Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple NYC SOHO store

Apple NYC SOHO store
javabeans
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2003, 01:11 PM

Does anybody know if NYC SOHO store have the 17" demo version you can play with?

I'm heading there later on today and I'd like to know to add some excitement to my trip...

Thanks

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2003, 01:13 PM

My local Comp USA had it, Soho store must have it by now...

javabeans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2003, 01:26 PM

Where is your local compUSA?

Thanks....I gotta start leaving now...have a good weekend.

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2003, 02:43 PM

call and ask?

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2003, 03:59 PM

The Fry's in Austin has one you can play with.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2003, 03:59 PM

they're there...on display and try-able.
finally!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

skidaniel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2003, 10:41 PM

they have a 17" Powerbook on the floor for testing at the Crossgates Mall in Albany, NY when I was there today.

When I was looking at the 17 today, (Saturday, April 12th), one of the salesman said that they had a unit in stock that was returned with one dead pixel, and was on sale for $2999, (or a saving of $250). I was tempted, but am really waiting for the 15.4" Albook to come out before I make the jump.

Maybe one of you guys will go and scoop it up

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 10:56 PM

Yes, Soho has a display unit that you can actually lay your hands on. So does Tekserve on 119 West 23rd Street (that's between 6th and 7th Avenue). I've fondled them both.

javabeans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2003, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
Yes, Soho has a display unit that you can actually lay your hands on. So does Tekserve on 119 West 23rd Street (that's between 6th and 7th Avenue). I've fondled them both.
Thanks...all I went to the NYC SOHO store and played with it myself though after about 20min of waiting....what a beauty!

Target Practice
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2003, 11:13 PM

Whoa... wait a minute...
Originally posted by skidaniel:
the salesman said that they had a unit in stock that was returned with one dead pixel, and was on sale for $2999, (or a saving of $250).
So Apple is reselling a $3299 machine for $2,999 after it has been returned for a 10% ($320) re-stocking fee due to a dead pixel. Therefore, Apple makes $20 more profit on a PowerBook 17" with a dead pixel than a perfect one. In the process, some poor customer pays a $300 re-stocking fee while in reality is paying a premium for a perfect screen and subsidizing some other less-discriminating customer's $300 discount.

Now tell me what incentive Apple has to fix the dead pixel problem? Because I don't see any.

Apple would save everybody some time and trouble by checking the screens of assembled units at the factory and straighforwardly listing perfect PowerBook 17s for $3599, imperfect ones for $2999, and "your-guess-is-as-good-as-mine" versions for those who feel like gambling for the regular $3299 price.

Forum Links
Forum Rules