Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > AEBS-n Slow Speed

AEBS-n Slow Speed
Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2009, 05:41 PM

So I have an iMac connected to a dual-band AEBS via 802.11n on the 5GHz band. I'm currently transferring a movie to my PS3 which is connected to the AEBS via gigabit ethernet and I noticed the output rate on my iMac is only ~5MB/s. Wouldn't I be getting that rate if I was using 802.11g? It seems awfully slow. I'm not sure if I have the airport settings set up correctly, how can I get true 802.11n speeds?

iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2009, 07:41 PM

5MB/s is 40Mbps, way more than you can get out of g. It is however a bit pathetic for N.

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2009, 07:45 PM

G is 54Mbps if I'm not mistaken? But I understand that you can never really get the advertised speed.
Shouldn't I be getting ~30MB/s, with N? What am I doing wrong?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2009, 09:00 PM

54 Mbps is the advertising number for g; the real maximum throughput is about 22 Mbps.

Same story with n; 300 or 600 Mbps (depending on antenna configuration) is the advertising number, maximum real throughput is ~130 Mbps (15 MBps) with typical antenna setups.

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2009, 11:08 PM

I see, so any suggestions on how to get the 130Mbps speed then?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2009, 11:40 PM

Remove the obstructions between the iMac and the AEBS.

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2009, 11:55 PM

Yeah... There's two feet of air between the two. I would just use ethernet but there are no more open ports (FiOS router, PS3, FTP server).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2009, 01:39 AM

Gigabit switches run about $4/port... will do wonders. Heck even a cruddy old 100Mbps switch will double your throughput.

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2009, 01:48 AM

Uh, if all I do on my iMac is transferring HD movies to my PS3, I would have bought a switch a long time ago. But that doesn't solve my 802.11n problem. I just noticed the slow speeds today when I actually went into activity monitor. I don't want to have wasted money on a router that doesn't do as advertised. I'd rather not wire every single computer, upstairs and downstairs, in my house to ethernet. If I wanted an uber fast wired connection, I would have snatched a 24-port router from work. I just want a good and fast wireless-N network for my house.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2009, 04:32 AM

On the router you need interference robustness to be turned on. Also, go to g/n mixed mode rather than forcing 5 GHz n-only. I'm not familiar with the PS3. Does it actually have a decent wifi module? Finally, what kind of security are you using?

Other sources of interference include cordless phones, microwave ovens, and large metal structures close to the sender/receiver antennas. When my microwave is running my n speeds drop to ~2MB/s. Even though the router and clients aren't even close to the kitchen.

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2009, 11:55 AM

Alright so I just checked interference robustness, but it said that activating it may affect overall network performance, I'm guessing it means it in a negative way?
For the radio mode I put it on automatic which puts it in 802.11a/n - 801.11b/g/n, I'm using WPA2 Personal only for the security as I've heard that mixed WPA/WPA2 decreases performance.
And the PS3's WiFi module is not so spectacular since it's only b/g. So I have it hooked up via gigabit ethernet. I've noticed when I transfer/stream files from my Windows PC which is also hooked via ethernet, the speeds are blazing fast, so there's nothing wrong with the router or PS3.
Besides a cell phone being on, I can't think of any other sources of interference that's anywhere near the computer/router.

ibook_steve
Dec 14, 2009, 12:20 PM

Have you tried it with wireless security turned off?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211 View Post
Uh, if all I do on my iMac is transferring HD movies to my PS3, I would have bought a switch a long time ago. But that doesn't solve my 802.11n problem. I just noticed the slow speeds today when I actually went into activity monitor. I don't want to have wasted money on a router that doesn't do as advertised. I'd rather not wire every single computer, upstairs and downstairs, in my house to ethernet. If I wanted an uber fast wired connection, I would have snatched a 24-port router from work. I just want a good and fast wireless-N network for my house.
So why'd you buy an Apple Airport Base Station?

Alright so I just checked interference robustness, but it said that activating it may affect overall network performance, I'm guessing it means it in a negative way?
If you have interference, IR will help performance/stability. If you don't have interference, IR will hurt performance. Think of IR like driving slower in the rain; performance is down, but you're more likely to arrive instead of crashing.

For the radio mode I put it on automatic which puts it in 802.11a/n - 801.11b/g/n
Use 5Ghz n-only for best performance.

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Have you tried it with wireless security turned off?

Steve
Just tried it, speeds haven't seemed to change

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
So why'd you buy an Apple Airport Base Station?
Because I wanted an 802.11n wireless network for my house. I could have bought a netgear or d-link and be done with it, being an apple fanboy, I naturally bought an AEBS.

If you have interference, IR will help performance/stability. If you don't have interference, IR will hurt performance. Think of IR like driving slower in the rain; performance is down, but you're more likely to arrive instead of crashing.
I see, I'll see how interference robustness will affect the performance. I had it turned off before because I never really thought I had any interference.

Use 5Ghz n-only for best performance.
So was the setting I had it on in my original post the most optimal one?

Forum Links
Forum Rules