Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Opinions on board rework houses for GPU replacement?

Opinions on board rework houses for GPU replacement?
serr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2014, 12:07 PM

Any opinions on board rework houses for GPU replacement? Recommendations?

We have the new batch of GPU faux pas with the 2011 machines now and a legitimate service would be a good thing.

I'm well aware of the obvious scammers to avoid. The place that wants you to send in your entire machine for a flat fee that hopes to find something else minor wrong besides the logic board. They'll charge you additional for the replacement logic board if they actually have to replace that and you get hit for at least $500. Or the kid with a hair dryer (or moms kitchen oven) lying his ass off about professional equipment.

But what about places like NYC Laptop Repair?

Are there legit rework houses out there that get professional results?

We have all these 2007 and now 2011 logic boards that just need good GPUs and they'd run for another 10 years.

snapper02
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2014, 05:29 PM

First of all where are you located, is there a local option?

Apple should just pony up and fix the 2011 logic boards. PERIOD.
Mine has been replaced twice by apple care and last night my 17" crashed and after opening Photoshop- Photoshop popped open an error message saying my Graphics card didn't meet it's requirements or there was a problem with it. Geeze Louise really now Adobe is tell me that the graphics card is flaking out again!!

serr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by snapper02 View Post
First of all where are you located, is there a local option?

Apple should just pony up and fix the 2011 logic boards. PERIOD.
Mine has been replaced twice by apple care and last night my 17" crashed and after opening Photoshop- Photoshop popped open an error message saying my Graphics card didn't meet it's requirements or there was a problem with it. Geeze Louise really now Adobe is tell me that the graphics card is flaking out again!!
Certainly Apple should get out of the denial stage and sue the pants off AMD (like they did to Nvidia in 2008)!

I'm thinking more of myself and after market refurbs. Would be nice to have a professional solution for both 2007 & 2011 GPU replacement. These logic boards without GPU issues run for 10-15 years.

Nothing near me here in Madison, WI.

I've tried 2 different places in CA. Short comment is neither did high enough quality work. The NY shop I mentioned is slightly more expensive but has more recommendations. I guess they'll be next.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 8, 2014, 03:11 PM

Report back, let us know!

Forum Links
Forum Rules