Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Page filing in XP on a flash drive?

Page filing in XP on a flash drive?
MadanKnightRyukendo
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2009, 12:54 PM

I recently bought a very small USB flash drive (meant to be used in photo frames without being seen), 1 GB capacity. I was thinking about using it to store documents and such from my netbook, but with some performance issues lately, I was wondering if I would see any significant increase in performance by setting up the USB drive to use it's entire available space for page filing (currently page filing is not enabled on my SSD or the SDHC card that was included for additional storage).

So, could it be of any use for this purpose, or should I just stick with using the drive for storage?

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 22, 2009, 10:18 PM

The paging space needs to have VERY fast access to be useful. A USB flash drive, or in fact any USB connected drive, will be so slow that it won't be useful.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 07:34 PM

Theoretically, you might be able to, although generally Windows will put the paging file on the same drive that it's paging. But, like Glenn said, you might not see much of a performance difference because of bottlenecks with the flash drive, the USB port, and the FSB.

What performance issues are you seeing with your netbook, and what netbook do you own?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

MadanKnightRyukendo  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2009, 02:56 PM

I have a 1.6 Ghz Acer Aspire One. Most of the issues are just in programs locking up quite a bit, especially Firefox. If you remember, you were trying to help me with the issues in another thread and suggested changing the SSD (can't, too broke), or disabling page filing (it was already disabled). I've already tried to tweak some of the graphical settings in Windows, which has helped, but only a little bit so far.

Quick question, semi-on topic...would an internal SD reader access any faster? I recently cleared off the 8 GB SDHC card the Aspire One came with (after getting my hands on a cheap 250 GB external HD), and I also have a 1 GB SD that is supposed to have faster access speeds (I guess it's supposed to be for professional photography and such), so I could easily devote a fair bit of space on one of those, if it might help get things running smoother.

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 26, 2009, 05:01 PM

Internal SD readers typically use the USB bus for access, so you wouldn't get any advantage out of that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules