Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Mid-2007 Mac mini not recognizing Gigabit ethernet

Mid-2007 Mac mini not recognizing Gigabit ethernet
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2013, 12:15 AM

I have had this Mac mini running since I bought it in 2007, ethernet humming along perfectly on 100base all that time. It currently runs 10.7.5 Server.

I just upgraded the switch to Gigabit and the Mac mini only neogtiates 100base. If I set it to 1000baseT manually in System Preferences->Network->Ethernet->Advanced->Hardware, it just cycles through Cable unplugged and Cable not connected (orange, red light). When set to automatic, it sets to 100base and performs as expected.

The kicker is that I have a late 2006 Macbook (10.6.8) that, when plugged into the same line, negotiates Gigabit just fine. I was transferring files at 80MB/sec. What can I do in this situation? What is the deal here? I know the NIC should be capable of Gigabit, but it refuses to do so.
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Jan 26, 2013 at 12:31 AM. )

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2013, 04:08 PM

This is disheartening. I am at a loss as to why this Mac mini refuses to do gigabit, but apparently I am not alone in this predicament. Pretty salty.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2013, 08:43 PM

Are you using the same cable for both machines? A damaged cable can reduce speeds.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2013, 01:05 AM

same cable, same port on the switch. have tried different ports on the switch. have tried different cables. it has to be something with the Mac mini. I have found some threads on Apple Discussion board with issues with Mac mini NIC, but none that exhibit the same symptoms: 100base works perfectly fine, but not gigabit.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2013, 03:32 AM

What switch did you upgrade to?

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2013, 04:09 PM

Trendnet model #TEG-S50G

Remember, the other devices (older and newer) I tried on the same line negotiate Gigabit just fine.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2013, 06:58 PM

I have a 2007 Mini. I'll plug it into something and see what mine does when I get a sec.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I have a 2007 Mini. I'll plug it into something and see what mine does when I get a sec.
Didja get around to that yet?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2013, 08:33 PM

OK, so I finally got around to it. I had to rebuild the OS since I tried upgrading it to Mountain Lion and it wouldn't boot anymore.

Hooked up to a Draytek Vigor 2850 router the System preferences listed the speed as 1000Base-T.

I transferred a 2.7GB file in about 90 seconds or so. Not blinding but certainly better than 100Mbit.

I was running 10.7.0 I think. Not a clean copy. It was upgraded from 10.7.5 to 10.8 then downgraded again. Hope that helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules