Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wireless camera for security suggestions? (UK)

Wireless camera for security suggestions? (UK)
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2014, 02:45 PM

Hi all,

I'd like to put a camera facing my front door so I can see who is there when they ring the bell. It needs to be wireless, and I'd like to be able to see the feed on my Mac and iOS devices.

Can any one offer any suggestions (that I can get in the UK and isn't too pricey).

It'll be inside, facing out, it can be powered from the mains, and has to be wifi (it can't be connected to my LAN, it's too far from my router to lay cable).

I don't need a recorder. Frankly, I only want it so I can see if the person at the door is someone I know or want to meet (eg a courier), or a religious/political solicitor (my front door is recessed, so I can only see who's there if I go up to it, and then they can see me).

UK residents know Maplins. I went to one today, and the guy and his colleagues wouldn't stop recommending a DVR equipped multi camera system, which I definitely don't need (especially at £199). So, I gave up and am now hoping to buy on Amazon, with some good advice from here :-)

Can anyone help out?

Thanks in advance,

Chas

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 2, 2014, 11:09 PM

I recommended using Dropcam as a baby monitor in another thread, and it sounds like the kind of thing that would work for you. The free version allows realtime monitoring via iOS and Android, you can pay a monthly fee for DVR if you want but I don't.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2014, 10:03 AM

hi Laminar,

Really sorry to not come back to this thread to thank you for the answer, I do appreciate it.

To dip my toes in the water, I've ended up purchasing a Foscam FI8910W. Reasonably inexpensive (the black one is a lot more pricey, for some reason). Should arrive tomorrow.

Dropcam was well reviewed by the obsessive guys at Wirecutter, by the way.

Cheers!

Chas

Forum Links
Forum Rules