Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme with FiOS

Airport Extreme with FiOS
Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2008, 11:56 PM

I recently switched to verizon FiOS and I have to say that they're one of the best ISPs I've ever used. When the guys installed it, they gave me a rather mediocre router, I thought w/e, I'll just switch back to my airport extreme when they're all done. Then I check out the back of that router and find a coax cable running into it. I've googled online and found a guide to bridge the connection from verizon's router to another router. I tried to do this with my airport extreme but it couldn't find an IP address to stick to. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or knows how to set up the airport correctly so I can have my gigabit and N speeds between my computers again.

here's the guide I used (it's all the way at the bottom)
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Netw..._22390536.html
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2008, 12:53 AM

Why bridge? Just set the Airport up as a normal router and treat the Verizon router like any other upstream. Plug everything into (wired or wireless) the Airport.

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2008, 01:56 AM

Well I had the airport set up as a bridge for a couple days but the download speed just totally cut in half. I read that some people who also did that had the same effect. I just want to disable the verizon router and use the airport as the one and only router. I'm not sure what settings exactly to use to get everything up and running.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2008, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Why bridge? Just set the Airport up as a normal router and treat the Verizon router like any other upstream. Plug everything into (wired or wireless) the Airport.
Because you don't want two LAN devices performing NAT. It doesn't work well. Put AE into bridge mode. I can't find a specific tutorial on how to do it, but it certainly has to be some place in the Airport software. It should still grab an address from the Verizon router. If not, then there should be a user guide for the Verizon router with instruction on putting it in Bridge mode.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211 View Post
I just want to disable the verizon router and use the airport as the one and only router. I'm not sure what settings exactly to use to get everything up and running.
Set the Verizon box up "normally" as it would be used if you were Joe Schmoe just plugging a computer into it. Plug the Airport into the Verizon box and treat the Verizon box as if it's any other cable or DSL modem.

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Because you don't want two LAN devices performing NAT. It doesn't work well.
Sure, if you have devices in both tiers. As long as all your devices are connected to the Airport, the network configuration upstream doesn't matter.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2008, 07:53 PM

I think it still causes an unnecessary slow-down, don't you agree? It adds a layer of complexity to the LAN that doesn't need to exist.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2008, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Set the Verizon box up "normally" as it would be used if you were Joe Schmoe just plugging a computer into it. Plug the Airport into the Verizon box and treat the Verizon box as if it's any other cable or DSL modem.
That's what I did at first, but I figured that everything would still be passing through the verizon router.
I got tired of it all so I decided call up verizon to switch my coax connection to an ethernet connection.

lorenzo111
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2008, 12:45 AM

I install verizon fios and I have a mac believe i can provide a little support for you.

First since you have a coax connection to the router do you have the TV service also?
If you answer no then you can have us come back out and run a cat5 there and use the apple router
If you answer yes we can still hook up a NIM device to give IPs to the set top boxes but customers have experienced problems with video on demand doing that

Second there is nothing actually wrong with the Actiontec router verizon contracts them to build it to our specs. I have installed that router in many bussiness running static ips with no problems. The router is completely configurable and is a 802.11g

Third to finish it off you can connect the apple router to ours and have it except DHCP and just connect to the apple router have setup customers networks like that many of times with no problems.

P.S. If you had the install over thirty days they might charge you for a data jack to have someone run another cable get a sales agent's name and deaprtment wrote down for your records so you dont see a mysterious charge 2 months later

Take care. I love my fios have the 20mps download with 5 mps upload connection

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2008, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by lorenzo111 View Post
I install verizon fios and I have a mac believe i can provide a little support for you.

First since you have a coax connection to the router do you have the TV service also?
If you answer no then you can have us come back out and run a cat5 there and use the apple router
If you answer yes we can still hook up a NIM device to give IPs to the set top boxes but customers have experienced problems with video on demand doing that

Second there is nothing actually wrong with the Actiontec router verizon contracts them to build it to our specs. I have installed that router in many bussiness running static ips with no problems. The router is completely configurable and is a 802.11g

Third to finish it off you can connect the apple router to ours and have it except DHCP and just connect to the apple router have setup customers networks like that many of times with no problems.

P.S. If you had the install over thirty days they might charge you for a data jack to have someone run another cable get a sales agent's name and deaprtment wrote down for your records so you dont see a mysterious charge 2 months later

Take care. I love my fios have the 20mps download with 5 mps upload connection
Thanks for your advice, but I already solved my problem.
I ran an ethernet cable from my ONT to my airport, then I called up verizon and they quickly switched my data connection from coax to ethernet. Now I use the actiontec instead of buying a NIM to get my video on demand and my guide for FiOS TV. This seems like such a better way to overcome this problem, rather than going through all that trouble of bridging the actiontec. I personally don't like the actiontec because of only fast ethernet instead of gigabit, lack of wireless-N, and the small NAT table.

bmn
Aug 11, 2008, 10:03 AM

Thanks for your advice, but I already solved my problem.
I ran an ethernet cable from my ONT to my airport, then I called up verizon and they quickly switched my data connection from coax to ethernet. Now I use the actiontec instead of buying a NIM to get my video on demand and my guide for FiOS TV. This seems like such a better way to overcome this problem, rather than going through all that trouble of bridging the actiontec. I personally don't like the actiontec because of only fast ethernet instead of gigabit, lack of wireless-N, and the small NAT table.
I just had my FIOS installed in NJ 3 days ago (Phone, TV, and Internet) and realized that I could've had my Ethernet Port activated and use my Airport Extreme. RIght now everything is ran over COAX to the set top boxes and Actiontec. How can I tell if my Ethernet Port is activated? Should I plug in a laptop? Would they give me issues when I make this request to make this change? Once I get them to activate the Ethernet Port and I plug in my Airport, do I leave the Actiontec in place? What did you do so your set top boxes still had access to the internet? Did you run an Ethernet cable from the LAN port to the WAN port on the Actiontec and change the Actiontec to be a bridge? And after you did that, did you leave the COAX cable plugged in and that's how the Set Stop Boxes are getting internet? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by bmn View Post
I just had my FIOS installed in NJ 3 days ago (Phone, TV, and Internet) and realized that I could've had my Ethernet Port activated and use my Airport Extreme. RIght now everything is ran over COAX to the set top boxes and Actiontec. How can I tell if my Ethernet Port is activated? Should I plug in a laptop? Would they give me issues when I make this request to make this change? Once I get them to activate the Ethernet Port and I plug in my Airport, do I leave the Actiontec in place? What did you do so your set top boxes still had access to the internet? Did you run an Ethernet cable from the LAN port to the WAN port on the Actiontec and change the Actiontec to be a bridge? And after you did that, did you leave the COAX cable plugged in and that's how the Set Stop Boxes are getting internet? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!
It's really easy, just call up Verizon and ask the data connection to be switched from coax to ethernet, since the ethernet port isn't activated at the moment. They'll tell you that you'll lose video on demand and the guide blah blah blah and just tell them you know that. Once the data connection has been switched, just run an ethernet cable from the ONT outside to your airport extreme and hook it up to the WAN port on it. To get VOD and the guide for your set top boxes, just leave the coax connection connected to the actiontec router, and hook an ethernet cable from the WAN port on the actiontec to a LAN port on the airport extreme. You shouldn't have to change any settings on the actiontec. Then everything should be working and you don't have to deal with that stupid router anymore. Hope this helps.

bmn
Aug 11, 2008, 10:44 PM

It's really easy, just call up Verizon and ask the data connection to be switched from coax to ethernet, since the ethernet port isn't activated at the moment. They'll tell you that you'll lose video on demand and the guide blah blah blah and just tell them you know that. Once the data connection has been switched, just run an ethernet cable from the ONT outside to your airport extreme and hook it up to the WAN port on it. To get VOD and the guide for your set top boxes, just leave the coax connection connected to the actiontec router, and hook an ethernet cable from the WAN port on the actiontec to a LAN port on the airport extreme. You shouldn't have to change any settings on the actiontec. Then everything should be working and you don't have to deal with that stupid router anymore. Hope this helps.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!! It worked as designed! The Airport Extreme is 1st in line after the ONT. I attached the ActionTec like you said and the STB for the TV are getting the GUIDE and VOD. The internet seems snapper too. I don't get a hesitation as before. Now I feel secure with the Apple Security Settings etc....THANKS!

Cold Warrior
Aug 11, 2008, 11:01 PM

Outstanding detailed advice Velocity. Thanks.

bmn
Aug 12, 2008, 09:35 AM

Yes, thank you Velocity211! I watched On Demand last night and everything worked. Internet worked. STB Work. Thanks!

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2008, 02:04 PM

How can I use Time Capsule with Fios? I don't have one yet but am thinking of getting one. I would only use it for the wireless backup with Time Machine for my desktop Mac and Macbook, Or would I be better just getting a large external drive with Ethernet?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2008, 10:30 PM

Get a FioS modem with ethernet and plug the TC into it; just 99% of wifi routers.

davemac616
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2008, 01:24 PM

If you piggyback the Airport Extreme (or even if you don't) can you access your home Mac remotely with Back to my Mac?

I'm thinking about switching to Verizon Fios from Comcast but I don't want to lose that functionality.

adr1974
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2008, 11:48 AM

Velocity -- also wanted to thank you for your excellent advice. After scouring the web, yours was by far the most easily adapted set-up that achieved the desired results. Took a few minutes last night, and now everything is working great! Thanks again!

jds670
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2008, 01:23 AM

Thanks velocity everything works perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

psurgery
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2008, 09:17 PM

Forgive me- maybe I'm a bit of a novice. I have FIOS with TV/Phone/Internet, trying to use an Airport Extreme. Simply plugging the Ethernet that now goes to my Actiontec router's WAN port into my Airport's WAN port, I'm not able to connect to the internet. Posts in other places suggested going into the Actiontec setup to release the IP address but my router's configuration has no such setting. Any help is appreciated before I return my Airport.

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by psurgery View Post
Forgive me- maybe I'm a bit of a novice. I have FIOS with TV/Phone/Internet, trying to use an Airport Extreme. Simply plugging the Ethernet that now goes to my Actiontec router's WAN port into my Airport's WAN port, I'm not able to connect to the internet. Posts in other places suggested going into the Actiontec setup to release the IP address but my router's configuration has no such setting. Any help is appreciated before I return my Airport.
Maybe you could call verizon and get your DHCP released? I'm not sure about your situation.

NJRonbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2008, 08:06 AM

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for an individual who can spend some time to carefully take me through
the steps of piggybacking my Apple router off of my new Verizon router (pictured above).

I realize some of the process is discussed earlier in this thread but I found some of it
difficult to follow, and I think I may have a newer Verizon router than what may have
been previously discussed. There are also some functions of this Verizon router that
I cannot have disabled. Will talk about all of that below...

To Begin With

I switched from DirecTV to Verizon Fios this past week. The tech who came to my
home told me that I would need one of their routers if I wanted the DATA (channel
text information) transmitted to all the displays in my home. This would mean, of
course, my Airport Extreme Router would have to go.

Since switching to the Verizon MI424WR router, my Wifi signal at far ends of the
house constantly goes up and down. This was never a problem with the Apple router.

Need to Piggyback the Apple Router but not disable critical Verizon Functions

I need my Apple Airport Extreme router back.

Problem is, the Verizon router provides critical data information to all my displays. So,
hopefully there is a method that I can piggyback the Apple Router and turn off the Verizon
WiFi function without affecting its data transmission to the other televisions.

Simple Instructions Please

I have basic knowledge of setting up and making changes to a router. I usually use
software to do all the needed settings. However, in the case of the Verizon router I
am using a MACINTOSH and cannot use their software on my PC. I do have access to
Windows XP via virtual software (Parallels), but I know the Verizon tech had such a hard
time accessing the Verizon router using that software and had to resort to the Windows
laptop he brought.

I am hoping that I can simply bring up an IP address in my browser and make the
needed changes through that. I am sure I also need to call Verizon and have them
turn off functions.

If someone would take the time to walk me through the process from hooking up the
Apple router to one of the ethernet ports on the Verizon router, to making all the
necessary changes in easy-to-understand language, it would be of great benefit
to myself and everyone else reading this thread.

....and what is ONT stand for?

Thanks in Advance!

jkgco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2009, 10:27 AM

I have Fios and the Actiontec router set up by the Verizon techie for TV /phone/internet (wired to a Windows desktop, and wireless for two Windows laptops).My question is: I want to use your advice in the post above to provide an internet connection for a used PowerMac 4,5 for my young son. Do I need to buy an Airport Extreme, or can I use a cable to connect the PMac to the Actiontec? I'm new to Mac, and it does not appear that this Mac has WiFi capability built in, that's why you need the AE for wireless internet, right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules