal security option through the Airport Utility, I can see in Kismac that the Airport Express is broadcasting as WPA2.

Why is this? Why can I not set it to broadcast as only WPA? why does it only have a WPA/WPA2 Personal option?

additional info: my other access points are 2 Linksys' which are set to use WPA Personal with AES encryption. the other access point is a Netgear which is set on WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key). this does not specify AES or TKIP, however I have had no problems with this setup.
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Aug 30, 2011 at 07:15 PM. )

Cold Warrior
Aug 30, 2011, 10:30 PM

The only use now for WPA is backwards-compatibility, and that's what apple offers with the wpa/wpa2 personal option.

For devices that work with WPA, AES or TKIP in WPA shouldn't cause any problems, so I'm not sure what the problem is. WPA2 is AES-only, so if you're worried about TKIP security, WPA isn't what you want to use anyway: WPA2 is best.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2011, 01:03 AM

The netgear can only go up to WPA so that's why I'm sticking to that. But I really should upgrade that one.

Anyway, I seemed to have fixed the problem. The airport express wasnt getting the right subnet mask or gateway through DHCP so I manually entered a NAT IP, subnet mask, and gateway and it works just fine now. There also doesn't seem to be any connection problems when moving around and hopping from access points. I guess I'm chalking this up to the airport express as being pretty old and only using the 6.3 firmware.

Forum Links
Forum Rules