Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Flat Screen iMac

Flat Screen iMac (Page 9)
lee vieira
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2001, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
<STRONG>http://www.macminute.com/lib/imac_010711.shtml</STRONG>
Ooh, that would suck. 15" CRTs still? I guess it'd be ok if the spec bump was pretty big, and combo drives and GeForce 2 MX made it in on the upper models.

But Apple likes to do the disinformation thing before a show, so its hard to know what is really going to happen.

*crosses fingers*

--lee

GraphiteBoi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 04:25 PM

People should be smarter than that by now not to believe anything until the Keynote. I have my own ideas what will happen and some recent moves by apple make me believe we will have at least one flat screen iMac...but I guess we have to wait and see
i Think, therefore iMac.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2001, 06:33 PM

Got my Macworld magazine (UK) this morning, the following is quoted from David Fanning's column, 'Flat-Pack Mac' :-

"The entry level size will likely be a 15.1", as with the �449 Studio Display. A number of 15.1" displays are already as cheap as �350, and with Apple shifting them in the 100,000's, this price would come down still further....Far more mouth watering to many would be a widescreen 17.1" LCD iMac. It's a size of screen that has been around a few years, so shouldn't be too expensive."

15" LCD screens are an outside chance (in my opinion), but 17" widescreen LCD! The man is on drugs. (He also goes on about bundled or built in SoundSticks.

I am so glad the server hasn't decided to 'lose' this thread! (Apparently, all the missing threads are not deleted, but the server 'can't find' them . 9 pages now!

And yes I did just go mad on Smilies!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

GraphiteBoi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2001, 12:53 AM

as stated before, if one goes LCD, look for an iBook soze, maybe a 15" but definately not a 17" thats nuts
i Think, therefore iMac.

lee vieira
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2001, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by ajprice:
<STRONG>

15" LCD screens are an outside chance (in my opinion), but 17" widescreen LCD! The man is on drugs. (He also goes on about bundled or built in SoundSticks.

</STRONG>
Yup. Its amazing how some tech 'journalists' write the silliest stuff.

That magazine should know better.

--lee

captnfun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2001, 03:02 AM

Everybody's got ann opinion on the display on the new iMac, but I havent heard any discussion on the processor. Is it at all possible we might see an all G4 iMac? Maybe released like the iBook all versions of the new iMac are G4 400's? If not, when will Apple make the jump to an entirely G4 lineup?

Cobra
Jul 12, 2001, 06:40 AM

How about this.

G4 processors with the same crap screen!

Could happen.

But really, it would be catastrophic if Apple continues to have 15" CRT's in the entire line.

Cobra

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2001, 10:53 AM

[email protected]

Orriginally posted by [email protected]
<STRONG>
Just some info from a site someone emailed me...
four new iMac model numbers appeared in the Micro Center database yesterday -- M8490, M8582, M8492, and M8546 -- with the prices $1029, $1029, $1329, and $1329, respectively.

Micro Center ups there prices by $30, so the price would be $999 and $1299.

Now get you brains working on what you can get for those prices...
</STRONG>

I found this over in the PowerMac forum. I though all y'all might dig on it a bit more over here. Looks like one low-end model and one high-end model, each in two colors. Let the speculation continue!

Macintosh
Banned
Jul 12, 2001, 12:45 PM

People are torn in saying that they want a CRT model with loads more features or an LCD with less than adequit features.

Why cant Apple combine both of these to make one iMac LCD with a G4? The Cube was pretty low in price when it was EOL. I just think Apple is smarter than us and will make us all doubting Thomas'! Watch for the sweetest machine Apple has ever BUILT next week. I know I am. I will not get mad about the new iMac unless it is actually bad, and it will not be. Apple cant afford to release something terrible and Apple doesnt need me to tell them that.

Fred Anderson= Tells Jobs the limits.

Jobs= Tells Anderson he needs more.

Ives= Makes the most of every penny.

Riddler
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2001, 12:59 PM

After checking around the web today at the latest "new iMac" rumors I've seen two things of interest:

1. Micro Center's have four new iMac product codes: M8490, M8582, M8492, and M8546 which are priced at $999, $999, $1299, and $1299 respectively.

2. Intereactive week recons the new iMacs will have LCD's plus maybe a webcam and new external speakers.

I'm sure that the above product codes are the new iMac's going on past experience, the pricing is interesting and in my opinion rules out low end CRT based iMac's as the difference of only $300 is not great enough. So it looks like it is and ALL LCD range

The speculation regarding a Web Cam is also very interesting and is probably something Apple might do. With Broadband taking off in a big way some kind of Video phone software (iPhone anyone) would make an excellent addition to Apple's iX group of products, I would bet they would tie in instant messaging too as this has been rumored for a while.

Just my 2c.
Riddler

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz + MacPro 2.66 1900XT

macosx1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2001, 02:09 PM

I didn't care to read the 410 posts before mine so this may be repeated.

When Henry Ford discovered the wonders of the assembly line and mass production as a way to make lots of stuff cheap he made lots of money because he could sell his stuff cheaper than the competition.

I have no idea how accurate these numbers are but lets say Apple buys 1.5 mil 15" Flat Panels and 2 mil 15" CTRs. The flats are $400 and the CTRs are $300. If they were to buy 3.5 mil from the manufacturer and they get a discount for the huge numbers then the flats only cost $340. They won't make quite so much on the lone unit but in a new iMac they would save $60 for adding that extra speed boost. And I doubt many PowerMac owners buy 15" screens anymore.

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2001, 02:40 PM

Lolo from Paris wrote:

- 1 Special Edition model with LCD combo drive etc.

Why only Special Edition with LCD ? because it costs a lot, and Apple IMO needs to test the market, they need to know if people will follow them with LCD.
If they do that, it'll flop.

The PC LCD all-in-ones are rare and expensive precisely because their manufacturers follow this philosophy. They did it with USB, too, and that technology languished for a good two years. If the manufacturer isn't confident about a product, why should anyone else be? If the manufacturer hedges their bets by producing the model in limited quantities, they'll have to chintz on specs and/or jack the price up, reducing the appeal. It's a vicious circle.

If Apple introduces an LCD iMac, they should go balls-out and make all LCD iMacs. They can squeeze one model just under $1K as a loss leader, and make their money off the models priced in the $1200-$1600 range, which are the models that most people have bought anyway.

If the tablet is real (and I acknowledge that it's a pretty big if), it might be the answer for educational customers. AirPort + servers + PowerSchool = no need to have desktop machines all over the place. It's the logical step from the iBook, and Apple might be able to offer it inexpensively.

Besides, educational customers shouldn't pay retail (not even the "educational" retail) price for any significant purchases. They should be submitting bids. If the numbers I've heard reported are correct, Apple sold their iBook/AirPort/PowerSchool solution to the Philly school system for 40% of the price they would have paid at the Apple Store for Education.
Think about that.
James

"I grew up. Then I got better." - Sea Wasp

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2001, 02:49 PM

As history has shown, Apple doesn't feel it needs to test the market...I think Steve is the market ...and what he says goes. And has he ever been wrong?

GraphiteBoi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2001, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Nicko:
<STRONG>As history has shown, Apple doesn't feel it needs to test the market...I think Steve is the market ...and what he says goes. And has he ever been wrong? </STRONG>
2 words...The Cube
i Think, therefore iMac.

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2001, 03:05 PM

Note the there. That was obviously a joke.

Now, it looks like right after posting what I did above, I'm going to have to eat my words. As the Apple Turns, whose various little birds and Alpha-Bits and vegan entrail substitutes are remarkably accurate, is agreeing with MacMinute: The iMac will be more of the same old same old.

Maybe this whole tablet thing actually will happen. All these LCD rumors have to be going somewhere, right? Right?
James

"I grew up. Then I got better." - Sea Wasp

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2001, 03:25 PM

Remember the drawing and rumor of the flat screen iMac w/ the wireless pen-operated display? Well that display exists - sony just announced it today. Funny thing is sony says when steve jobs saw it "[he] was shocked". That's a big hint, guys.
http://it.asia1.com.sg/newsdaily/news003_20010712.html

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2001, 06:14 PM

This is the Panasonic version of an all in one LCD PC, the AVPC
http://panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/avpc/
http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...&ModelNo=CF-E1

CPU Intel Celeron Processor 400 MHz
Memory 64 MB (192 MB Max.) SDRAM
Video Memory 4 MB, SGRAM
LCD 15.0" (TFT) XGA, 262144 colors (1024 x 768 pixels)
Hard Disk Drive 6.4 GB
Floppy Disk Drive 720 KB (2DD)/1.44 MB (2HD), USB compatible
DVD-ROM Drive 6x DVD-ROM drive/32x CD-ROM Drive max. speed

$1999.95

The floppy drive is external, it has iBook-ish white/silver plastics (but don't let that make you think it looks nice!). I'll have to repeat this bit, a Celeron 400, 64Mb RAM and 4MB VRAM (no mention of a graphics card!)

It's things like this that make you question whether there will be an LCD iMac, especially at the $999 and $1299 prices. Going by this, and iMac LCD would have to be downgraded from the current specs, whoopie-frickin'-doo!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

www.insider.com
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2001, 06:51 PM

Forget the other opinions I know what is to come.

Do you want it?
History is the final judge of our deeds.

www.insider.com
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2001, 07:00 PM

iMac "Pearl"

� iMac 600 MHz G4
� 60GB Ultra ATA drive
� Combo DVD/CD-RW
� 56K internal modem
� Two USB ports
� Two FireWire ports
� Mac OS 10.1
� Oh yeah, 15-inch LCD
History is the final judge of our deeds.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2001, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by www.insider.com:
<STRONG>� iMac 600 MHz G4
� 60GB Ultra ATA drive
� Combo DVD/CD-RW
� 56K internal modem
� Two USB ports
� Two FireWire ports
� Mac OS 10.1
� Oh yeah, 15-inch LCD</STRONG>
Let me guess, your sources have confirmed that this will be $899.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2001, 07:11 PM

Time to admit defeat, Lee! From the Think Secret rumor site:

"The "dirt" on LCDs. It's interesting to note that supplies of Apple displays are unusually low, but we've been informed that this is due to Apple dumping them into education sales. In fact, one school district, we're told, made a significant Power Mac G4 purchase, and got new Apple 17-inch LCD monitors with them at under $200 each -- around 80% off MSRP. Perhaps LCDs can be sold by Apple at a much lower price than popularly believed?"

$999 15" LCD iMac? No problem!
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

<tj>
Jul 12, 2001, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by CubeWannaB:
<STRONG>Remember the drawing and rumor of the flat screen iMac w/ the wireless pen-operated display? Well that display exists - sony just announced it today. Funny thing is sony says when steve jobs saw it "[he] was shocked". That's a big hint, guys.
http://it.asia1.com.sg/newsdaily/news003_20010712.html</STRONG>
found the url - http://www.sony.co.jp/inpaku/sonydes.../section1.html - what do you think? - beaten to the chase?

lee vieira
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2001, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by The Ancient One:
<STRONG>Time to admit defeat, Lee! From the Think Secret rumor site:

"The "dirt" on LCDs. It's interesting to note that supplies of Apple displays are unusually low, but we've been informed that this is due to Apple dumping them into education sales. In fact, one school district, we're told, made a significant Power Mac G4 purchase, and got new Apple 17-inch LCD monitors with them at under $200 each -- around 80% off MSRP. Perhaps LCDs can be sold by Apple at a much lower price than popularly believed?"

$999 15" LCD iMac? No problem!</STRONG>
Uhh...you do know that its a combo sale, and the big margin on the PM G4 is what allows the LCD sale at that price, right?

When those 17" LCDs go out the door by themselves for under $200, then I'll 'admit defeat'

-----------------------------------

" 15" LCD iMac for $999 my ass. "

--lee

Macintosh
Banned
Jul 12, 2001, 09:56 PM

I really hope he does admit defeat!

Mandricard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2001, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by www.insider.com:
<STRONG>iMac "Pearl"

� iMac 600 MHz G4
� 60GB Ultra ATA drive
� Combo DVD/CD-RW
� 56K internal modem
� Two USB ports
� Two FireWire ports
� Mac OS 10.1
� Oh yeah, 15-inch LCD</STRONG>
I agree, actually, but I do not see this available immediately.

M

GraphiteBoi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2001, 12:36 PM

check out this link: http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories...784623,00.html

ZDNET claims that new iMacs will be flat screen across the board plus other alterations in features....
i Think, therefore iMac.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2001, 12:48 PM

From MacUser UK (link is on the front page):

MacUser sources have confirmed that Apple will not debut the eagerly anticipated flat-panel iMacs at Macworld Expo next week. Instead, the company will roll out faster iMacs in the current enclosure. Amid concerns that speed-bumped iMacs will not be met with great enthusiasm, Apple will also launch a series of rebates to spur sales.

Sources confirmed new iMacs announced next week will remain in their current form factor, and there will be three new models, with G3 processors in the range of 650-750MHz. Two of the configurations will be available immediately. Two new colours will also be announced, replacing the Blue Dalmatian and Flower Power designs announced earlier this year. It is also expected iMacs will now come standard with 128MB of memory to accommodate the minimum requirements for OS X, which is now shipping on all Mac models.

<Bongwater>
Jul 13, 2001, 12:53 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

There WILL be two iMacs at MacWorld Expo:

Classic iMacs with G3's up to 700
iMac G4 with LCD at 700

Bongwater

GraphiteBoi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2001, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Bongwater&gt;:
<STRONG>I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

iMac G4 with LCD at 700

Bongwater</STRONG>
There will not be a G4 iMac at MW...its as easy as that. If there are 2 different iMacs (which I doubt) the difference would be in form only (LCD or CRT)
i Think, therefore iMac.

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2001, 01:14 PM

MacUser has been on the money lately, so I would take this as the real thing...we will NOT see flat panel iMacs at MANY. The fact that a cutting edge company like Apple is still selling a computer with not only an awful tube, but with less than 14" of viewable area is disgusting. Apple has way too much talent than to do this. Anyone who goes to the keynote, please BOO Jobs when he announces this. As CEO of Apple he deserves it!
~Peace~

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2001, 01:20 PM

Man!!! You call yourself a Mac User and yet you feel it necesary to BOO the CEO of Apple? He has NO, I repeat Absolutly NO control over the current LCD prices. The fact that it remains at CRT doesn't mean it won't sell... If the prices of LCD's drop fairly soon expect one at Tokyo! Untill then SHUT UP! If you don't like the iMac... try this... DON'T BUY ONE!

Mac Guru

Macintosh
Banned
Jul 13, 2001, 01:54 PM

You all speak as if you know. I dont but neither do you guys. WATCH AND BE AMAZED COME THE 18th!

<No Fiat anymore>
Jul 13, 2001, 01:56 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

iMac G4 with LCD at 700

Bongwater
actually this really COULD make sense. if they can't get the price down far enough, why not release another one WITH a flatscreen? the cube's gone. new imac nicely fills out the gap the cube left. hey, there won't be any crt-imac in 8 months from now anyway. quadrant-strategie, here we come again

or maybe not? let's hope we see a really cool handheld. it makes me really mad to wait another couple of days. please steve, make it a great macworld!

GraphiteBoi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2001, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Macintosh:
<STRONG>You all speak as if you know. I dont but neither do you guys. WATCH AND BE AMAZED COME THE 18th! </STRONG>
I couldn't agree more....Apple has never failed to amaze people are totally blow away people's expectations...we will have to wait and see.....
i Think, therefore iMac.

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2001, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
<STRONG>Man!!! You call yourself a Mac User and yet you feel it necesary to BOO the CEO of Apple? He has NO, I repeat Absolutly NO control over the current LCD prices. The fact that it remains at CRT doesn't mean it won't sell... If the prices of LCD's drop fairly soon expect one at Tokyo! Untill then SHUT UP! If you don't like the iMac... try this... DON'T BUY ONE!

Mac Guru</STRONG>
You really need to calm down. I dont attack people here and I don't appreciate being attacked.

Sony has been offering an all in one consumer desktop now for some time, they even have one with a pen tablet that you can write on. Cost of LCD's? Sorry, I do not buy it. Apple has an enourmous investment in Samsung, even though Apple exercised it they still are entitled to very very good prices on LCD's.

Yes I do call myself a Mac User, I also call myself something else and that is Apple Shareholder, and I also call Apple something else and that is a business, and Steve Jobs is in charge of that business. If Apple does not release a revised iMac at Macworld it will hurt their share value and it will also show that Apple has not properly forecasted. There is no reason in hell that an inovative company like Apple who has the engineering talent to release a 1" thick Titanium Laptop and an 8" Cube without a fan should have a computer in the market in 2001 that has a 15" CRT Tube with less than 14" viewable area, and hasn't been refreshed in design in any way since the B&W G3 was in stores. As an Apple shareholder that is just unacceptable and I have a right to hold Steve Jobs accountable, because Jobs works for me...he works for the shareholders. Other people may disagree with me and that is fine all I am expressing is my opinion, you are entitled to your opinion as well Mac Guru, but please do not ever tell me to shut up again.
~Peace~

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2001, 03:09 PM

Well said, Bodhi. This should be a civil forum where everyone is free to opinions without unprovoked attacks.

At this juncture of the game, it's either go big or go home. If Apple has the balls to suggest that they're going after the other 95% of computer users, don't expect to do it by offering some speed bumped newly coloured 14" CRT. That's an insult to the not only loyal Mac users but to potential PC converts.

Originally posted by Bodhi:
<STRONG>

You really need to calm down. I dont attack people here and I don't appreciate being attacked.

Sony has been offering an all in one consumer desktop now for some time, they even have one with a pen tablet that you can write on. Cost of LCD's? Sorry, I do not buy it. Apple has an enourmous investment in Samsung, even though Apple exercised it they still are entitled to very very good prices on LCD's.

Yes I do call myself a Mac User, I also call myself something else and that is Apple Shareholder, and I also call Apple something else and that is a business, and Steve Jobs is in charge of that business. If Apple does not release a revised iMac at Macworld it will hurt their share value and it will also show that Apple has not properly forecasted. There is no reason in hell that an inovative company like Apple who has the engineering talent to release a 1" thick Titanium Laptop and an 8" Cube without a fan should have a computer in the market in 2001 that has a 15" CRT Tube with less than 14" viewable area, and hasn't been refreshed in design in any way since the B&W G3 was in stores. As an Apple shareholder that is just unacceptable and I have a right to hold Steve Jobs accountable, because Jobs works for me...he works for the shareholders. Other people may disagree with me and that is fine all I am expressing is my opinion, you are entitled to your opinion as well Mac Guru, but please do not ever tell me to shut up again.</STRONG>

lee vieira
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2001, 03:10 PM

Gentlemen, please calm down. Flame wars are dumb, and they make my fingers tired from deleting posts.

I'm sure the two of you are mature enough to disagree strongly with each other without resorting to insults or hyper-emotional outbursts. Proceed, but try to keep it at least semi-civil.

--lee

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2001, 03:14 PM

I agree completely.
~Peace~

Get Cubed
Jul 13, 2001, 03:37 PM

If the Micro Center prices ($999 and $1299 with two models at each price) are to believed then something doesn't fit. What would account for yet another $100 increase for an entry-level CRT iMac? Last time we got Airport and Firewire. A G4 processor? Combo drive? Perhaps. But for the entry-level model? On the other hand if it is an LCD iMac (albeit with a G3) I could see the pricing. However, it was mentioned that Micro Center wouldn't necessarily get all the new iMac SKUs and pricing, especially if a surprise was in store.

Get Cubed

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2001, 03:51 PM

OK, I can not resist posting my prediction too.

iMac | 400 Mhz G3, CD, 15" CRT, 64MB 10GB | $799
iMac | 500 Mhz G3 CD-RW, 15" CRT 128MB 20GB | $999
iMac SE | 666 Mhz G3 SuperDrive 15" CRT 256MB 40MB | $1299
"lowend" iMac will be blue, the others will have 2 colors, snow and graphite.

We all know LCDs and G4 are next, but I think we're getting ahead of ourselves. Expect them in 2002. Have fun flaming me.

tsheley
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2001, 03:54 PM

I think that there will be a new LCD Mac somewhere between the iMac and the PowerMac. Right in the space the Cube left.

Just my opinion
1.6ghz G5 Power Mac/1.5GB RAM/Superdrive

Get Cubed
Jul 13, 2001, 03:55 PM

MacUser UK is reporting on Apple rebates to help sales of what they expect to be simply speed-bumped G3 CRT iMacs next week. The article is just a little too specific to discount but I feel it could still go either way, that is CRT vs LCD. An LCD iMac would have to cost more than a CRT iMac so what do you do to sell the higher prices to the public? You offer rebates to offset the higher prices. Of course, now that I think about it this could also apply to CRT iMacs if there is some sort of significant improvement other than an LCD being added such as a G4 processor or a combo drive. Ahhh! Has there ever been this much uncertainty before a keynote before?

Get Cubed

Forum Links
Forum Rules