Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Intel Powermac Slashdot Article

Intel Powermac Slashdot Article
real
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2005, 12:47 AM

With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2005, 01:32 AM

That's good news. Much better than the alternative: OS X on Intel runs like a turtle in headwind.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

ajbaker
Jul 14, 2005, 09:40 AM

Indeed, that's great news. I have no idea what the source of the article is, and Apple Insider have published a similar story.

However, while the articles start well they soon digress into measuring performance by the speed of which web pages appear. While I have always found Windows (IE or Firefox) quicker in this respect, I wasn't aware you could attribute that aspect down to the processor!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 14, 2005, 01:27 PM

I guess you didn't read the Slashdot: that AppleInsider article is the source.

tooki

real  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2005, 03:49 PM

It seems like good news we shall see.

I hoep it means good news
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2005, 11:45 PM

No actual specs, just spoken reports of "it's fast." I want figures please. Cool though.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 04:21 AM

I'd like to see a test against the G5 optimized Firefox builds. A generic 586 (-march=i586) build in GCC is pretty decently optimized, a 686 (-march=i686) build even moreso, especially on a P4. A generic PowerPC build (-mcpu=powerpc) is quite a bit different from a G5 (-mcpu=G5) or G4 (-mcpu=7400) optimized one. A Fibonacci calculator I found performs about one and a half times faster with just using -mcpu=powerpc.

This is a nice side effect of switching over to Intel chips in the future. There's at least ten times the work being done in the x86 realm than the PowerPC realm in the GCC suite. The PowerPC development is done mostly by Apple and IBM with PowerPC Linux distributions doing some work as well. On the x86 side you've got...everyone else.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2005, 04:49 AM

I wonder if we'll find that Mac OS X spanks the pants off Windows on the same hardware ? That alone would win a fair few converts....

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2005, 04:52 AM

I wonder why people are so fixated on Intel processors in macs. All it means is you're going to have a much harder time trying to fudge up why they're worth the $800 more than similarly specced dells...

Plus I see it as a double edged sword: Celeron Ms with Integrated graphics in iBooks, people?
Aloha

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2005, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Link
I wonder why people are so fixated on Intel processors in macs. All it means is you're going to have a much harder time trying to fudge up why they're worth the $800 more than similarly specced dells...

Plus I see it as a double edged sword: Celeron Ms with Integrated graphics in iBooks, people?
Well. . .

1) If the same program runs faster on OS X than Windows, that's worth some extra dosh;
2) I think we will be seeing some price reductions. You'll never see Macs competing with POS white box machines from Walmart, but I think there will be more price parity.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 15, 2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Link

Think of it this way...you paid 2000 for the PC...and 800 for the Mac...and they're combined into one good looking computer.

Or you could say you paid 2000 for the Mac and 800 for the PC.

There are dozens of reason why they should be worth 800 more. If you want more reasons, ask for more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules