Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cheapest place for a 15" PB?

Cheapest place for a 15" PB?
Heavy
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 10:47 AM

I figure since they're discontinued now, they'd be blowing them out, but stores still seem to be selling them for the same price ($2K) as the 1.83 MBP. I've decided to try and get one of these and in a year I'll move to the intel macs. Can anyone suggest the best place for price? I want to get applecare too.

I don't want refurbished though. Heard too many bad stories.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 03:58 PM

Strangely, I haven't seen the 15 inch Powerbooks discounted at any retailer either. Usually previous models are always discounted once the new ones come out but perhaps Apple didn't make that many of them. I've seen new unopened high resolution PB's on ebay selling for much less than $1999. I don't know if you're comfortable buying there, but if you pick a seller with 100% feedback and lots of transactions you should be ok. In most cases the warranty is transferable to you and you can purchase applecare within a year of the hardware warranty. Read the item description carefully, sometimes the sellers appear to be confused as to which model they are actually selling. If they don't mention things like the screen resolution or what type of drive it has--ask.

skemple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Heavy
I figure since they're discontinued now, they'd be blowing them out, but stores still seem to be selling them for the same price ($2K) as the 1.83 MBP. I've decided to try and get one of these and in a year I'll move to the intel macs. Can anyone suggest the best place for price? I want to get applecare too.

I don't want refurbished though. Heard too many bad stories.

I went to my local CompUSA the other day to check out their Macbook Pro demo unit (still waiting for mine) while I was there I noticed the 15" Powerbook was marked down to $1599. I don't know if every store has them that price, but it might be worth checking out.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2006, 09:11 PM

Just like all the current models, I'd guess Apple won't let the resellers discount them.

Only place for a discount is the refurbs from Apple.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by skemple
I went to my local CompUSA the other day to check out their Macbook Pro demo unit (still waiting for mine) while I was there I noticed the 15" Powerbook was marked down to $1599. I don't know if every store has them that price, but it might be worth checking out.
Where is that store located Skemple? That sounds good. I was at CompUSA today and they only had a 15" demo with 1.5 Ghz. I asked the manager if other stores had one, and he said no.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 09:39 PM

Musicians Friend is still selling them at full $1999 too. ???

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Strangely, I haven't seen the 15 inch Powerbooks discounted at any retailer either. Usually previous models are always discounted once the new ones come out but perhaps Apple didn't make that many of them. I've seen new unopened high resolution PB's on ebay selling for much less than $1999. I don't know if you're comfortable buying there, but if you pick a seller with 100% feedback and lots of transactions you should be ok. In most cases the warranty is transferable to you and you can purchase applecare within a year of the hardware warranty. Read the item description carefully, sometimes the sellers appear to be confused as to which model they are actually selling. If they don't mention things like the screen resolution or what type of drive it has--ask.

I asked that CompUSA guy if I had to buy Applecare at the time of purchase, and he said yes it had to be written up together! This guy really was trying to screw me. He also told me that Mac was keeping the ibooks, powerbooks as they are, and the only intel notebooks would be the MBP's!

skemple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Heavy
Where is that store located Skemple? That sounds good. I was at CompUSA today and they only had a 15" demo with 1.5 Ghz. I asked the manager if other stores had one, and he said no.
The CompUSA is that I went to is at

366 East 1300 South
University Crossing Shopping Center
Orem, UT 84058

john h
Mar 6, 2006, 02:42 PM

I was in CompUSA yesterday and they have 6 15" Titanum PB's in stock and are not discounting them. Apple of course no longer sells them on their web site.

hickey
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 02:45 PM

i got my pbook off of craigslist, I got kind of lucky though. I dont reccommend others doing this.

Necrocool
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 03:27 PM

UCSD bookstore been selling the high-res 15" PB for $1399 for a while. Last time I checked they still have 20 left.

jeffnudi
Mar 6, 2006, 10:50 PM

I just bought a 15" PowerBook at the Apple store in the Saint Louis Galeria for $1,499.95. My 5+ years old iBook was having serious problems, which the tech at the store diagnosed as a bad logic board. I was going to go home and check out the refurb PowerBooks, and the guy told me they had one 15" demo that they just took off the floor. So far, i'm loving this thing. Still running it with my old AirPort Base Station. Considering buying a new faster wireless to match the iirport Extreme that is in the PowerBook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules