Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Icons can't be dragged OR dropped. Please advise.

Icons can't be dragged OR dropped. Please advise.
Monstermind
Dec 16, 2002, 04:22 PM

On a Dual-gig G4 that shipped with 10.2.2, I am unable to drag ANYthing ANYwhere on my desktop.

I can't drag-n-drop to the trash (or anywhere else) and I can't copy files to other locations using drag-n-drop (thank GOD for the copy-n-paste feature).

Also, the app icons appear in the dock as folders (?!).

Any ideas? The machine's only been in use 3 days...

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 04:25 PM

Rebooting doesn't help?

Reinstall Jaguar.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

piracy
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 04:26 PM

Have you tried rebooting?

One possible solution is deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist

If that doesn't fix it, you may have a corrupt coreservicesd (which resides at /System/Library/CoreServices/coreservicesd; its actual home is /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Support/coreservicesd). You can try replacing this with a known good copy from the install CD (requires use of Terminal).

The drag-and-drop-dying issue is rare, but generally happens when something dies while utilizing drag services.

You do not have to reinstall the OS to fix this, but that would also certainly fix it...

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
Have you tried rebooting?

One possible solution is deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist

If that doesn't fix it, you may have a corrupt coreservicesd (which resides at /System/Library/CoreServices/coreservicesd; its actual home is /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Support/coreservicesd). You can try replacing this with a known good copy from the install CD (requires use of Terminal).

The drag-and-drop-dying issue is rare, but generally happens when something dies while utilizing drag services.

You do not have to reinstall the OS to fix this, but that would also certainly fix it...
Wow, that's good to know.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 16, 2002, 11:21 PM

Happened to me a few times too.

There's also a rare occurence bug where icons on the desktop don't highlite when they are clicked.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2002, 06:52 PM

This just happened to me (G4 upgraded Pismo Powerbook running 10.2.2). It happened when I was trying to mount a disc image of a DVD in Toast. ALL of my running apps quit, including the finder, except for Toast itself. But when the finder restarted the image was mounted as it should have been. Anyway a reboot set things right, but this is apparently not that unusual a problem. I've read quite a few reports of other people having similar problems.

Ookla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 08:36 PM

See this thread and this thread for more advice and for links to Apple's KB for instructions on how to deal with the problem.

jparisi
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2002, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Monstermind:
On a Dual-gig G4 that shipped with 10.2.2, I am unable to drag ANYthing ANYwhere on my desktop.

I can't drag-n-drop to the trash (or anywhere else) and I can't copy files to other locations using drag-n-drop (thank GOD for the copy-n-paste feature).

Also, the app icons appear in the dock as folders (?!).

Any ideas? The machine's only been in use 3 days...
I had the same problem - and my problem also started when mounting an image. I reinstalled Jaguar before i found this:
http://www.ifthensoft.com/ and look at 'dragster'

ambush
Banned
Dec 17, 2002, 09:23 PM

The drag'n'drop server crashes, sometimes.
You have to reboot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules