Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Verizon DSL: Good, Bad or Ugly?

Verizon DSL: Good, Bad or Ugly?
Monstermind
Jan 8, 2006, 08:04 PM

I'm thinking of switching from sh_tty 56k to the cheaper of the 2 Verizon DSL offerings (the $14.95/mo one).

Anybody here have any experience with this service?

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2006, 12:35 AM

I have the faster tier, there's nothing wrong with it. The slower tier will be exactly that, slower. It's still fine. I'm tempted to switch to it to save money. Of course, it'll never happen
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2006, 03:13 AM

I've been using the faster service for over a year and really don't have any complaints. As Scottheking said, the service you are considering will simply be slower than what he and I use. The only thing that sort of bugs me sometimes is that the PPPoE resets the IP address quite frequently but it's very minor annoyance that most people may never even notice.

At any rate, it will be worlds better than what you are using now...

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 9, 2006, 09:33 AM

The media part of DSL is generally "just DSL." In other words, it's all pretty much the same for just about all providers. Verizon's offering is both the DSL connection and an ISP, which is where you should be concentrating. So far as I've seen, Verizon doesn't have too many "avoid like the plague" advocates.

Look here at BroadbandReports' compilation of reviews of various U.S. providers (National ISPs/Telco ADSL is about 2/3s down the page). Verizon scores "ok" (and just below SBC, which I use). Unless you need a lot of handholding, a lot of "first do this..." tech support, or fancy hosting tools (not likely when you're looking at the economy rate plan), Verizon should do fine for you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Monstermind  (op)
Jan 9, 2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by chefpastry
I've been using the faster service for over a year and really don't have any complaints. As Scottheking said, the service you are considering will simply be slower than what he and I use. The only thing that sort of bugs me sometimes is that the PPPoE resets the IP address quite frequently but it's very minor annoyance that most people may never even notice.

At any rate, it will be worlds better than what you are using now...
That's all I need. Considering it costs $20+tax/month for the 56k I'm getting VS the $15/month (prepaid for a year, plus shipping & whatever the hell other charges Verizon has in store for me), the latter appears cheaper at first glance, even if it's not 3 megs per second.

I'm not jonesing for download speed; I'm just deciding whether I should bother to pop for a $50 USB modem for my soon-to-be new G5 or just save my money for (slightly) bigger & better things.

Much obleeged.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 9, 2006, 09:17 PM

I almost went off in a triade about USB DSL modems. But then I reread and all was clear.

I'd skip any and all dialup modems, and just go with the DSL...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules