Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Educational Discount & Apple Care in case of Destruction?

Educational Discount & Apple Care in case of Destruction?
kennedy
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 02:46 PM

The Educational Discount is once per year.
However, if you accidentally destroy your Mac such that you need to buy a new one, is there an exception to the once/year?

If you buy AppleCare for a machine but then destroy the machine and have to buy a new one, do you have to buy a new AppleCare for it? Or can you apply your unused AppleCare to the new computer?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 02:52 PM

I don't think there's an exception if you break your one computer, although I don't think Apple scrutinizes too much for online purchases. If you already registered your machine under your Applecare then I'm pretty sure you can't transfer it, but if you haven't registered it yet at all then you could cover the same machine, ie. if you have an Applecare warranty for a PB you could buy another PB and use the warranty for that if you havent registered it for the previous PB yet. Seems like your in a sticky situation, and I would call Apple and speak to a rep about this and see what they have to say about this.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Seems like your in a sticky situation...
That's just terrible!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 04:56 PM

Ohhh...crap. No pun intended, didn't think you were the same person. Sorry for the insensitivity .
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Ohhh...crap. No pun intended, didn't think you were the same person. Sorry for the insensitivity .
No problem... I thought your comment funny... even sticky as the stuff is.

jamito
Mar 23, 2005, 07:27 PM

i'm not sure what apple would say about transfering the apple care, but if it doesn't work out you can cancel it and get a pro-rated refund. details on how to get this are on the apple website or in terms and conditons that came with the apple care. Actually, here is the link, since i knew where it was - AppleCare Terms and Conditions
ibook 14", 600 mhz, 384mb ram
mbp 15", 2.2ghz SR C2D, 2 gb ram, 128vram, 20" ACD
powermac dc 2.3ghz, 2.5 gb ram, 20" ACD
3g 30gb ipod, 5g 60gb video ipod, 2g 4gb blue ipod nano, isight

tictactoe
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2005, 03:46 AM

The Apple Store I went to allowed me to use my educational discount twice within a 6 week period for 2 separate PB purchases. Granted, I was exchanging the 12" PB I bought 6 weeks ago for a 15" PB.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by kennedy:
The Educational Discount is once per year.
However, if you accidentally destroy your Mac such that you need to buy a new one, is there an exception to the once/year?

If you buy AppleCare for a machine but then destroy the machine and have to buy a new one, do you have to buy a new AppleCare for it? Or can you apply your unused AppleCare to the new computer?
From the Applecare Terms And Conditions:

8. Cancellation

You may cancel this Plan at any time for any reason. If you decide to cancel either call Apple at the telephone number provided in the AppleCare Quick Reference Guide, or, send written notice with your Plan Agreement Number to AppleCare Administration, P.O. Box 149125, Austin, TX 78714-9125, United States of America. Your notice must be accompanied by a copy of your proof of purchase of the Plan. Unless local law provides otherwise, if you cancel within thirty (30) days of your Plan�s purchase, or receipt of these Terms and Conditions, whichever occurs later, you will receive a full refund less the value of any service provided under the Plan; if you cancel more than thirty (30) days after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a pro rata refund, based on the percentage of unexpired time remaining on the Plan, of the Plan�s original purchase price, less (a) a cancellation fee of twenty-five ($25 USD) dollars or ten percent (10%) of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (b) the value of any service provided to you under the Plan. Unless applicable local law provides otherwise, Apple may cancel this Plan if service parts for the Covered Equipment become unavailable, upon thirty (30) days�written notice. If Apple cancels this Plan, you will receive a pro-rata refund for the Plan�s unexpired term.
Agent69

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2005, 09:50 PM

FWIW: I've tried to purchase 2 machines in one year under the Education discount.

To use a quote from Wayne's world: "Denied!"
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules