Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > External Mic problem

External Mic problem
nikoz1200
Dec 5, 2005, 01:28 PM

I have really gotten to like Skye, so decided to get an external mic instead of using the built in one. (it's a 12" 1.5 ghz pb by the way)

However, i can't get a signal through by plugging the mic into the line-in port. I know the mic works fine, and even tried another mic on the pb, and it doesn't work either. I tried it on my dad's powerbook also, and it doesn't work there either.

In system prefs, I open the SOUND menu, and select Audio Line In Port. It shows no volume input when the mic is plugged in.

I took the computer to the genious bar, and the guy plugged in some ear buds, rubbed them together and the level meter moved. What the hell am i doing wrong here???

nick

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2005, 01:39 PM

I think you need an amplified source for line in (and that is the difference between line in and mic in). But before buying one wait for someone else to confirm my guess.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2005, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by nikoz1200
I have really gotten to like Skye, so decided to get an external mic instead of using the built in one. (it's a 12" 1.5 ghz pb by the way)

However, i can't get a signal through by plugging the mic into the line-in port. I know the mic works fine, and even tried another mic on the pb, and it doesn't work either. I tried it on my dad's powerbook also, and it doesn't work there either.

In system prefs, I open the SOUND menu, and select Audio Line In Port. It shows no volume input when the mic is plugged in.

I took the computer to the genious bar, and the guy plugged in some ear buds, rubbed them together and the level meter moved. What the hell am i doing wrong here???

nick
I'm surprised (and disappointed) the Genius Bar didn't know what's happening? On the laptops, line-in does not mean mic-in, so you'll either have to get a Griffin iMic (usb, which has a switch to go from line-in to mic-in) or you should buy a usb headset, something like the Plantronics dsp-500 ($45 from amazon.com.)

I've got the Griffin iMic, and it's a hassle with the extra connections necessary, not even counting carrying it around or finding it in the backpack. I'd recommend going straight to the usb headset.

nikoz1200  (op)
Dec 6, 2005, 10:29 AM

Thanks for that info. I'll check out a USB headset. Just curious now, what is the line in used for then if a mic connection is not supported?... direct connection to an external music device to record it on the pb or what? seems like a mic in or even better a switchable input would be a better option.

Dewaine
Dec 6, 2005, 11:24 AM

The line in is for recording any amplified external source. THis could be audio from a vcr, guitar amp, radio, tv, turntable, 8-track, .... just about anything. I assume they did not put a mike input on because the PB has the built in mic. I use an external mic in my music, but of course have it coming out of a mixer.

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2005, 04:35 PM

i believe this is a stereo vs. mono problem... the mic in is mono but I am guessing that the headset/external mic you're using is stereo...
my roommate had a problem like that so he built himself a stereo converter that amplified the sound into the PB... it was really cool, this kid is a genius
Switched 7/7/05
12'' PowerBook G4 with AirPort Express, still goin' strong

Forum Links
Forum Rules