Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual-core G5 and SATA 300 vs SATA 150 drives

Dual-core G5 and SATA 300 vs SATA 150 drives
madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2005, 12:17 PM

I just bought a new Dual-core 2.3GHz PowerMac and I have a question concerning the Serial-ATA drive.

The system came with a 250GB (WDC WD2500JS-41MVB1) SATA 300 drive and I am wondering if I need to also get the same type, SATA 300 vs SATA 150, when I purchase another drive for the second slot? In other words, should both drives be SATA 300s to function properly or can one be an SATA 150?

I did notice the drives in our office Macs, 2.7GHz dual processors are SATA 150 drives (WDC WD2500JD-41HBC0) and they are quieter when accessing data than my drive.

Any help would be appreciated.
Power Mac Quad G5 2.5GHz, OS X 10.4.10
===
Aluminum 23" HD Cinema Display
===
Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4 w/Superdrive
===
iPhone 8GB

Al G
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2005, 02:42 PM

SATA 150 is fine.
Your Mac could help understand and cure disease

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Al G
SATA 150 is fine.
Cool, thanks! Now to figure out why this drive makes grinding type noises when accessing the disk
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2005, 03:02 PM

SATA is forward and backward compatible, so you can use 150MBps and 300MBps drives and controllers with each other. You may miss out on some performance enhancing features like NCQ by buying/using parts that support the older standards, but I don't think the PowerMacs support NCQ anyway.
Noise is not related to the SATA standard that the drive supports.

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
SATA is forward and backward compatible, so you can use 150MBps and 300MBps drives and controllers with each other. You may miss out on some performance enhancing features like NCQ by buying/using parts that support the older standards, but I don't think the PowerMacs support NCQ anyway.
Noise is not related to the SATA standard that the drive supports.

Okay, thanks. I'll just stick with the SATA 300 since the price isn't bad. The noise I hear is actually the heads accessing as I've heard it on other drives before. It's just that our work Mac drives are soooo quiet when accessing and my newer Mac drive is noticeable louder. Same company drives but different model numbers. I'll have to get with them on that though.
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2005, 11:58 PM

One of the first things I noticed about my new G5 was the noise of the HD when accessing. I added a new Maxtor drive to the second drive bay and it's almost as loud as the stock WD drive. Guess I'll just have to get used to it.

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2005, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by iDaver
One of the first things I noticed about my new G5 was the noise of the HD when accessing. I added a new Maxtor drive to the second drive bay and it's almost as loud as the stock WD drive. Guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Do you have one of the newer Dual-core Power Macs that came out in October?
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2005, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by madgreek
Do you have one of the newer Dual-core Power Macs that came out in October?
Yes, the DC 2.0. First sound I hear from across the room when I get new mail is the disk storing it; then, the mail alert sound.

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2005, 04:09 AM

Ahhh, so it sounds like it's our newer Macs doing this. I'll be heading over to the Apple store today when they open to check on their drives on their Dual-core Macs and see if it's as noisy on those.

I also wrote a detail explanation of the situation to WesterDigital.
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2005, 11:26 AM

In a noisy Apple Store, you might not even be able to hear the drive access noise. It's not THAT loud, after all. When, like me, you're used to nearly silent laptop drives, it seems pretty noisy. I've never been able to hear anything in an Apple Store with all the music and stuff going on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules