Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs will not be "new" for long.

New iMacs will not be "new" for long.
Macintosh
Banned
Jul 22, 2001, 12:31 PM

As we all know Apple released some "hold over" iMacs at MWNY. These machines barely have the chance to make it into the consumer channel before they are EOL'd. What im saying is that the new imacs will not be "new" for long at all. Buy in September if you can wait. IMHO Apple will have new LCD iMacs in the channel at September to make it for the holliday buying season. Wait if yuo can,if not go enjoy a cdrw imac,old form,old colors,ewww. :o

gid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2001, 12:43 PM

Why would you say something like this? I think it's pretty clear that if Steve was going to release new iMacs in September then he wouldn't have released these one's at MWNY.

lee vieira
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2001, 12:57 PM

Well, there's two major buying periods to keep in mind here that Apple might want to meet:

Purchases by schools and colleges, and 'back-to-school' consumer purchases: have a product out by August, or forget about it

Holiday purchases by consumers: have a product out by November, or forget about it

Considering that the 700MHz iMacs are slated to arrive in a 5-7 weeks or so, i.e. early September, I don't have high hopes of an LCD iMac making the August school-buying season.

I mean, announce a new 700MHz iMac, have it finally arrive, then immediately EOL it? That makes zero sense.

I think the new iMac rev was done because Steve knew he couldn't get LCD iMacs out in time to make the school/back-to-school buying season, but he wanted to make what iMacs he had more attractive to those buyers.

So what I'm hoping for is that they get them out in time for the holiday buying period, i.e. November.

If they don't, then we'll have to wait until MWSF or later, and that'll kinda suck.

--lee

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: lee vieira ]

GraphiteBoi
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2001, 01:13 PM

ok, I don't want to hear all this "LCD iMacs are coming out" crap unless someone has some proof of when, not specualtion like last time.....
i Think, therefore iMac.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2001, 02:49 PM

I just hope they don't overproduce. The sight of unsold iMacs is depressing
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

Macintosh  (op)
Banned
Jul 22, 2001, 02:58 PM

So what I'm hoping for is that they get them out in time for the holiday buying period, i.e. November.

I think that is the plan. The ones released at MWNY are just for now, and maybe catch the last of the back to school crowd. Then in end of September release the LCD iMacs and VOILA! LCD iMacs for Christmas buying season. Isnt this clear to everyone?

<NoName>
Jul 22, 2001, 05:40 PM

Guys Isn't it obvious that we have two more Apple events this year alone, assuming even that they do not announce the flat in October or Novermber for the holidays.

Apple clearly seems to be moving away from BIG announcements twice a year.

They did the Titanium in January
Feb - Reved iMacs at MW Tokyo
May - iBook
July - Quicksilver and reved iMacs

We still have Seybold for servers (note they did not rev these) and MacWorld Paris for iMacs, or better yet flat panels in October at a special event to really screw our anticipation up.

Obviously Apple did not want to screw up education sales during back to school with product they could not deliver in August for labs to be setup, etc.

Most students in college will go for the iBook or Titanium anyway, the G4 sells to College labs, and the iMac to K-12 (and now they have faster iMacs but able to deliver in time for school).

Come Paris we will see a $1399 flat panel that is loaded with 10.1 and ready for holiday sales.

Steve did the mature thing any good CEO would do - he waited until supply and cost would allow. "Economics" in this case is not jacking with back to school sales right when Apple has recaptured the lead from DELL.

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2001, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Macintosh:
<STRONG>So what I'm hoping for is that they get them out in time for the holiday buying period, i.e. November.

I think that is the plan. The ones released at MWNY are just for now, and maybe catch the last of the back to school crowd. Then in end of September release the LCD iMacs and VOILA! LCD iMacs for Christmas buying season. Isnt this clear to everyone? </STRONG>
No, it is not clear. If the new iMacs are just hitting the channel in September they won't replace them in a month. I speculate that new iMacs will not appear till MWSF and that flat panel iMacs will not appear before MWNY 2002.

The schools have their own version of iMac. It is a 500MHz G3 with a standard CD-ROM and the price is something like $750.

Unless someone comes up with a secret video of Steve saying otherwise I think this is how it will go. Apple likes to claim to be first at various things (don't we all) but they are at heart a conservatively run company. Things are going well now. There is no need to bet the company on a risky product release. A flat panel iMac requires low cost LCDs and those won't be available soon.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2001, 08:46 PM

I thought all the folks speculating about LCD iMacs before MWNY werw whacked. I thought it was clear that the price point wasn't there for LCD. But you never know, right?

But now, after MWNY, when Apple has announced their lineup and it doesn't contain LCD iMacs, people are still predicting LCD iMacs this year. Come on.

Now that MWNY has come and gone, I will say the same thing about LCD iMacs as I did about dual-processor PowerBooks... if Apple releases it this year I will eat my shoe!

JLannoo
Jul 22, 2001, 10:49 PM

I have not been on this board a super long time...but it has been several months. So many people are always saying "hold off for a couple months"
LOL at one point you have to buy the damn thing or you will never have one.
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot
G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro
Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS

Nitzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2001, 12:25 AM

Here's my crazy conspiracy theory.

LCD iMacs are coming. What's more they were already announced... as the elusive 700 Mhz iMac.

I mean why in the world did they come out with Snow iMacs again??? I say it's because they had a warehouse full of the snow cases sitting around that they wanted try to get rid of before the LCD iMacs come out. Did you notice the way the big Steve just completely glossed over the 700 Mhz model. There's more to it. I can feel it.

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: Nitzer ]

Macintosh  (op)
Banned
Jul 23, 2001, 01:00 AM

Nitzer

posted 07-23-2001 12:25 AM

LCD iMacs are coming. What's more they were already announced... as the elusive 700 Mhz iMac.

I mean why in the world did they come out with Snow iMacs again??? I say it's because they had a
warehouse full of the snow cases sitting around that they wanted try to get rid of before the LCD iMacs
come out. Did you notice the way the big Steve just completely glossed over the 700 Mhz model. There's
more to it. I can feel it.

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: Nitzer

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2001, 01:52 AM

Folks forget the so called flatpannel iMacs.

The e conomy is not suited for it and why mess around with the classic imac&gt; the new iterations are the results of three years of adjustments and refinements.

All in one, No fan, And really estetically sweet.

I'd say even if ther is a flat pannel iMac in the future, I hope they keep in the the same enclosure,,

sam

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2001, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by ironknee:
<STRONG>Folks forget the so called flatpannel iMacs.

The e conomy is not suited for it and why mess around with the classic imac&gt; the new iterations are the results of three years of adjustments and refinements.

All in one, No fan, And really estetically sweet.

I'd say even if ther is a flat pannel iMac in the future, I hope they keep in the the same enclosure,,

sam</STRONG>
I agree. The current iMac is a great design which is completely paid for. Apple can keep it as a low end model for a long time, just tweaking the internals as different parts become available to favor more cost savings. Also, the iMac is probably one of the most recognized computers in the world. Why in the world would Apple discontinue a valuable brand for which they have already paid all the engineering costs? That would be foolish. It may not be attractive to the posters on this board who always are lusting after the latest and greatest but the iMac is a solid, reliable, well regarded machine with a good set of features for the price asked.

Even after the flat panel version comes out I think they will keep the current form for quite a while.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

rogerkylin
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2001, 08:40 AM

A not-so-old wise man once told me.."Buy a new computer when you REALLY NEED one. If you buy it before then, you will ALWAYS wish you had waited a few months. If you do wait until the need was there, you'll know you couldn't have waited.

It also helps not to check the specs of new machines for a while

<SPY>
Jul 23, 2001, 08:51 AM

New iMacs coming in Septemebr.

Apple couldn't get enough slot loading DVD/CD-RW drives in time.

That's why you've got the Powerbook promo now.

If you want to see the next iMac...look at Powerbook and add DVD/CD-RW

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2001, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by neutrino23:
<STRONG>

Why in the world would Apple discontinue a valuable brand for which they have already paid all the engineering costs?
</STRONG>
Because sales of the iMac are flat.
Because most new users are looking for larger than a 13.8" mediocre screen.
Because current iMac owners will not upgrade for a mere speed bump.

Yes, the brand is entrenched in our culture...but things evolve and improve. I'm hopeful for a new design (LCD or not) before the end of the year.

M�lum
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2001, 12:00 PM

I continue to think that apple shouldn't introduce new iMacs at all.

They should keep the current iMac (with minor improvements and reduced price) and give us a new consumer product.

rogerkylin
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2001, 12:16 PM

Spy:

I don't know about everyone else on these boards, but after all of the unregistered users making promises about 10.1, flat-screen imacs and totally new g4's at 1+ GHz, I'm pretty tired of unaccountable speculation...give me a few weeks.

foobars
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2001, 12:18 PM

Come on guys. Apple didn't release an LCD iMac because they're just too expensive. The math just doesn't work. Now, LCD prices are going up even more just like Fred Anderson predicted in the financal report and you think Apples going to make thier move right after flooding the channel with a new system?

The time to relese a new iMac was 5 months ago. Apple missed it and now the'll have to ride this one home until the LCD market gets cheap. January MAYBE.

steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2001, 06:13 PM

I think Apple should keep the current form iMac as a low end model and the flat panel iMac as a higher end model. The low end should be improved by the use of a 14 inch viewable trinitron tube(which should have been done right now) and hopefully an all black model. Price=$999

The higher end model would be the 15 inch LCD model for $1399.

That would be it. They should also swap the ATI graphics for Nvidia at 16 Mb for each model. Simple, sweet, good deals for both. They simply MUST improve the CRT on the base iMac though, its gotta be a flat screen CRT with 14 inch viewable area. Flood Apple with this request if you agree with me................................................ ...............................

<hi>
Jul 24, 2001, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by Macintosh:
<STRONG>Nitzer

posted 07-23-2001 12:25 AM

I mean why in the world did they come out with Snow iMacs again??? I say it's because they had a
warehouse full of the snow cases sitting around that they wanted try to get rid of before the LCD iMacs
come out. Did you notice the way the big Steve just completely glossed over the 700 Mhz model. There's
more to it. I can feel it.

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: Nitzer

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
</STRONG>
He's right,we'll never even see the snow iMac.
They put up the price (or dropped it, whatever) to let us get used to $999 for low end model. I believe that the model was just not ready because there are not enough slot loading DVD-CDR combo drives, (if any).

Why would they not even give the option for a DVD drive? Because they are waiting for combo drives. :o

GraphiteBoi
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2001, 09:48 AM

I'm sick of games....
i Think, therefore iMac.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2001, 11:06 AM

Why would they not even give the option for a DVD drive? Because they are waiting for combo drives.
There is nothing mysterious or radical about the upcoming 700MHz model. Apple and the resellers are already taking preorders for it. It will not be a new form factor. It will not have an LCD. It will not have a combo drive.

If it WERE going to have a combo drive, Apple would have announced that and said that was why they weren't shipping yet. It would be a big sales incentive for the 700MHz model.

The 500 and 600 models are already in stock at resellers and I'm betting the 700 will be in stock earlier than Apple estimated.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2001, 01:31 PM

MOSR sometimes comes through. You can also find the job by selecting Job Opportunities on Apple's main page, then Job Search and entering "all-in-one" which gets you to this one listing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Product Design Lead
Req. ID: 1695596

This position will lead a mechanical development effort for Apple's next generation All-in-One products. Products will be designed by Apple and deployed at Asian O.E.M.'s. Responsibilities include system-level architecture, collaboration with Apple ID, design/material/process development, coordination of detail design & documentation and successful on-site transfer to high-volume manufacturing. Areas of mastery should include some or all of mechanisms, materials, heat transfer, SPC, injection molding and metal part design. International travel, exceptional written and verbal communciation skills, grace under pressure and a positive attitude are mandatory. Possible direct management of engineers, depending on experience.

BSME + 12 years experience or MSME + 10 years experience. Successful track record of high volume, sophisticated design and high visibility products. Computer industry experience not required (or even preferred), serious consideration will be given to qualified candidates from medical, consumer electronics, automotive, aerospace and other fields with relevant technology and development models.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes me wonder what happened to the previous occupant of that position! Could Apple have failed to bring a new iMac to market on time because the design ran into major production problems? I don't really know if that would be good or bad news for new iMacs soon.

[ 07-24-2001: Message edited by: The Ancient One ]
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

hshafez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2001, 10:12 PM

For gods sake what the hell is wrong with you guys

The current imac is excellent. There is no other computer company that has anything with its elegance of design with similar specs and price.

Get real we DONT need an LCD imac.

mikerally
Senior User
Jul 25, 2001, 06:36 AM

The new iMacs at Macworld New York, aren't new AT ALL.

They're the same iMacs released in Macworld Tokyo and with double the base RAM and repackaged in new cases.

Why the comeback of the Snow model? Someone made a point on these boards that Blue Dalmation and Flower Power iMacs are basically the Snow models with repainted cases. So essentially the Snow model that has made a comeback is infact the ex Blue Dalmation/Flower Power iMac case, just not painted.

The only thing NEW about the iMac, was that there was a newer more expensive 700Mhz Model with a 60GB HD. All the other iMacs are the same price and spec with just double the RAM/different case options.

The 500Mhz and 600Mhz Models are available immediately. So okay, we will have to wait a while for the new model to come, Apple are essentially waiting for the 700Mhz processors (everything else is the same and easy to get hold of). I expect the new machine to be available in not too long a time.

Has anybody noticed how the new line shares ALL the same components? You can basically mix and match ANY part, be it the case, RAM, HD processor etc.

Basically Apple is only producing ONE motherboard out of the factory, and only THREE different cases, the rest are off the shelf components.

The reality is, the new 500 or 600 iMacs you are buying now may have been manufactured months ago, and they are basically being repackaged. The same could be even said about the 700, surplus of iMac motherboards anyone???

The iMac looks very much on it's way out.

rogerkylin
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2001, 08:39 AM

How long does it take to design a case, or whatever the person to be hired for the apple job would be doing?

My point is could this person really be designed a new all-in-one that would debut at MWSF...or something in a year or so?

Treebeard
Jul 25, 2001, 10:25 AM

Apple's "digital lifestyle" promotions run out on October 14, 2001.

Take it for what it's worth. But that's the only real info anyone has. All else speculation, wishful thinking, and BS.

Maybe it's a new iMac, but more likely it will be a sweetened promotion to kick in for the holiday buying season. Or maybe a price drop. Or both.

No new iMacs until MWSF at least.

Personally, I think if Apple's basing their strategy on waiting for the market to improve by the end of the year, they'll be screwed. The market will not improve by Q1 2002. By then we'll have slid deeper into a full blown recession. We're at 0% growth right now, and have been since January.

Lucent just laid off 20,000 employees. That's over 40,000 just at that company since January. And no telecom companies are hiring. There's gonna be a lot of engineers looking for work, putting off purchases. Multiply that by a few hundred, and you get a sense of what is probably looming ahead. This Xmas will be the worst one for retailers in a long time.

Anyway, I've always felt that Apple should have gone with a flat 17" G4. And released it at MWT. I probably would have bought one. But Steve really wants an LCD iMac.
Hoom hom hmmmmmmmmmmm...

pliny
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2001, 11:07 AM

i think it's pretty clear that by the holiday season apple will have brought out a revised imac with an LCD and a firewire penis port allowing users to insert at will and will be selling them for $5. given the state of the e-conomy i don't see how else they can turn a profit, unless they keep selling the good machines they have. i really don't.
i look in your general direction

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2001, 01:04 PM

This is what the idiots at Go2mac had to say: http://www.go2mac.com/story.lasso?newsID=8089

"A source had an interview with Pascal Cagny, Apple's boss for Europe, who unofficially confirmed that the new LCD iMac (Tessera) and revised TiBook (Onyx) will be announced in Paris during Apple Expo on 26-30 September 2001. The source promises more information after an interview with Cagney next week."

So in other words a month after the 700MHz SE iMac ships it will be replaced.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2001, 01:36 PM

This is what the idiots at Go2mac had to say:
And if Pascal Cagny, Apple's boss for Europe, "unofficially confirmed" LCD iMacs for Apple Expo Paris, I am quite certain that by the time I write this, Pascal Cagny is no longer Apple's boss for Europe.

After their disastrous predictions for MWNY (Where is the 14-inch Son of Pismo? Where are the colored iBooks? Where is the revved TiBook? Where is the LCD iMac?), you'd think Go2mac and the other rumor sites would lay low for a while.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2001, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by pliny:
<STRONG>a revised imac with an LCD and a firewire penis port allowing users to insert at will </STRONG>
OK, but what I want to know is will it be blue dalmatian or flower power?

steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2001, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by hshafez:
<STRONG>For gods sake what the hell is wrong with you guys

The current imac is excellent. There is no other computer company that has anything with its elegance of design with similar specs and price.

Get real we DONT need an LCD imac.</STRONG>
My reply: My niece owns an iMac and loves it. When I use it it feels like I'm using a toy or an incomplete computer. It just isn't enough of anything-not enough power, not enough screen size, not enough ways to move the screen around, not enough upgradeability, not enough color choices-BLACK.

The iMac NEEDS a new screen. I would be satisfied with a 14 inch viewable flat screen CRT like a trinitron or LG Electronics flatron. The curved tube in the iMac is passe.

The iMac needs another color choice for more serious users-they need an all black model NOW.

The iMac needs to have the graphics card upgradeable. No PCI slots? fine, but let me have the option of upgrading the damn graphics card in the future.

The iMac needs to start out with at least 600-700 mhz for the $999 model. 500 mhz is a joke today. Keep it a G3 if they want, but increase the mhz.

The iMac should have a base like a monitor-completely moveable to view at all angles.

If Apple came out with these simple, inexpensive changes (especially the all Black color), I would have run out and bought one. Now, I'm considering going over to the dark side. I'll give Apple ONE more chance to give us consumers something we really want. If they don't, I'm gone......................

Forum Links
Forum Rules