Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The one PowerBook flaw...

The one PowerBook flaw...
Burke
Forum Regular
May 11, 2005, 03:05 PM

I love the PowerBook. LOVE it. Sure, its performance is not a G5-riffic, but it's still terrific...well, except one: the screen is too "wobbly." If only Apple could engineer the lid to be a bit heavier like the lid of the ThinkPad line, PowerBooks would be PERFECT.

Am I being unreasonable in wanting this? I know it would add a little to the weight, but surely I can't be the only one who thinks this would be the final gloss on a wonderful laptop.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2005, 03:08 PM

Depends on what size you're talking about. I own a rev c 17 and the lid is fine, though I did take it to the AppleStore to get it tightened because it was a bit wobbly when I first got it. Maybe yours just needs a tightening as well.
I've also spent a week doing a review of a rev d PB12 and its lid was quite sturdy.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Burke  (op)
Forum Regular
May 11, 2005, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Depends on what size you're talking about. I own a rev c 17 and the lid is fine, though I did take it to the AppleStore to get it tightened because it was a bit wobbly when I first got it. Maybe yours just needs a tightening as well.
I've also spent a week doing a review of a rev d PB12 and its lid was quite sturdy.
Sorry, I meant a Rev. D 15-inch. It's not wobbly as in loose hinges, but more like if I type too hard or the desk is bumped, and the screen wobbles from the motion. It happens on all laptops, but the magnesium lids of the ThinkPads are a little more stiff in the area.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Burke
IAm I being unreasonable in wanting this? I know it would add a little to the weight...
you may be used to carrying around extra weight behind you, but minimizing weight to maximize portability is a huge part of the engineering. perhaps the folks at radtech could come up with another unnecessary accessory that would reduce the wobbling. fwiw, i would not call your complaint 'the one flaw', i would say most owners have at the very least 2-3 things they would like different to make the powerbook perfect in their eyes. i do.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2005, 08:11 PM

I will agree that this is sometimes a bit more anoying. Oddly enuogh, I think the powerbook is the most asthetically pleasing notebook I've ever seen. And yet, many of my complaints are related to physical construction (which I feel is very good) and not performance. I'd like to see something similar to the OP, but I highly doubt it would cause much extra weight (maybe a few grams for some beafier hindges but that's about it). However, I'd love to see the next revision of powerbooks made out of something other than an easy to dent aluminum. Possibly composite or carbon fiber. But yeah everyone has their own quarks and wants something different.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

tictactoe
Forum Regular
May 11, 2005, 09:10 PM

I think the major flaw in PB's is the painfully slow CD-RW. I don't understand why it's not 48x.

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2005, 09:46 PM

i want my bloody 12" to haev a pcmcia slot
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

nuggetman
Forum Regular
May 12, 2005, 12:17 AM

i want my aluminum PB to not get so many fecking scratches, esp on the palmrest

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
May 12, 2005, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by nuggetman
i want my aluminum PB to not get so many fecking scratches, esp on the palmrest
Try taking off your watch when you type.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2005, 08:58 AM

I actually have some paint wearing after a year on my palmrests also, and I have never worn a watch while owning the powerbook. I have never worn anything around my wrists while owning a powerbook actually. Kinda have needed to get a new battery for my watch for the past 2 years.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2005, 11:38 AM

Those aren't scratches you are seeing on your palmrests. It's actually the aluminum corroding due to moisture from your palms. There's no way to get rid of them, they're only gonna get worse over time. I've had my 12" PB since November 2003, and while it started as a few specks on the right-side palm rest, it has turned into dozens of small pock-marks, with them also appearing on the left palm rest.

You'll most likely notice more spots on the right side if you're right-handed, and vice versa. I doubt anyone has ever gotten assistance from Apple regarding this issue, as they'd certainly claim it's purely cosmetic. But you can guarantee that if you try to sell your PB in the future, the 'corrosion' will certainly lower its value.

Some people's PBs seem to do this more than others, maybe it's due to the salt levels in your skin or sweat? My hands aren't particularly sweaty in general, but when you have your hands resting on warm/hot metal for a few hours, it's bound to happen.

Nivag
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by crazeazn
i want my bloody 12" to haev a pcmcia slot
i don't why it doesn't have one either. it would then make it the prefect road machine!

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nivag
i don't why it doesn't have one either. it would then make it the prefect road machine!
Clearly, you have never taken one apart.

It is absolutely jam-packed. I have no idea where anybody could manage to fit a PCMCIA slot in that thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules