Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iMovie'08 can't run on G4

iMovie'08 can't run on G4
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 05:26 PM

Sadly, iMovie'08 requires a G5 or Intel processor. Since I'm still using a PowerBook G4, there's little point in buying iLife'08. I'll just wait until I buy a new laptop.

Apple - iLife - System Requirements

Of course, some website out there will hack a way to install iMovie onto a G4.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2007, 05:51 PM

It should install anyway. Don't give up before you try it

Juneappal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Sadly, iMovie'08 requires a G5 or Intel processor. Since I'm still using a PowerBook G4, there's little point in buying iLife'08. I'll just wait until I buy a new laptop.

Apple - iLife - System Requirements

Of course, some website out there will hack a way to install iMovie onto a G4.
Wow not just any any g5, either:
"Movie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster)"

Dual 2.0 or faster?!? My dual 1.8 can't hack it?

Even if you can get it to install and launch on a g4 it doesn't sound like you would want to actually run it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 06:05 PM

Yeah, I tried installing a newer version of iMovie on my theoretically supported (i think) iMac G3 and I couldn't even get it to output a movie with a remotely decent framerate.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Juneappal View Post
Wow not just any any g5, either:
"Movie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster)"

Dual 2.0 or faster?!? My dual 1.8 can't hack it?

Even if you can get it to install and launch on a g4 it doesn't sound like you would want to actually run it.
Dual 1.8 here too. I'm still getting it. Guess I will leave iLife '06 on my iBook G4.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It should install anyway. Don't give up before you try it
I had no idea about the requirement. I found out when iLife installer said that iMovie '08 wouldn't be installed. Oh well, I only use iPhoto anyway.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 10:05 PM

It kinda makes sense though, it is a brand new App and they probably mean it to last for a very long time. Ooo I wonder if this means it's Cocoa now.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 7, 2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
It kinda makes sense though, it is a brand new App and they probably mean it to last for a very long time. Ooo I wonder if this means it's Cocoa now.
It's been Cocoa for a while. I think it was Cocoa by its third release. People were furious because it was slower than the Carbon version.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 12:20 AM

eee. More and more my Dual 1.8 G5 is looking old

-Owl

passmaster16
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post
eee. More and more my Dual 1.8 G5 is looking old
It's a shame really. A few months ago I was debating on whether to upgrade the Ram on my Dual 1.8 G5, but I decided to sell it on fleebay and got a Mac Pro. Really wasn't looking to make that move so soon as I only had the G5 a little over 3 years, but I figured that if the speed itself didn't hold me up, the architecture would. We'll probably be seeing more of this from Apple with regard to certain apps.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I had no idea about the requirement. I found out when iLife installer said that iMovie '08 wouldn't be installed. Oh well, I only use iPhoto anyway.
I have a dual 1.8 G5. So I can install iPhoto but not iMovie. Can I still use the old iMovie with the new iPhoto?

Ganesha
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 05:36 PM

The installer moved my old copy of iMovie to its own folder, so the old iMovie still works.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2007, 02:13 AM

Um, I have an intel iMac 1.83ghz and iMovie says it won't install it! WTF mate!!

jamiemcf
Aug 10, 2007, 02:22 AM

I'm a bit worried now. I have a Macbook 1.83Ghz Core Duo, is it gonna work for me? If it doesn't work on the iMac with a higher graphics card I doubt it will on Macbook huh?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2007, 04:15 AM

There will probably be some simple hack to allow it to run. You can install it anyway by using Pacifist to extract it from the meta package on the installer CD.

shooter2jim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2007, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
There will probably be some simple hack to allow it to run. You can install it anyway by using Pacifist to extract it from the meta package on the installer CD.
I've extracted it but don't know how to do install it. PBG4.... do you think it will install. There is a hardware checker in there. Maybe someone knows how to extract it PERMANENTLY. This is Aperture all over again.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 02:25 AM

Nothing a little elbow grease can't fix...

iMovie ’08 on G4?
MacBook Pro

jamiemcf
Aug 11, 2007, 03:01 PM

I got iLife and iMovie 08 seems to work fine on my 1.83Ghz Macbook Core Duo. Hasn't crashed or anything so far and I uploaded 4 or 5 movies to my Web gallery.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by gbafan View Post
Nothing a little elbow grease can't fix...

iMovie ’08 on G4?
So how does it run on a G4? Anyone tried this?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2007, 06:49 PM

It probably works fine with regular video, but h.264 HD is close to unusable even on my 2Ghz Core duo. I should say, it works, but with all the skimming, and skimming necessary for many editing functions, it's not fun.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
It probably works fine with regular video, but h.264 HD is close to unusable even on my 2Ghz Core duo. I should say, it works, but with all the skimming, and skimming necessary for many editing functions, it's not fun.
So far it's ran very well on my PBG4 1.5Ghz with 1.25GB RAM. I'm only using SD video though so I can't speak for HD experiences.

The more and more I use iMovie '08 the more I like it. It's a little strange at first but after spending sometime with it to make a movie I really enjoyed the ability to skim video in real time as well as see all my footage from other projects.

Once I move into HD I'll have to upgrade my PB I'm sure
MacBook Pro

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2007, 01:50 PM

After playing with HD a bit, what I notice is that, if the footage is in a 10-15 sec. long clip, skimming is fine. Where it stutters and pauses is when the footage is above 30 sec. or so. I don't even have anything longer than about a minute, but I can't imagine what it would be like with, say, 15 minutes of footage.

ender78
Aug 15, 2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Trying to install now on 2.0GHz MBP and no go, my system also apparently does not meet requirements What is going on. On hold with Apple now for almost 30 minutes.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 08:13 PM

It's pretty clear by now that this software is trash. Otherwise, Apple wouldn't be giving '06 away to '08 customers.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It's pretty clear by now that this software is trash. Otherwise, Apple wouldn't be giving '06 away to '08 customers.
It's pretty clear now that you've not used iMovie '08. What it does, it does well. The problem is, it doesn't DO everything '06 did.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Um, I have an intel iMac 1.83ghz and iMovie says it won't install it! WTF mate!!
LOL... I have an iMac PPC 1.8 GHz and iMovie 08 installed and runs fine

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2007, 10:30 AM

I gotta say, iMovie 08 isn't all its cracked up to be. Its a downgrade. Stick with the old version.

Apple Takes a Step Back With iMovie ’08 - Pogue’s Posts - Technology - New York Times Blog

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by passmaster16 View Post
It's a shame really. A few months ago I was debating on whether to upgrade the Ram on my Dual 1.8 G5, but I decided to sell it on fleebay and got a Mac Pro. Really wasn't looking to make that move so soon as I only had the G5 a little over 3 years, but I figured that if the speed itself didn't hold me up, the architecture would. We'll probably be seeing more of this from Apple with regard to certain apps.
It is a bit silly that Final Cut Studio and Aperture will run fine on any G5, but iLife won't. Geeze Apple.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2007, 11:16 PM

A sign of things to come, it seems - forced obsolescence.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2007, 11:26 PM

Gee, Apple's never cut off old hardware before.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 19, 2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
A sign of things to come, it seems - forced obsolescence.
We all shed a tear for you and your PowerPC.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2007, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It is a bit silly that Final Cut Studio and Aperture will run fine on any G5, but iLife won't. Geeze Apple.
until the next iteration

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2007, 09:17 AM

In fact, Final Cut Studio 2 will still install on G4s. You can't use all the features, but it works.

The system reqs for iMovie '08 do seem pretty steep by comparison.

Forum Links
Forum Rules