Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't change password in other account

Can't change password in other account
madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2005, 06:58 AM

I am trying to change the password of another user account but every time I try it I get a message stating, "The keychain password for this user cannot be changed to the new account password. The old keychain password remains in effect. The user can change their keychain password in the keychain access application in the utilities folder."

I don't understand this as my main account password is for me, admin, and I just want to change the childrens account password.

Dr. Smoke
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2005, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by madgreek:
"The keychain password for this user cannot be changed to the new account password. The old keychain password remains in effect. The user can change their keychain password in the keychain access application in the utilities folder."
I believe this message is informational and a result of changing the login password on their accounts from your Admin account. You should be able to change their account password, but every user account also has a keychain and the default password for the keychain is the login password when the account is created.

You would have to log in to the accounts whose login passwords you changed and change their keychain passwords to the same password using Keychain Access, which is located in the Applications > Utilities folder.
Good Luck!

Dr. Smoke
Author: Troubleshooting Mac OS X

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2005, 11:23 PM

Ahhhh, that makes sense. I tried it and all is well now. Thanks for the advice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules