Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > My epson stylus 760 is going off my balcony. 14floors!

My epson stylus 760 is going off my balcony. 14floors!
Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2000, 07:22 PM

I am going to do this and will video tape.
But before I do I need some info on a new one. Under$200. Must work with Photoshop on a G4 mp 450. any suggestions are appreciated.
Later
Chuck

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2000, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Chuck_star:
I am going to do this and will video tape.
But before I do I need some info on a new one. Under$200. Must work with Photoshop on a G4 mp 450. any suggestions are appreciated.
as far as filming the toss goes, how many cameras are you going to use? if you've got two cameras, you could film from the balcony AND from the ground below! put it all together in imovie and voila, something to send to epson tech support.

-r.

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2000, 07:31 PM

Chuck... YES.....

Do it! It would be AWESOME!

Then go buy any HP Deskjet

------------------
PC's are popular... MAC's Rule!
Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

Chuck_star  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2000, 10:49 PM

I've only got one DV. I will film from above and turn it into a Quicktime movie for anyone else who has experienced the Epson curse. But first I need to know (GOOD) first hand experiences with other printers. Needs to work with photoshop on a G4.
Later
Chuck

andi*pandi
Dec 1, 2000, 01:29 PM

well, with only one camera you still can get some neat juxtaposition:

like, go and put a duct tape x on the sidewalk, film that, then pan to the top of the building, with someone waving, to get a sense of distance... then film watching it drop... cut to the smithereens...

wow. it'll be cool. Post the movie when it's done! I have a 740 I'm almost ready to chuck too!

denim
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2000, 05:43 PM

You might want to send a copy to Letterman. He (used to?) do this with fruit.

I have an Epson Color Stylus 600, and it's not given me any trouble yet. Maybe that's because I still have a usable HP DW 680C in a box, and it knows I'll whip it out if necessary?

Oh, if you have any friends in the area with DV, you might have them help, such as by keeping people from walking under the falling printer and filming it. Watch out for shrapnel!

[This message has been edited by denim (edited 12-01-2000).]
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

jeffnudi
Dec 2, 2000, 03:47 PM

If you are near St. louis, I can provide second camera.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2000, 04:20 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing the film as well. Maybe we could have a double drop. I have an old Epson Stylus Color 800 that needs to be put out of its misery. As for good sub-$200 printers try the HP 935C. I have one and I love it. Quiet, fast, and much better print quality in all modes. I also have an HP 1220C/PS which I love. If I ever have to work with an epson inkjet again it will be too soon

------------------
"life is pain, Highness, anyone who tells you different is selling something."--The Man in Black from The Princess Bride
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

kaceygones
Senior User
Dec 10, 2000, 01:48 PM

Sorry, my only printer is an Epson, too. I can't offer advice on another printer, but since everyone is more interested in seeing your printer thrown off the balcony, maybe you should see about borrowing or renting another camera for this one-time movie thriller.

and, andi*pandi, what's wrong with your 740? If you're serious about replacing it, I might be interested. I bid online at eBay for two but, was only successful on one. I need one more to give my daughters for Christmas to use with their IIci's.

Good Luck finding a new printer, Chuck.
kaceygones

[This message has been edited by kaceygones (edited 12-10-2000).]

andi*pandi
Dec 12, 2000, 11:44 AM

Kacey:

"It's dead, Jim."

it's got the dreaded whirr bang syndrome. Possibly it could be fixed, possibly not...

to go with a iicx, i'd recommend getting a stylewriter--sure you can find a good one on ebay!

kaceygones
Senior User
Dec 12, 2000, 03:37 PM

Thanks, andi!

I contacted the Seller for the SC 740 that I bid on and is sending me two.
So, problem solved. They're for my daughters for Christmas and they
wanted color to do homework projects and reports and other silly stuff.

Hope you can fix yours...
kacey

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2000, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Chuck_star:
But first I need to know (GOOD) first hand experiences with other printers.
I second David's HP 935c suggestion. I have the slightly older HP930 which is basically the same as Dave's 935c but without the extra Mac software and cover accent. This is one EXCELLENT printer. 2400dpi photo, fast clean text, compact folding trays, and very quiet print mechanism. If you're used to the Epson piezo whine - you'll think the HP shut off after loading the paper! I also sprang for the optional duplex module (auto 2 sided print). Great way to save paper (and a few trees). You can activate it on the fly from the print preview. I've used the 930c on my iMacDV and new iMacDV SE with AppleWorks, PhotoDeluxe, and Graphics Converter. Since you specifically mention photoshop printing, I would only stick with the 2400dpi HP series (900s, 1000s, etc). But for the money - definitely the HP935c. Check it out at a Staples or Circuit City first to be sure. Good luck.........joe

andi*pandi
Dec 21, 2000, 05:09 PM

so have you done it yet?

I fixed mine. <phew> so I don't have to shop yet. Yay!

JDRaven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2000, 09:59 PM

Hey...

I have a Photo 750, and it works very well. I have also experienced a PhotoEX or 1250 (don't remember which) working without a flaw on a G4.

OTH, the SP750 I have now is the third replacement for my original SP700, which mysteriously bit the dust after 8 months of daily use. The first replacement had lots of trouble, and the one that replaced that one had a bad parallel port (and I have an iMac). At that point, they no longer made the 700, and I had to settle for getting the next model up. Waaah. Actually, I have two of these 750's, and they both work great - right now. Gimme 8 months and then we'll talk.

JDRaven

Blencathra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2000, 06:36 PM

Hi all,

What's wrong with Epson printers? I have used an old Stylus Colour, a Stylus colour 800 and have recently brought a Stylus Photo 1270. Have had no problems with any of them and the quality has been excellent - the latest 1270 is absolutely brilliant - true A3+, photo quality and at a very affordable price.

Why look any further?

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2001, 05:14 AM

Don't sell yourself short on printers. Get an Epson in the 8xx series. If you are so inclined get something in that series that has Ethernet. Appletalk over Ethernet printers are so much nicer to deal with than serial or USB. Likewise, I get the impression that you are doing some photo proof work and anything in the 8xx series would serve you better than anything offered in the 7xx series.

Paul S
Senior User
Jan 2, 2001, 11:12 AM

I have a Stylus Photo 870 and it is easily the most reliable printer I have ever owned. The output is outstanding and the printer has never given me a moments grief.

Hlecter
Jan 3, 2001, 01:32 PM

Hi guys, I am completely lost ...
I was going to buy an Epson printer, but now I am having second thoughts.
What's causing the problem(s) ?

Chuck_star  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2001, 11:15 PM

My problems are specific to 760 color
1.Software conflicts with remote access.
2.Banding lines when printing photos.
3.Needs a full color cartrige to print blk/wht text.
And no I haven't tossed it yet. I still need a new printer.
Later
Chuck

Hlecter
Jan 4, 2001, 03:21 AM

Thanks Chuck_star...
Anyone experience with the Canon BJC series (3000, 6200 or > )?

Simon C. Leemann
Jan 4, 2001, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Hlecter:
Hi guys, I am completely lost ...
I was going to buy an Epson printer, but now I am having second thoughts.
What's causing the problem(s) ?
Get a HP. I've had StyleWriters, Epsons and HPs. But now I only use my HP930C and that little thing rocks. It's inexpensive, fast, and makes wonderful images.

scl

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2001, 12:16 AM

I'm not much on HP inkjets, mostly because they have a very poorly implemented paper path design. Putting paper in the front and then having the output come out in nearly the same place requires a complete 180 of the paper. This precludes the use of cardstock or other material heavier than about 30lb. I also feel that they are gadgety in nature and the less gadgets you have, the fewer there are to break. From an industrial design perpspective, they are very ugly; again pointing back to being gadgety.

I will admit that Epson's drivers on Macs aren't that stellar, but they aren't the worst that I've seen. My biggest complaint is a lack of support for desktop printers. I can't speak on issues with remote access. In fact, I have never had any issues with their drivers and remote access, so without more specific data I'm kind of lost.

Bands accross any print are usually a product of dirty heads. Dirty heads happen to all ink jets at some time or another. A good cleaning should solve the problem. If a cleaning cycle doesn't work the first time, then try it again.

As far as the requirement for color ink to print in black, that would be a firmware issue and should be something that we as consumers should mention to Epson so they can correct it in their next series of printers.

[This message has been edited by jeromep (edited 01-04-2001).]

joe
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2001, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by Simon C. Leemann:
Get a HP. I've had StyleWriters, Epsons and HPs. But now I only use my HP930C and that little thing rocks. It's inexpensive, fast, and makes wonderful images.

scl

Ditto!!! My HP930c is the most reliable and trouble free printer I've ever used - including those at work. Silly little gadgets like folding trays and the optional duplex (driver controled auto 2-sided printing) make this the most useful and practical all around printer you can buy for home use. And the usual tech stuff like 2400dpi * 1200dpi photo print (2.9 million dots per square inch), laser sharp text, 9ppm, and nearly silent operation are nice features. I've had mine almost a year and my only regret is that I didn't wait for the Mac-specific HP935c model. It's really the same as the 930 and 932 except it comes with extra Mac software besides the drivers.........joe

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2001, 11:51 PM

Actually, I have had many epson printers and none of them have really had any problems except for the 7-- series. 860 works really well.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Lesliev
Jan 7, 2001, 11:57 AM

LEXMARK Z52

Out of the 4 printers I have had (2HP and 2 Epson) It is by far the superior in every respect. High quality construction, amazing quality printing. Page alignment is so good you can print a page reload the page you just printed and print it again and will see no blurring from being printed twice!! It looks awesome sitting on my desk too! oh yeah it is WICKED FAST!! 15 ppm

Forum Links
Forum Rules