Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Firewire burner

Firewire burner
Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2000, 11:18 AM

What firewire cd burner do u guys think is good? I dont want anything overly expensive and im just gonna use if for burning cd's(already have a dvd player on my G4)

jaguarandi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2000, 11:59 AM

Not to tout the 'competition', but www.macintouch.com has lots of reader letters on this same subject. Most of them say the QPS and the Sony units have had some problems, but are getting better, especially with firmware releases, etc.

Firewire drives by nature are expensive. I'm currently borrowing a Zip650 USB and it performs flawlessly at 4x. If you're not worried about speed and need to save money, you could do a lot worse - it runs for $249 or less.

I'm personally saving for the new Yamaha FW drive - we have SCSI Yamahas at work for our PCs and they have never done us wrong.

/e

Hervon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2000, 11:30 PM

I bought a Plextor 12x10x32 with BurnProof and put it in a ADS Pyro Firewire case. Works great. It has been recommanded many times in the Drive Compatibility Database at www.xlr8yourmac.com.

ciao

Herman Vontrap

Cipher13
Nov 7, 2000, 02:19 AM

Get a Yamaha FireWire drive... they are, without a doubt, the best.
I have a SCSI Yamaha, and its awesome - never a prob, does everything I want it to, easily.

Cipher13

jbr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2000, 09:44 AM

I'm using a Sony Spressa (firewire) 10-4-32 (their newer version is faster) with Toast 4.1.1 (full version) and love it. Haven't had any problems at all. I always burn to Sony discs, data, audio and bootable discs.

jbr

jeffnudi
Nov 8, 2000, 01:22 AM

I bought a Yamaha CRW8824FXZ (Firewire) a week ago. No problems, no coasters. Toast seems to get trashed a lot here, but I have not had a problem. I have not recorded any music, but a lot of data/photos/movies.

I would recommend it to anyone considering a CD/RW.

Cipher13
Nov 8, 2000, 01:36 AM

Jeffnudi, are you running the OEM version of Toast? If so get the Deluxe version.
BTW, this should be in Peripherals...

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 11-08-2000).]

jeffnudi
Nov 8, 2000, 02:16 PM

Cipher13

Yes, OEM version that came with the CD/RW. I was planning to buy something else, but based on all of the discussion about Toast and CDMaster that has been going on, I thought I would wait a while before doing anything. What advantages are there to Deluxe?

Lunchbox
Nov 8, 2000, 09:42 PM

What's the best CD Burning software out there. I just got the Yamaha 8x8x24 firewire burner and it RULES. Toast OEM seems fine to me so far, what's so much better about Deluxe and CDMaster?

Cipher13
Nov 9, 2000, 01:32 AM

I'm not exactly sure about the advantages of Toast Deluxe, as I didn't use OEM for long, but I believe it has more options and capabilities, as well as being a lot more stable.
I was plagued with problems with Toast OEM (versions 3.57-4.1), then got 4 Deluxe, and all those problems just disappeared!
Now works flawlessly...
I'll see if I can find a detailed comparison, and post it.
It would be presumptuous of me to say what the best is, seeing as I have only used Toast... simply because, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Toast Deluxe works brilliantly for me, and does everything I want, the way I want it to...

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 11-09-2000).]

marusin
Senior User
Nov 10, 2000, 05:06 PM

Do not pass go, get a Yamaha Firewire CD burner.. I personally have the 8x8x24 (the 16x came out right after I bought mine).. I had a QPS that I was lucky enough to exchange since it didn't work...

The drive was $329 at Outpost.com and I have not burned a coaster (with over 50 cds burned)... Check the offical page at http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...0007CRW8824FXZ

-Mike

P.S. I burn data with the OEM version of Toast with no problems... I burn audio (which is my main use for this drive) with Adaptec Jam (which was a little pricey, but for what I use it for is fantastic)... I trade a lot of Concerts and Jam allows me to burn Red-Book Audio with zero gaps.. Alot of bands use Jam to create their master cds that they send for pressing... Good stuph!

[This message has been edited by marusin (edited 11-10-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules