Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iomega SuperDVD Burner Help

iomega SuperDVD Burner Help
TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2005, 12:53 AM

I went a bought an iomega burner the other day, as the price was right. However, I have run into a problem that I can't seem to figure out. It is rated for DVD+RW discs, but every time I try to use one it rejects it as unuseable. Also, I tried to backup data from my PB to it and have found that it is not a supproted drive. The PB can read from it fine, but wont burn to it. Anyone run into this; this being the drive not recognizing +RW discs. The software that came with the drive has a backup feature so I can actually burn backups to the external, but I'd like to do so to +RW disks so that I can either recycle or erase them over time. I will return the +RW's and try dome -RW's to see if that is the problem.TIA

SWFan
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2005, 05:19 PM

Regarding not working with the +RW discs, you may want to try a different brand, especially if you bought some generic brand like CompUSA's inhouse brand. Try Verbatim or Memorex. I've never had a problem with either of those brands.

The problem you are discovering on actually burning is that some of the OS X built-in burn functions like iPhoto, iDVD, Finder, etc. may not support external Firewire burning at all, or only for certain drives.

Thats why it may be necessary for you to buy Roxio's Toast Titanium 6 which supports darn near everything out there.

TAZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2005, 09:27 PM

I bought Memorex +RW and +R and it dies with both. I may try a different brand to see what happens. Its a bummer about OSX not supporting external burners, but the Discribe software that came with the burner lets me do my data back-ups fine for now. I have Popcorn for backing up my DVD's so I am fine for a while. I may splurge and get Toast Ti, but that is a thing for next budget cycle.

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2005, 11:19 PM

Where you want to go is...

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso

Just about every possible question for drive compatibility has been answered there.

And you'll probably need this patch to enable native burn support in OS X with the drive...
http://www.patchburn.de/download.html
( Last edited by hudson1; Feb 12, 2005 at 11:25 PM. )

jeffnudi
Feb 13, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by TAZ:
I went a bought an iomega burner the other day, as the price was right. However, I have run into a problem that I can't seem to figure out. It is rated for DVD+RW discs, but every time I try to use one it rejects it as unuseable. Also, I tried to backup data from my PB to it and have found that it is not a supproted drive. The PB can read from it fine, but wont burn to it. Anyone run into this; this being the drive not recognizing +RW discs. The software that came with the drive has a backup feature so I can actually burn backups to the external, but I'd like to do so to +RW disks so that I can either recycle or erase them over time. I will return the +RW's and try dome -RW's to see if that is the problem.TIA
I may be way off here, certainly not an expert, but when I added a Pioneer A107 to my G4 AGP, I thought I read that Mac OS does not support burning to +R or +RW discs. Could that be the problem?

TAZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2005, 05:01 PM

No, youre not far off base. I thought that it was the Apple burners that didnt support, not OSX as a whole. It however appears that + anything may be out of the loop. Hudson's link did solve the other problem of apps, like Backup, not registering the drive at all. So, thanks, hudson1.

Forum Links
Forum Rules